Union Pension too dependent on brown?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
New York Post article, say no more. Might as well be in the National Enquirer, same credibility.

images (3).jpeg

images (6).jpeg

ThePackageDeli

But there were are less companies now and UPS was having to pay more. Sounds like a bunch of commie gobbledygook if ya ask me. Each company should have its own pension based on what the company can provide to its workers. UPS makes enough to run its own and if smaller companies can’t provide enough to meet a certain threshold then with company and union input create agreements between different companies and the union to have multi employer pensions. At least in a perfect world. Problem is people live too long now, retire too early and drain the system for decades. Pensions were great when you retired at 62 and died at 68 now you retire at 25 years and if you started at 21 like me you can retire at 46 and collect a pension for 40 years or more. Longer than what you worked for in the first place. Not a good system anymore. Same problem with social security. Throwing more money at it won’t solve it, needs some serious reform but when you start talking about taking away money you got a lot of blowback so we’re just stuck in a spiraling problem. The plans were better back in the day but you only had people living off them for a couple of years.
A pension is like corporate welfare isn't it? In my view, a pension is a safety net for people who aren't responsible enough to make wise financial decisions throughout their working life. Because if they had, they would've become self-insured by retirement age with millions in investments. Which is way better than a pension.

Re-Raise

You do know who your profile picture is, don’t you?

Start there Cletus and read his post really slowly

Response from person who lives on this site in 3…2…1

Over70irregs

A pension is like corporate welfare isn't it? In my view, a pension is a safety net for people who aren't responsible enough to make wise financial decisions throughout their working life. Because if they had, they would've become self-insured by retirement age with millions in investments. Which is way better than a pension.
Big intentional financial education gap from youth to adulthood is the culprit. When your saved dollar is guaranteed to go to 0 indicates a flawed system. Then people turn around and blame you for being short or lacking.

Over70irregs

first off, i think the pension is pre-funded so it wouldn't stop if UPS went out of business tomorrow. second, i'm not sure what you think the alternative would be exactly, aren't all pensions funded by the company the employees work for? how would it work otherwise? like if boeing and sodexo also were on the hook for all our pensions UPS going out of business would just drag the other companies down the same hole, what company would agree to such a scheme, there's no upside!? and then, what do you expect anyone to do about it?
Invest in technology that allows you to do more with less.