Two weeks of Saturday Ground and... [on topic please]

8 Hour Day

Not me, and they know it.
So I am one of the few who don't get buried on Fridays.
I have the same mentality. My supe & dispatcher know that if my dispatch is high, I slow the crap down. I just tell 'em "Give me 3, and I'll scratch."

The 3 is: a good truck, a good dispatch and a good load.

Skimp on one of those and all bets are off.

I was advised to do that by an old-timer, and darned if it doesn't work. They learned real quick, too. Give me a 9.5 day & I'll work 9.3. Give me an 9.6 day, and I'll happily work 12.

ManInBrown

I'm not 100% sure what's going on, but here's my theory:
They don't have enough drivers to staff Saturdays, so they've been cutting routes on Fridays to coerce drivers into taking Friday off so they need to work on Saturday.

The last two Fridays have been horrible. I'm talking Christmas Eve 2014 horrible.
The drivers who have there routes being cut, all need to ask where the broom closet is

No... that kinda' pisses them off, too. They were getting a lot of hours on Saturdays that they've now lost. These are ground routes, so they're contractually forbidden from running them.
Not contractually forbidden. Just have to be paid top ground driver rate after all the ground drivers have turned down the extra work. Or Saturday air drivers could run air and ground drivers could run the ground stops. Either way, someone in a suit and tie will make that decision.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ours is two
But that's the min you get. The center also has to give a min number of 8 requests everyday.

Say the center has to give 6 requests per day. And only 4 guys signed up. Even if 2 of those guys have already taken 2 they have to give them a 3rd.

This is all central language. I know many places you can't bring it back on your requests and you just have to file for penalty pay.

iruhnman630

Judging by the comments on upsers, the marketing and account reps are super excited.

You know, those least likely to have their lives outside of UPS significantky altered.

8 Hour Day

Well, today was a total disaster. Aside from way back when I'd run misloads, I'm confident I had my lowest SPORH of my career. I wasn't alone.

I'm pretty friendly with a few supes outside of Brown. I had two separate conversations about the Saturday thing with two different supes this week.

One claimed that his dispatcher is intentionally sabotaging the dispatch to drive up miles & make it virtually impossible to staff the routes with people who will know the entire area. He's supposedly doing this by creating routes that look good at a glance, but actually cover bits & pieces of different loops so few drivers will have enough area knowledge to run them without being at least partially blind. He's also supposedly splicing them together so the RDO will be all screwed up, which will obviously completely screw up ODO.

Judging by what I saw and heard from other drivers, he was quite successful.

The second supe claimed that no one - not even the division manager - wants this to work. That supe made it clear he/she doesn't want it to work (yes, I'm being intentionally ambiguous). So, it's being sabotaged from the top down... As a driver, that means Saturdays are going to be horrendous for the foreseeable future.

My route wasn't the worst, but it was pretty bad. Another guy had over 100 stops that covered parts of 6 routes & 3 different loops.

The tensions are high... I overheard a shouting match between a manager & some suit from corporate. Well, I overheard one line as I walked to clock in.
"You come in here & start yelling at these people, and they'll go the friend* home. They're all 6th punches. They'll go the friend* home, and you'll have these drivers loading their own friendg trucks til noon!"

Makes me proud to wear brown... not.

Brownslave688

Well, today was a total disaster. Aside from way back when I'd run misloads, I'm confident I had my lowest SPORH of my career. I wasn't alone.

I'm pretty friendly with a few supes outside of Brown. I had two separate conversations about the Saturday thing with two different supes this week.

One claimed that his dispatcher is intentionally sabotaging the dispatch to drive up miles & make it virtually impossible to staff the routes with people who will know the entire area. He's supposedly doing this by creating routes that look good at a glance, but actually cover bits & pieces of different loops so few drivers will have enough area knowledge to run them without being at least partially blind. He's also supposedly splicing them together so the RDO will be all screwed up, which will obviously completely screw up ODO.

Judging by what I saw and heard from other drivers, he was quite successful.

The second supe claimed that no one - not even the division manager - wants this to work. That supe made it clear he/she doesn't want it to work (yes, I'm being intentionally ambiguous). So, it's being sabotaged from the top down... As a driver, that means Saturdays are going to be horrendous for the foreseeable future.

My route wasn't the worst, but it was pretty bad. Another guy had over 100 stops that covered parts of 6 routes & 3 different loops.

The tensions are high... I overheard a shouting match between a manager & some suit from corporate. Well, I overheard one line as I walked to clock in.
"You come in here & start yelling at these people, and they'll go the friend* home. They're all 6th punches. They'll go the friend* home, and you'll have these drivers loading their own friendg trucks til noon!"

Makes me proud to wear brown... not.
Lmao this is too funny.

I'll be curious to see how this works over peak when no one will have many hours left to work on Saturday.

8 Hour Day

Lmao this is too funny.

I'll be curious to see how this works over peak when no one will have many hours left to work on Saturday.
It's a little terrifying to be honest. The plan seems to be to run Saturday with a skeleton crew at all costs. So, they're not hiring to compensate for the 6th day. Literally EVERYONE working Saturday was working here prior to this starting... UPS... always trying to do more with less & then acting confused when it doesn't work.

It's a little terrifying to be honest. The plan seems to be to run Saturday with a skeleton crew at all costs. So, they're not hiring to compensate for the 6th day. Literally EVERYONE working Saturday was working here prior to this starting... UPS... always trying to do more with less & then acting confused when it doesn't work.
Most likely planning on using Saturday Air drivers and pay them ground rate. Sorry, I will be working doubles in the Hub for OT after 5 hours and no restrictions on hours worked.

Brownslave688

The people saying this would lead to more full time drivers I'm sorry but LOL.

That's just not how ups does things. They'd rather pay us all 60 hours a week than hire 1 more guy.