Two UPSers Lose Their Lives At Ontario Air Hub

quad decade guy

The UPS policy is if caught driving vehicles recklessly the employee is to be removed from operating such vehicle and retrained in both LMS system and actual person to person training. The two employee who did the wheelie drive in reverse then throw the into forward to lift the front end in the tug. Management is aware of the wheelie issue tug drivers don’t just learn it day takes the time to discover the wheelie

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Dogmomtoupser

I work on the ramp at DFW. Wheelies can be done very easily using tiger tugs. Actual tug brand tugs are much harder to get to pop a wheelie.

I can tell you that almost everyone who has worked the ramp for awhile has popped a wheelie.

Its is done easily by quickly shifting from reverse to drive while in motion.

I dont know if all gateways have tiger tugs or not, but again it is very easy to do using a tiger brand tug.
You are absolutely right.. majority of ONT ramp is tiger tugs. The accidenct was not on that type though

BrownJetMech

From the pattern of skid marks, debris, and injuries, the tug flipped over on its side, not end over end. The most damning evidence was the skid mark; about 20 feet long, in a 90 degree right-hand arc, ending a few feet from the wreck. From the end of the skid mark started a smear of blood and bits of flesh that ended at the driver’s foot, indicating that he tried in vain to bail out (both occupants were belted in their seats). I quickly examined the suspension and steering and didn’t notice anything broken. That leaves only one explanation: They were piloting this thing at ludicrous speed, whipped it sideways, and flipped it over. I bet most ramp agents didn’t think it could be done, but now they know better.

Integrity

Binge Poster
From the pattern of skid marks, debris, and injuries, the tug flipped over on its side, not end over end. The most damning evidence was the skid mark; about 20 feet long, in a 90 degree right-hand arc, ending a few feet from the wreck. From the end of the skid mark started a smear of blood and bits of flesh that ended at the driver’s foot, indicating that he tried in vain to bail out (both occupants were belted in their seats). I quickly examined the suspension and steering and didn’t notice anything broken. That leaves only one explanation: They were piloting this thing at ludicrous speed, whipped it sideways, and flipped it over. I bet most ramp agents didn’t think it could be done, but now they know better.
There must be security video of the incident. No?

Integrity

Binge Poster
I assume so, but I doubt it will ever be seen by the average UPSer.

More importantly, a fellow mechanic witnessed the crash in its entirety, and his analysis of it was high speed combined with intentionally trying to slide/spin the tug.
Thanks for reply.

Not good.

Very sad.

Everyone who work’s for UPS puts their life on the line everyday, every minute of every day while under the employ of UPS.

Employees should always be treated with the dignity, respect and care that assuming this risk deserves.

Management should be above reproach with their treatment if those under them.

Union officials and Union brothers should accept nothing less than 100% solidarity with regards dignity, respect, and care Union brothers and all UPS employees deserve. Even if it costs us some money.

Unsafe acts of any kind should never be tolerated even if the guilty employee needs to be fired for refusal to follow UPS Safety training.

Any management person who observes unsafe acts of any kind and does nothing should be fired on the spot.

This should be the culture at UPS, this would put those most responsible on notice that UPS safety training must be followed not only in word but in deed as well.

PT Car Washer

I assume so, but I doubt it will ever be seen by the average UPSer.

More importantly, a fellow mechanic witnessed the crash in its entirety, and his analysis of it was high speed combined with intentionally trying to slide/spin the tug.
If a mechanic witness the indecent, where was management? I would have to assume there were supervisors and a manager in the area. I also would have to assume this was not the first time that such recklessness had accord.

BrownJetMech

If a mechanic witness the indecent, where was management?...

I have no idea. Aircraft maintenance has separate supervisors, and they don’t ever come out to check on us unless the airplane has a serious problem. I don’t know where the ramp supes were at. Keep in mind this occurred about 5:30 on a Monday morning. There wasn’t much activity on the ramp. Most aircraft that were flying that day were already loaded up and gone.

You can bet they’re out there now. Supervisor cars everywhere, just lurking and watching people.