Uber battles Teamsters

Over 70

I tried driving uber for a night just out of curiosity and some possible easy "play money".

I kept track of mileage and based expenses on the IRS standard deduction of 53.5 cents/mile. I averaged less than minimum wage.

They don't charge enough for rides plain and simple. It's why cabs are more expensive, they're in it to make a living. Also, their model sucks. More than half of riders weren't ready when I got there making me wait. The clock doesn't start until they're in the car. After 5 minutes you can cancel and get $3.75 paid to you but what if you just drove 7 minutes there? You're losing time which equals money.

Unless you have a constant flurry of riders ready when you show up in a small area then yeah you might make a little money.

purehavanne

The main thing people forget to factor in Ubering is TIME. If you subtract income tax, gas, wear and tear, and divide it by the number of hours you worked, your getting screwed with no vaseline. Plain and simple.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Libs there want everything for free, and for somebody else to pay for it.

Last edited:

Over 70

You're essentially turning your vehicles equity into cash right now. You're not making money. You might make some but not enough to justify the time.

I guess everyones time is worth different amounts but anything less than 15/HR cleared after expenses really wouldn't be worth the Bull:censored2: to me.

Bull:censored2: like people trying to ride with kids and no carseat, drunk puking in the backseat, drunk purposely damaging your interior because they're pissed you won't let them eat a big Mac in the back seat. All stuff that happens to these guys

Over 70

There's a college campus near my house and students routinely use uber for a ride to another class across campus which is a 10 minute walk.....

Either they have too much money or uber is too cheap. I think it's both.

When I was in college that 5 bucks would of been like a bar of gold to me. Enough to get a can of chew and throw down on some ratpiss beer :)

rod

Retired 22 years
There's a college campus near my house and students routinely use uber for a ride to another class across campus which is a 10 minute walk.....

Either they have too much money or uber is too cheap. I think it's both.

When I was in college that 5 bucks would of been like a bar of gold to me. Enough to get a can of chew and throw down on some ratpiss beer :)

Probably spending their parents money and have all their lives. They don't care about costs. They will also probably end up with a hundred thousand bucks worth of student loans and cry about it forever.

Over 70

Probably spending their parents money and have all their lives. They don't care about costs. They will also probably end up with a hundred thousand bucks worth of student loans and cry about it forever.

Or end up with zero student loans because their parents paid for it!