Union failure

browndevil

Those were the good old days. The Teamsters had real power then. No freight in this country moved unless it was driven by a Teamster and loaded and unloaded by a Teamster. No sups ever touched a package unless they planed on paying a penalty.
We had more power then because the country was at 40% Union membership. We are currently at 7% private sector and 11% public

browndevil

No drivers are working preload. Were fine on staffing I believe. Jus cant leave the building on time ever lately. Leaving at 930am everyday at least always have to run straight air. Fri didnt leave the building till 9:43, got to my 1st stop at 10:08am. Had 13 air stops.
What was your start time last week?

coolslice

The union is worthless these days. Homers say, "Oh, go work somewhere else as see if you make as much money." Any semi-intelligent person should be able to see that the only reason we make so much money (as drivers) is because that's what UPS HAS to pay to attract and retain employees. As you might have noticed, these days the pay isn't enough anymore. I think far too may people at UPS have become institutionalized and have blocked out all of the negatives of the job and only focus on pay and benefits. To most people, money isn't everything when looking for a job. Very few of the older, pro-union guys would last a month if they had to come in under this new contract. I know I wouldn't. Who wants to take a job where the only day you know you're going to work is saturday? These people are looking at 4-5 years of hell before they start making any decent money. I think guys that have been here 25 years and have rural routes that go out with 70 stops would change their tunes if they were on rock piles with 200 stops making $18/hr.

trickpony1

And the old timers ran the company into the ground years ago.

I don't think so.
Some of us "old timers" were working here and building the business while you were still in liquid form.

We've seen new centers, new hubs and a marked increase in volume.

It's the young snowflakes that stand there with their hand out and expect everything to be given to them.

coolslice

Who do you think did those 200 stop routes before they got those rural routes?

There were no routes in my center that did 200 stops a day when I started years ago, except maybe during peak in one big neighborhood with no business or pickups. Now we have routes that barely dispatch with 175 stops. The simple fact is that new hires get screwed worse than we ever did. The union has let all of it happen in a number of ways. Consider yourself lucky if you didn't have to go through the crap these new hires do. I'm thankful every day.

There were no routes in my center that did 200 stops a day when I started years ago, except maybe during peak in one big neighborhood with no business or pickups. Now we have routes that barely dispatch with 175 stops. The simple fact is that new hires get screwed worse than we ever did. The union has let all of it happen in a number of ways. Consider yourself lucky if you didn't have to go through the crap these new hires do. I'm thankful every day.
They hold these kids hands. It's pathetic

Bad Gas!

What time does the petting zoo open? I'm looking for new places to take the grand kids to along with getting a hotdog and hot chocolate. I feel sorry for those bottom tier weekend brownies of the future. The teamsters did pull some crap on this unpopular contract passing..

What time does the petting zoo open? I'm looking for new places to take the grand kids to along with getting a hotdog and hot chocolate. I feel sorry for those bottom tier weekend brownies of the future. The teamsters did pull some crap on this unpopular contract passing..
The membership was too lazy to vote. So who do you blame?
After the contract was supposedly vote down UPS put up a memo that they would go back to the table.

Oh wait it was imposed.

2021 everyone.... Time to vote.

542thruNthru

Curious... how did the union let 200 stops happen? Also how does the union stop the company from letting drivers do 200 stops?