Union or Non-Union Career?

oldngray

nowhere special
Faith-In-Humanity-Restored-024.jpg

P

pickup

Might have to skip a college semester, and obtain my class A license from a legit driving school?

Umm , summertime??? or take the class A lessons around your existing schedule.

Or just get the class A permit, and take a lesson or two to learn how to drive stick.

Just to let you know, just because you get a class A license doesn't mean UPS hires you . That is an off the street hire and it just doesn't happen for a guy with a class A license and no experience AND skills that will keep him out of an accident. MORE often than not, it doesn't happen for guys who meet those requirements either.

UPS4Life

Might have to skip a college semester, and obtain my class A license from a legit driving school?
I don't know how it is elsewhere but I know at my building you only a permit to be eligible for ups feeders. Once you start the process ups trains you and take you for the cdl. Just because they train you I would still suggest knowing at least the concept in a car on how to drive a manual.

Sent using BrownCafe App

P

pickup

Ok, I didn't read the Original Poster's full thread completely. I see that he is a PTer already. Get into one of those parked package car and play with the stick shift. Just don't release the emergency brake. Get the pattern down with no fear of failure. Fight today, win tomorrow(taken from Art of War or somethin' like that).

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
They don't train part time or full time combination employees here in Wisconsin.
They didn't here in the Central until they went on this feeder hiring frenzy. They used up all the package drivers wanting to go into feeders, so they started hiring from the outside.

We pushed the 6 for 1 issue so they opened up feeders to 22.3, part timers, clerks, etc.

If no full time package drivers want to go to feeders, I'd rather see it go to a part timer instead of hiring off the street.

wayfair

swollen member
Thanks for your response. Quite set on learning manual transmission.

Must also gain comfort behind the wheel of a larger vehicle in order to pass the road test, and remain safe on the road granted I pass.

while you're learning to drive stick, you might want to familiarize yourself driving without power steering... just start driving your regular vehicle, then shut the motor off and turn key back on so the steering wheel lock doesn't engage. Then turn that sumbeotch around!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I would prefer that the jobs go to the most qualified applicants regardless of status.
There are very few UPS employees feeder qualified that are not already in feeders. If what you say is the way UPS hired, then all feeder jobs would be filled from the outside with experienced drivers with a CDL.

UPS employees sign the bid sheet and then are trained. A full time employee is no more or less qualified than a part time employee. Give every union employee a chance, and then if there are not enough interested, hire from the outside.

PT Car Washer

In my building one of the qualifications is one year safe driving in the package car classification. No PT, Art 22.3 or FT or PT air driver need apply for a Feeder job.

upschuck

In my building one of the qualifications is one year safe driving in the package car classification. No PT, Art 22.3 or FT or PT air driver need apply for a Feeder job.
I don't believe that is a qualification in the 6:1 ratio in the contract. That is a "made up" UPS rule to avoid the contract which should be grieved.

PT Car Washer

I don't believe that is a qualification in the 6:1 ratio in the contract. That is a "made up" UPS rule to avoid the contract which should be grieved.
The one year safe driving in package car classification has been grieved and lost. UPS can make any qualification rule it wants to as long as it does not violate the contract.

upschuck

The one year safe driving in package car classification has been grieved and lost. UPS can make any qualification rule it wants to as long as it does not violate the contract.
It violates the contract if they don't follow the 6:1 hiring quota. So they can say only green people can bid on driving job, and since there are no green people that work for UPS, that they can hire all people from the outside. That rule has been superseded many a times.