Two UPSers Lose Their Lives At Ontario Air Hub

rod

Retired 22 years
I can flip our tugs if I wanted. I took a sharp turn and the tug went up on 2 wheels, the rentals are FAST. So are the PE tugs.
But can you do an actual wheelie with them. I assumed they could be tipped over sideways if you were going to fast and turned sharp. I'm talking an actual wheelie where it comes over backwards on you.

quad decade guy

I'm not sure which agency(maybe several) will investigate this fatal incident. Note I didn't say accident.

Because it's an airport, maybe the FAA/NTSB/OSHA. There will be interviews of all sorts. Imagine when

it's discovered that this type of behavior was chronic and long standing. And reported. There will be a

report on causes and prevention and blame/responsibility. My observation has been that even after a

fatality, the same behaviors continue unabated.

quad decade guy

Right. Lack of supervision and oversight by management.

Yes, it's part of the equation. The deliberately reckless behavior of the deceased worker(s) seems to be

left out. The negligence of mgt. didn't cause their deaths. It contributed. The driver of the tug killed

them both. Negligent homicide, wrongful death? Remember, this behavior was a chronic, well

established, on going routine.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Forklifts have roll cages to prevent pallets stacked on shelves from falling on them; unfortunately, as with most safety measures, these were added after workers had been crushed by falling boxes.

99.99% of the folks who drive tugs on tarmac are able to do so without flipping over.

These 2 yahoos are (were) the .01%.
Only one of them were driving.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Yes, it's part of the equation. The deliberately reckless behavior of the deceased worker(s) seems to be

left out. The negligence of mgt. didn't cause their deaths. It contributed. The driver of the tug killed

them both. Negligent homicide, wrongful death? Remember, this behavior was a chronic, well

established, on going routine.
If this behavior was chronic, well established, on going routine then in my opinion management are more culpable in this instance.

quad decade guy

If this behavior was chronic, well established, on going routine then in my opinion management are more culpable in this instance.

The jet mechanic said so. I believe him. But the ultimate responsibility is on the tug driver with the

caveat of the passenger being a pure victim. Quite possible. And remotely-equipment failure as a

cause/factor. But then, how fast would a tug need to go to turn over?

Integrity

Binge Poster
The jet mechanic said so. I believe him. But the ultimate responsibility is on the tug driver with the

caveat of the passenger being a pure victim. Quite possible. And remotely-equipment failure as a

cause/factor. But then, how fast would a tug need to go to turn over?

I see your point.

MattM

Tugs are governed at maybe 15mph. Standard regular conditions would take a hell of an effort to get one to flip. They are center weighted pretty good.

I have seen ulds and bag carts jack knive, and it never felt like the tug had a chance to flip over.

Gross negligence sounds most feasible.

Weather has some effect it appears. Now was the tug in solid condition? I have seen wheels fall off of tugs, Lugnuts sheered off. Both back and front wheels. Neither incidences had any casualties. We run these in snow too. You may see an occasional horse play slide in the snow with no cargo being pulled.

Pretty much, I don't see how this is easily replicated for normal law abiding drivers. Freak horse play more likely.