Types of protests

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I have protested in the past by peaceful marching.
It was a casual stroll but hot both times.
It seemed to me that a sacrifice of discomfort by the protester was an important part of the action.

I'm wondering about these people protesting by lying on the ground for 4 hours?
Holding your arms up for 4 hours would be a sacrifice but laying on the ground?
Maybe if it was in dog poop.

wkmac

Protests can manifest in many forms, some form of sacrifice or discomfort being one of them. But IMO the underlying point of the protest is a form of non compliance to speak out against some manifestation of society and/or its control mechanism seen as morally harmful or against natural rights for example.

Non compliance comes in many forms with various levels of risk. The greatest sacrifice, the greatest discomfort may not be the outwardly physical that we see but it may be a more personal thing as the person confronts themselves to act against previously held beliefs, many of them very strong.

For some, even saying certain words or giving a certain opinion in public to family and friends may be as huge an act of protest as anything MLK or Gandhi ever did.

I'm betting MLK and Gandhi would agree too!

Last edited:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Now, the Indians (feather kind) are upset that the missiles used on Syria are called Tomahawk. Where was your protest with Apache helicopters. Would you want the missiles named Melvin or Nancy?