Unemployment Question

gandydancer

When being laid off does it go by center or hub senority. Do they stop insurance coverage right away.

This is a subject which your supplement will cover in considerable detail. Get a copy, and familiarize yourself with the hire back procedures as well. If you are not available when called you can lose your rehire rights.

As a ft inside employee, Local 278, I have to work 80 hours in a month to get benefits the following month. For pt it's 60 hours. I think that's Supplement, not Sort rider, so it should be the same for ft drivers. So you'd have a month. Then there's COBRA. But it's all local, so get in touch with your Local.

skir

Los Angeles CA
It was a nice ride while it lasted. UPS Greatest company ever. No college degree 90k a year, Month vacation, sick pay, Holiday pay, Pension, don't pay for Medical insurance, fitness training free, Thnx UPS I will always remember you. If I get laid off in 2009 I gave you my Best.

Upsdude, IMO you owe Skirt an apology as UpState did. Your assumption that he was not even going to look for gainful employment if laid off is way off base. Depending on the area he is in it may take more than a day to find another job that will come close to paying his bills. If he can make more from unemployment benefits than McDonalds pays he would be crazy to start flipping burgers the next day.

It was a nice ride while it lasted. UPS Greatest company ever. No college degree 90k a year, Month vacation, sick pay, Holiday pay, Pension, don't pay for Medical insurance, fitness training free, Thnx UPS I will always remember you. If I get laid off in 2009 I gave you my Best.
Don't give up yet Skirt. Get with your union steward or business rep ASAP, get a copy of the contract including the supplement for your area. If you can bump to the inside do so until volume picks back up (however long that takes). 12 years toward retirement is too much time to just walk away from without giving it a chance to work out. Few of us can replace UPS wages without a degree in some sort of professional type job, they just don't exist on a large scale.
If all else fails, hang on till June. I'll do what I can to let you have my job.

upsdude

In spite of my response to your original post, don’t be so negative. I took you as just another person looking for a hand out, you don’t appear to fit that description. For my response I apologize.

Now, for your current situation. You’re facing a layoff, not a termination. Being negative or feeling like everything is doom and gloom is going to drive you and your family crazy. Concerned? You darn well better be, and that is perfectly normal and expected behavior. You can and will get through this situation. You may very well be without a UPS paycheck for a period of time. Be positive, you have 12 years employment with the company, I’d be very surprised to see you get totally laid off. I’m willing to bet at worse you end up working a couple PT shifts. Will it suck? Probably, but as many will happily point out, it sure beats McDonalds. Right stingerman? LOL.

I love Brown Café but you’ll get all sorts of bar stool advice here. They’re 2 things you need to do.

1) Talk to your steward or contact your local’s office and talk to the business agent.

2) Call or go by your local state employment office. In Virginia it’s called the State Employment Commission, I think you know what I’m trying to say.

Those 2 entities are the only source of accurate information.

You [-]can and[/-] will get through this!