Unfair Production Standards

bigblu 2 you

has anyone thought that maybe the co is doing this on purpose to force a strike? they did exit polls in '97 and the majority of hourlies stupidly replied that they couldn't stay out another couple weeks.

just saying....
thats why we voted in our local to join a new strike fund,i think its called the ohio teamsters or something like that.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Here's what will actually happen:

Six months before we vote, they will back off on production, bring in coffee and donuts, have some cook-outs. 80% of the dumb Teamsters will fall for this and vote yes. Then, right back to where they left off.

Just sayin....

80% of the dumb ones, but only 37% of the smart ones.

Billy Boxtosser

You do realize all the packages that your "union grunts" load into trucks actually have to be driven to locations and physically delivered to people, right?

Riddle me this, Einstein, what do you think is more difficult: A) Carrying a 100lbs box from a slide into the back of a truck 3-14feet from the slide OR B) Carrying the same exact 100lbs box up 3 floors of steps to apartments with no elevators. Go ask your "superior" and come back and tell us all what he/she said you should say since we all know you can't think for yourself, let alone speak for yourself.

Another Riddle....what do you think is more difficult? A) Delivering 250 packages in 10 hours with driving "breaks" in between deliveries OR B) Loading 250 packages in 4 trucks (That would be 250 X 4 = 1000 for the non-Einsteiners) in 4 hours with one ten minute break.

Last edited by a moderator:

kingOFchester

Another Riddle....what do you think is more difficult? A) Delivering 250 packages in 10 hours with driving "breaks" in between deliveries OR B) Loading 250 packages in 4 trucks (That would be 250 X 4 = 1000 for the non-Einsteiners) in 4 hours with one ten minute break.
Having done both, A...without a doubt.

As a driver we have to juggle a lot more then the "250" packages we deliver. Driving, on calls, pick ups, missload meets, air meets, customers, sales leads, sorting truck thru out the day, taking work off drivers who are crushed, mapping out the add cuts, weather....I could go on. Loading 4 trucks is not a walk in the park. Its can be a demanding job. But, in my mind, driving is a whole diffrent ball game.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

It depends on the route! plain and simple.

bigblu 2 you

i am going with "a"also.weather,parking.doors.two wheelers,steps,etc.as compared to a belt or rollers and a controlled environment.ive done both an i thought the same as you .neither is easy.

LagunaBrown

Click here to sign a petition against UPS and their unfair production standards. A lot of people complain so lets see if anyone actually take the 3 minutes to get their voices heard. Thank you for checking this post.

LagunaBrown

We created a Unfair Production Standards petition for people to sign online that takes about 3 minutes to complete, I guess the moderators here won't link it but you can go to LagunaBrown if you want to sign up as opposed to just complaining about the work.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
We created a Unfair Production Standards petition for people to sign online that takes about 3 minutes to complete, I guess the moderators here won't link it but you can go to LagunaBrown if you want to sign up as opposed to just complaining about the work.
Please don't blame the moderators for not approving your posts. I doubt that any of the mods ever saw your posts. Our anti spam software attempts to identify posts that may be spam and prevents them from displaying on the public forum. When you posted the same link in 5 different posts the anti spam software flagged all of those posts as spam and diverted them to the mod queue.

I removed your last post from the queue and deleted all of the others...

LagunaBrown

Yes I agree about the spam thing but I submitted a thread so it would be easy for people to do something more than complain about the problem. I did notice the link has been enabled since my last post and thank you. The production issue has been a big problem nationally as you are very aware and am just asking for some help to raise public awareness.

browned out

I received a warning letter for not beeping horn,(wrote horn contact up on dvir twice in prior two weeks) carrying one long box on my shoulder, and missing the handrail once or twice out of 170 stops.

I do not have a problem with the warning letter.

Why did center manager wait til about 700 stops later until I heard anything of it? The normal procedure would have the observer notify the driver on area or next day.

If safety of utmost importance to UPS; why was I able to continue unsafe practices for 700 more stops?? Harassement? could be

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I received a warning letter for not beeping horn,(wrote horn contact up on dvir twice in prior two weeks) carrying one long box on my shoulder, and missing the handrail once or twice out of 170 stops.

I do not have a problem with the warning letter.

Why did center manager wait til about 700 stops later until I heard anything of it? The normal procedure would have the observer notify the driver on area or next day.

If safety of utmost importance to UPS; why was I able to continue unsafe practices for 700 more stops?? Harassement? could be

I don't think it was harrassment, but the supervisor team did not make their quota of warning letters for the week to be approved by DM. More like you were the scapegoat for the numbers game.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Everything at UPS is about the blame game. From the Scott Davis to the average part time pre load sup. From the top down, its about CYA. Discipline is nothing more than CYA for the operators when the numbers dont add up.

The real problem is that NOBODY in the chain of command is strong enough to stand up and say that these programs DONT WORK.

At the center level, rather than say UPS IE cut too many cars, and the eventual result was missed packages, missed pickups, massive customer concerns and pkgs left in building, the operators ( division manager, center manager, on road sups) prepare warning letters to hide the realities of the failures in planning.

The warning letters are used to show the region that "they" are taking action for the under performers who are messing up the "plan".

They know that the region only looks at the writing of the warning letter, but DOESNT look at the outcome down the road when its grieved and overturned. The LAST thing UPS understands is PRODUCTION.

20 years ago, we were all off the clock before 7, we would fight for pickups and extra stops, we worked together well and helped one another without complaining. TODAY, we are sooo bombed, we dont want to see another package around 845pm, so helping out isnt in the program. There is no incentive to pick up 1000 pkgs vs. 10 pkgs, it works out the same on paper, so why kill ourselves?

Handing out warning letters for ridiculous production values is a joke and a waste of manpower, time, paper and effort.

In my Hub, if a driver gets to a suspension for production, my drivers simply hand the keys back to the center and hop off their routes and back onto the utility list. The discipline for production ENDS right then and there and the company cannot pursue the route driver once on utlility.

We rebid the route within 5 days and the new driver keeps the car for 3 months then surrenders it, its rebid and the original driver takes his route back. The Company has to start ALL OVER again with progression and at that point, 9 months has passed on the original discipline and that goes OUT THE WINDOW.

If the company wants to play paper games, we can give them the runaround if "we" work as a team. All that investment in paperwork, route documentation, meetings, discipline and it all goes down the toilet by handing the keys back. A complete waste of time for UPS.

The companys direction has been led by officers who "dont have the practical working experience" to handle the job.

Peace.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Not a fan of moveon.org. but I am a fan of getting this production crap off my back. 100 clicks is pretty darn fast when everything is not perfect.