Two UPSers Lose Their Lives At Ontario Air Hub

Air Recovery

None of you guys could ever be judges. There is only one driver of the tug. The other guy has to ride with him. Unless you can prove the driver didn't act alone in his foolishness, the passenger is innocent. In fact, I'll take it further... unless there is video or witnesses proving that the driver caused the tip-over through horseplay, neither is he guilty of horseplay by default. I'll take it even further than that... these tugs are KNOWN to buck madly when the gas pedal is pressed. Unless you can prove that the tug didn't pop a wheely and flip backwards onto the workers, your opinions are just opinions.

You are one of those people who have 0 friends irl

quad decade guy

Tugs are governed at maybe 15mph. Standard regular conditions would take a hell of an effort to get one to flip. They are center weighted pretty good.

I have seen ulds and bag carts jack knive, and it never felt like the tug had a chance to flip over.

Gross negligence sounds most feasible.

Weather has some effect it appears. Now was the tug in solid condition? I have seen wheels fall off of tugs, Lugnuts sheered off. Both back and front wheels. Neither incidences had any casualties. We run these in snow too. You may see an occasional horse play slide in the snow with no cargo being pulled.

Pretty much, I don't see how this is easily replicated for normal law abiding drivers. Freak horse play more likely.

Given all that, it's obviously possible. Spock said: "There are always possibilities..."

quad decade guy

Everything at UPS is OVER supervised. I can't believe air hubs are different?

With all respect, come to my hub(feeders) and you can go days without seeing an on road and rarely

on the yard. Our yard speed limit is 10 mph. It is universally broken by every type of vehicle,

sometimes by 40+mph. Stop signs nearly as much. So, the mgt. at air hubs are cut from the same

cloth. Really.

rod

Retired 22 years
With all respect, come to my hub(feeders) and you can go days without seeing an on road and rarely

on the yard. Our yard speed limit is 10 mph. It is universally broken by every type of vehicle,

sometimes by 40+mph. Stop signs nearly as much. So, the mgt. at air hubs are cut from the same

cloth. Really.
You must work for a different UPS than I did. :-)

Poop Head

Judge me.
Tugs are governed at maybe 15mph. Standard regular conditions would take a hell of an effort to get one to flip. They are center weighted pretty good.

I have seen ulds and bag carts jack knive, and it never felt like the tug had a chance to flip over.

Gross negligence sounds most feasible.

Weather has some effect it appears. Now was the tug in solid condition? I have seen wheels fall off of tugs, Lugnuts sheered off. Both back and front wheels. Neither incidences had any casualties. We run these in snow too. You may see an occasional horse play slide in the snow with no cargo being pulled.

Pretty much, I don't see how this is easily replicated for normal law abiding drivers. Freak horse play more likely.
Someone said it was a rental. Not governed at 15mph..

He said, she said..

You must work for a different UPS than I did. :-)
I thought you worked out of a tin shed along with 40 other UPS employees. Not the same as working out of a Hub with hundreds of employees and package cars and Feeders working around the clock 7 days a week. Let alone an air operation.

hexmurph

I work on the ramp at DFW. Wheelies can be done very easily using tiger tugs. Actual tug brand tugs are much harder to get to pop a wheelie.

I can tell you that almost everyone who has worked the ramp for awhile has popped a wheelie.

Its is done easily by quickly shifting from reverse to drive while in motion.

I dont know if all gateways have tiger tugs or not, but again it is very easy to do using a tiger brand tug.

Integrity

Binge Poster

cloth. Really.
Have you reported these chronic violations?

Returntosender

Yes, it's part of the equation. The deliberately reckless behavior of the deceased worker(s) seems to be

left out. The negligence of mgt. didn't cause their deaths. It contributed. The driver of the tug killed

them both. Negligent homicide, wrongful death? Remember, this behavior was a chronic, well

established, on going routine.
The UPS policy is if caught driving vehicles recklessly the employee is to be removed from operating such vehicle and retrained in both LMS system and actual person to person training. The two employee who did the wheelie drive in reverse then throw the into forward to lift the front end in the tug. Management is aware of the wheelie issue tug drivers don’t just learn it day takes the time to discover the wheelie

rod

Retired 22 years
I thought you worked out of a tin shed along with 40 other UPS employees. Not the same as working out of a Hub with hundreds of employees and package cars and Feeders working around the clock 7 days a week. Let alone an air operation.
So you do work for a different UPS-- my tin shed was crawling with management types.