Two weeks of Saturday Ground and... [on topic please]

Same here. Single. No kids. I got nowhere to go on Friday, that I can't just go on Saturday. Until this Saturday ground starts at least. LOL. I get more tired as each day passes. By Friday I'm sucking wind. You bury me on Friday, I'll kick you in the nuts deep into the night
So who cares. Center manager will still be heading home at 4:00 and sups leaving 20 minutes later.

JL 0513

So is it more efficient to idle all of UPS vehicles and sorting facilities and employees two days out of the week? If we are working, UPS is making money.

Yes, technically it is more efficient to be shut down than to open and be running less efficiently. Also remember that both Monday and Saturday now running partial driver staffs yet the building needs to run as if they are full driver shifts (OMS and management staffing). There's probably going to end up being a lot of 6 day punches because of issues with driver scheduling meaning a lot more OT payout.

The main thing I keep pointing out though is the mileage vs stops/volume ratio. That IS going up in the mileage column = less efficient. Why does UPS pay so much attention to Sporh? Because it's an important efficiency metric. Sporh will be way down Sat and Mon. I'm not saying we're not going to make money it will just be a lot less margin on Mondays and Saturdays.

Look at it this way. Would you work a 6th full day at UPS every week for half your regular pay rate? No? Why not? You're still making money aren't ya?

Last edited:

opie

Yeah... the first week, they insisted we do it by ORION, especially ORION 1st stop. After having double digit lates, they didn't mention it, again. ORION doesn't work on Saturday. They're essentially combining two or three weekday routes for the Saturday routes & ORION is even more confused than usual (yes, that is actually possible).

I think I ran 8 Airs last week and 5 this week. Multiples are business upgrades that are apparently being done automatically, and are closed... so... freebie CL1s. Getting the air off on time isn't a challenge for those of us who have some area knowledge & experience routing ourselves. The newbies, though... ug... those guys are completely lost.

I had to go help a guy at 2pm who had 45 stops & had only managed 30. He didn't have a map & his phone battery was dead. HA! Easy money!
Are they using any PT air drivers?

jaker

trolling
Heard the same thing many years ago. "Drivers will work harder on Friday so they can start their weekend earlier."
Maybe that's why I was never heavy on a Friday , because I didn't care what day it was I would stay out as long as it took and came in many times at 9 or 10 when they was trying that

I also schedule 8hrs every other Friday to really deter them

Last edited:

8 Hour Day

So where is Saturday volume coming from and how is Monday so heavy?
Monday isn't heavy. They're just cutting routes like morons.

The Saturday volume - according to the corporate jive we were given - was going to be from UPS telling our big shippers we were going to deliver ground on Saturday. In practice, it's just the ground they can get here by Saturday morning that would normally sit around until Monday.

8 Hour Day

Why are Fridays horrendous? I can understand there stupid little plan making Mondays horrible, but why would it make Friday's horrible? Are they holding volume for Saturday and not dispatching all work Friday?
I'm not 100% sure what's going on, but here's my theory:
They don't have enough drivers to staff Saturdays, so they've been cutting routes on Fridays to coerce drivers into taking Friday off so they need to work on Saturday.

The last two Fridays have been horrible. I'm talking Christmas Eve 2014 horrible.