Ugh -- Starting out as a driver is HARD!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The success of doing the driver job rests on the 3 R's

Routine
Repetition
Rumplemintz, ..... I mean..... Remembering the street numbers of your top addresses

Coldworld

60 months and counting
...and when you're told on the phone "...we aren't shipping..." when, in fact, they are...guess what?

Missed pick up.
That’s happen to me when customers used the signs.... more than once.... I never called them....and if I found out my relief did when I was on vacation then it stopped real quick ..some of these new guys think it’s a game to try to “game “ the system... I can’t tell you how many of them friend ed up over the years and don’t have a job anymore... did you hear that @Mr.Blonde ????

trickpony1

Many years ago, before some of you were born, I had a p/u that thought it was a good idea to put a sign in the window if they weren't shipping.

One day they forgot to take the sign down.

Missed pick up. Back in the old days that was serious stuff. I told my On Road what happened. He said don't let it happen again. I didn't.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Man, ON my 5th day out driving solo. The last two days they have upped my stops count majorly -- Did not get in last night until 9pm.

Realize I'm still not going fast enough. Got the commercial part of my route down.

Out of the building yester by 9:20 -- Had all airs delivered by 10:10. (11 stops spread out) Then worked on commercial deliveries --32 stops -- 150 packages -- done by 1:00 -- worked on 70 resi stops until 3pm (got about 30 done) when I have to start my pickups run for businesses. Then finished my last 40 resi stops. I was slow because of darkness and not knowing the area at all. SOOOOO many dead-ends, cul-de-sacs and non-through streets.

Just a vent before I go back into today and try to do better -- Have to get better at the RESI stops.

Just a preview of your next 30 years

Good Luck!!

dogs.bite.me

Ya I suggest writing addresses and or just the numbers on the packages especially ones on the floor. If you dont mind and youre not in the loaders way try going in during the last 30min of preload and sort the 1000 2000 3000 shelf by writing the addresses. After air go through it a little more for like 10-15 min. Abbreviate the street names too.

Let’s encourage these guys to work off the clock, cut corners by calling pickups, and just screw themselves in the long run. Sigh.

OP. Don't do that stuff above. Best thing to do is remember about 5 to 8 stops you will be doing next. As you're looking for packages, short so that you know where those 5-8 are. If you can do more than 5-8 then more power to you. Be organized. That is the way to speed up. Not calling pickups, not speeding, not running.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
Many years ago, before some of you were born, I had a p/u that thought it was a good idea to put a sign in the window if they weren't shipping.

One day they forgot to take the sign down.

Missed pick up. Back in the old days that was serious stuff. I told my On Road what happened. He said don't let it happen again. I didn't.

Thats totally different. You can never trust businesses with signs just because of that, thats not a reliable communication line.

dogs.bite.me

Ive shown up to a business not called and that exact same thing has happened.
So whose fault is it now?

You did your job and telematics can prove it.

Phoning them is not attempting a pickup and stop completing it 4 blocks away doesn't help your case when they are firing you.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I got burned by a flag pickup when I was in PC and got my :censored2: in a jam over it. Never again. Many moons ago, we had to pull a pickup sheet from every shipper's book everyday whether they shipped that day or not. Then they went to "only pull a sheet when they ship" which led to flag accounts.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Why would you miss it? If you verified if there was out going.

The boss comes out with a NDA letter as your hanging up the phone

Not even taking into account that they can see you never went by. But, you closed out the pickup as though you did

That’s what they call dishonesty

Now what?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Man, ON my 5th day out driving solo. The last two days they have upped my stops count majorly -- Did not get in last night until 9pm.

Realize I'm still not going fast enough. Got the commercial part of my route down.

Out of the building yester by 9:20 -- Had all airs delivered by 10:10. (11 stops spread out) Then worked on commercial deliveries --32 stops -- 150 packages -- done by 1:00 -- worked on 70 resi stops until 3pm (got about 30 done) when I have to start my pickups run for businesses. Then finished my last 40 resi stops. I was slow because of darkness and not knowing the area at all. SOOOOO many dead-ends, cul-de-sacs and non-through streets.

Just a vent before I go back into today and try to do better -- Have to get better at the RESI stops.
Don't worry, the divorce takes your mind off the job for a few years!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Thats totally different. You can never trust businesses with signs just because of that, thats not a reliable communication line.
Driving to the address and seeing a sign and stop completing there is gonna be a better argument in a hearing than I called them 2 miles away but never came anywhere near the building.