Ugh -- Starting out as a driver is HARD!

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
Driving to the address and seeing a sign and stop completing there is gonna be a better argument in a hearing than I called them 2 miles away but never came anywhere near the building.

Argument in favor of what exactly?
One of the places ive gone to and usually call as well, use the sign. One day i was off that route and back on the next day they said they had the sign up and no one came by. So who knows who was lying the driver or them. So that driver missed that pick up and the manager was pissed! So its a better argument being there face to face with someone yes I agree. I dont see whats dishonest about making a phone call and speaking with the same person that gives you the pick up.

Indecisi0n

Man, ON my 5th day out driving solo. The last two days they have upped my stops count majorly -- Did not get in last night until 9pm.

Realize I'm still not going fast enough. Got the commercial part of my route down.

Out of the building yester by 9:20 -- Had all airs delivered by 10:10. (11 stops spread out) Then worked on commercial deliveries --32 stops -- 150 packages -- done by 1:00 -- worked on 70 resi stops until 3pm (got about 30 done) when I have to start my pickups run for businesses. Then finished my last 40 resi stops. I was slow because of darkness and not knowing the area at all. SOOOOO many dead-ends, cul-de-sacs and non-through streets.

Just a vent before I go back into today and try to do better -- Have to get better at the RESI stops.
You pee in a bottle yet?

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
Man, ON my 5th day out driving solo. The last two days they have upped my stops count majorly -- Did not get in last night until 9pm.

Realize I'm still not going fast enough. Got the commercial part of my route down.

Out of the building yester by 9:20 -- Had all airs delivered by 10:10. (11 stops spread out) Then worked on commercial deliveries --32 stops -- 150 packages -- done by 1:00 -- worked on 70 resi stops until 3pm (got about 30 done) when I have to start my pickups run for businesses. Then finished my last 40 resi stops. I was slow because of darkness and not knowing the area at all. SOOOOO many dead-ends, cul-de-sacs and non-through streets.

Just a vent before I go back into today and try to do better -- Have to get better at the RESI stops.

Joe just forget what I said about calling pick ups. whats worked for myself and others may not work at your center.

JustDeliverIt

One of the places ive gone to and usually call as well, use the sign. One day i was off that route and back on the next day they said they had the sign up and no one came by. So who knows who was lying the driver or them. So that driver missed that pick up and the manager was :censored2:! So its a better argument being there face to face with someone yes I agree. I dont see whats dishonest about making a phone call and speaking with the same person that gives you the pick up.

I don't think it's so much about dishonesty, more like cover your own ass. Especially for a newbie like the OP. If you pull up and the sign says no pickup, telematics will still showed you are there. If you call from down the road, a lot harder to defend your case if in either scenario there was packages to pick up.
I wouldn't suggest calling to anyone, but especially someone in their first 30 days. You get your own route and want to make that call, it's on you then. Follow the methods, do the best you can and it will start to click. Especially once area knowledge kicks in. And go to every one of you pickups.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
One of the places ive gone to and usually call as well, use the sign. One day i was off that route and back on the next day they said they had the sign up and no one came by. So who knows who was lying the driver or them. So that driver missed that pick up and the manager was :censored2:! So its a better argument being there face to face with someone yes I agree. I dont see whats dishonest about making a phone call and speaking with the same person that gives you the pick up.
Teiematics is what will get you. It'll show you were never at the pick up.

Plus we have smart pick ups now. I'd just try and talk the customer into converting to that.

JustDeliverIt

whats the word on smart pick ups?

We switched to this at my other job when I was working 2 jobs waiting to go full time. If you process a shipment up until 1 hour before your scheduled pickup time, then the pickup stays in the drivers board. If nothing is processed, then the driver gets a message that the pickup is cancelled. If they process a package after that cut off time, then they keep the pickup in your board the following day and you get it then. Great for the driver since it eliminates stopping at the small, occasional pickups daily and the customer only pays for a pickup the days that they ship. Saved us a bunch of money at my other job at the time.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
We switched to this at my other job when I was working 2 jobs waiting to go full time. If you process a shipment up until 1 hour before your scheduled pickup time, then the pickup stays in the drivers board. If nothing is processed, then the driver gets a message that the pickup is cancelled. If they process a package after that cut off time, then they keep the pickup in your board the following day and you get it then. Great for the driver since it eliminates stopping at the small, occasional pickups daily and the customer only pays for a pickup the days that they ship. Saved us a bunch of money at my other job at the time.

I thought they called it in when the cancellation popped up in the board. So how can you get them set up on smart pick ups?

Delivery!!!

It becomes dishonesty when you stop complete the pickup without even going, per one of my on roads a few years ago. This was in regards to pickups that are still in the diad board but not active due to moving or out of business. Now I just don't stop complete them.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Ive been using the same bottle for the last 5years. Ole yeller helping me see it through the day!
Nasty man... you roll your sleeves up, sort your truck in the mornings off the clock and walk around like a gangster drinking monster energy drinks listening to hip hop with one earphone in?????

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
Nasty man... you roll your sleeves up, sort your truck in the mornings off the clock and walk around like a gangster drinking monster energy drinks listening to hip hop with one earphone in?????

Almost! I got a Half smoked black and mild hangin in my ear too!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Did you know the earth is flat
Go run your stops off like a good bonus driver... we need that to happen to make up for me sitting around for an hour waiting on a trailer to be done so I can get on the road and drive to your hub.... it all equals out in the end....it’s pretty easy to understand, you are the one taking it in the ass daily in your postiion and I am taking it all back daily in my postiion....