Typical sort time?

Hey everyone,

I'm a spliter at a temporary center and it is abosolute hell. Unload over crowds the belt, small sort dumps mountains of smalls, the loader behind me is always giving me :censored2:, and the one truck I load always gets bulks at once. But, supervisors always tell us how the new center were getting in October will make things so much better. They're saying we should be able to get to a 4 hour sort and maybe 5-6 hours during peak. Is that true? I know we typically get like 15,000 for our volume. So is a 4 hour sort ever possible?

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Only 12k for the entire sort?
Try around 175k on a slow day in tx.

Clearly you're not talking about preload. For 175k you'd need like 1000 routes. We average about 16k a day with about 55 routes.

Anyhow to the OP I doubt it'll make the preload faster. When they automated our building they promised all this amazing stuff also: much less misroutes, no bad pals, faster preload sort, preload able to run independently of night sort preventing late starts, etc. So far NONE of those promises came true. There are the same number of misroutes, maybe even more since the automated system blows incorrect pal labels a lot more than the human sorters used to. Night sort routinely runs into preload and causes preload to start late. A lot of packages that used to be able to go straight on the belt now has to be handled as irregs since the automated system can't handle flat packages, rugs, anything over 50lbs, and certain others. The only thing the automated building does better is process smells a lot faster. So don't expect much to change. As a matter of fact, it might get worse.

km3

For 175k you'd need like 1000 routes. We average about 16k a day with about 55 routes.

Yeah...My building has 8 centers. I could see preload running 175k during peak week, but not any other time of year. Otherwise, 50k is average, 70k is heavy, 80k+ is late October/early November volume (and we've had a lot of days like that lately).

The unload and sort itself runs about 2.5-3.5 hours, but preloaders are still loading package cars after 5+.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Yeah...My building has 8 centers. I could see preload running 175k during peak week, but not any other time of year. Otherwise, 50k is average, 70k is heavy, 80k+ is late October/early November volume (and we've had a lot of days like that lately).

The unload and sort itself runs about 2.5-3.5 hours, but preloaders are still loading package cars after 5+.
8 centers, damn! The biggest building in our area (Oakland) is massive also but I'm not sure if it has 8 centers. Is it against the rules if I ask what building you're in? Just curious to what building is massive enough to have 8 centers. How many total routes does your building run?

km3

8 centers, damn! The biggest building in our area (Oakland) is massive also but I'm not sure if it has 8 centers. Is it against the rules if I ask what building you're in? Just curious to what building is massive enough to have 8 centers. How many total routes does your building run?

I don't think it's against the rules for you to ask, but it is for me to tell you. I have no intention of revealing that information anyway. I'm sure it'll get out there someday, just not today.

I don't know for sure how many routes go out of my building, but I figure the smallest center runs at least 40 routes every day. But that is just an estimate.

km3

I was curious, and decided to look on Google Maps. Seems San Bruno and Oakland are only about 20 miles away from each other, and San Bruno appears to be bigger. I bet you'd have way more than 8 if you combined those two buildings into one. Unless you're not referring to Oakland, CA, that is.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
I was curious, and decided to look on Google Maps. Seems San Bruno and Oakland are only about 20 miles away from each other, and San Bruno appears to be bigger. I bet you'd have way more than 8 if you combined those two buildings into one. Unless you're not referring to Oakland, CA, that is.

Yeah that's exactly where I was referring. I'm not too familiar with those buildings on the peninsula but yeah I've heard that San Bruno is even bigger. Combining Oakland and San Bruno would absolutely be impossible. While only 20 miles away, it would take over an hour to get from one to the other because of traffic. I'm sure Oakland combined with San Bruno would easily have over 10 centers but you said yours has 8 under one roof, that sounds huge. As a matter of fact they're about to shut down the Oakland building for two years so they can begin the process of renovating and automating that building like they did with ours. Some of the Oakland hubs routes have already moved to our hub.

km3

Yeah that's exactly where I was referring. I'm not too familiar with those buildings on the peninsula but yeah I've heard that San Bruno is even bigger. Combining Oakland and San Bruno would absolutely be impossible. While only 20 miles away, it would take over an hour to get from one to the other because of traffic. I'm sure Oakland combined with San Bruno would easily have over 10 centers but you said yours has 8 under one roof, that sounds huge. As a matter of fact they're about to shut down the Oakland building for two years so they can begin the process of renovating and automating that building like they did with ours. Some of the Oakland hubs routes have already moved to our hub.

San Bruno looks like it's just a little smaller than my hub. Maybe 6 centers?

When they automated your building, how many part-timers lost their jobs? They're talking about automating my location "within 5 years."

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
San Bruno looks like it's just a little smaller than my hub. Maybe 6 centers?

When they automated your building, how many part-timers lost their jobs? They're talking about automating my location "within 5 years."

It's hard to tell actually. When they shutdown the building and moved most of the work to Oakland and some to San Bruno a lot of the part timers weren't willing to do the longer commute required and just quit. The longtime part timers stuck it out. Once they returned 9 months later they offered a bunch of 22.3 jobs. So yeah we lost a few but they claim everyone would have had a job when they returned if they had stayed. Only crappy part is that all those sort aisle jobs, smaller sorters, secondary sort, pickoff positions were gone when they returned. So there's a lot of longtime folks that were forced to go back to loading and unloading. A lot of those previous sorters also got assigned to irregs since they now handle over 300% more packages now.