Union Pension too dependent on brown?

Up In Smoke

That's honorable.
Buy a life insurance policy on yourself. It's way, way less costly and way, way better than the survivor benefit they want you to get.
I agree, prior to turning 50, I purchased a 1 million dollar 25 year term policy. The yearly premiums are less than $1500 and if i out live it, good for me! If I don't, good for them.

Up In Smoke

It was our insurance agent that pointed out that we each had a whole life policy with a cash value that covered nearly half of the premiums. We cashed out the policies and invested the proceeds in a brokerage account that pays the quarterly premiums. With 5% average returns on the brokerage account, the premiums should be covered for the life of the term. Thanks to our parents and their forethought to invest in our futures. My wife and I have done the same for our kids. Major difference is our ability to fund 529s, I bonds and mutual funds for our adult children. Every Friday we see the automatic withdrawal from our checking, into theirs and then from theirs into the mutual funds. We are truly blessed to have the opportunity to aid in the financial health of our children and teach them the value of paying yourself first.

Up In Smoke

The article points out 2.4 million people left (retired early) the job market due to pandemic factors. It's been shown in the last 5-6 jobs reports that this 55 and older demographic are seeking and filling the massive job openings across most sectors. We need this group come back and finish out their working careers. My wife and I would gladly hire aging individuals to fill some of our open positions. Sadly, no one is applying.

The article points out 2.4 million people left (retired early) the job market due to pandemic factors. It's been shown in the last 5-6 jobs reports that this 55 and older demographic are seeking and filling the massive job openings across most sectors. We need this group come back and finish out their working careers. My wife and I would gladly hire aging individuals to fill some of our open positions. Sadly, no one is applying.
Younger generation doesn't want to work at all

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I didn't retire thinking someday I would get back into the workforce. Never going to happen.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Younger generation does not want to do back breaking work for $15/hr and 4 hours a day and no benefits. Neither would any of us.
"Want".
Some people "want" a better life and are willing to sacrifice and pay their dues to get it. Then there are the lazy excuse makers who always have someone or something to blame for their situation.

Thebrownblob

Younger generation does not want to do back breaking work for $15/hr and 4 hours a day and no benefits. Neither would any of us.
I’m not sure what your talking about. I did it for $8 an hour. And they have health insurance after nine months. Would be better at 60 or 90 days but still. I didn’t have earn and learn when I started. But be that as it may, The job was originally to tide me over, and have some income until I finished school.

But even when I started it was more than eight dollar an hour job. Everyone knew if you wanted to stay the job could turn into a solid upper middle class career. You simply had to roll up your sleeves. Are you one of the same people who was complaining in 2016 about the fight for $15 an hour? They got it. And they will get more this time, and it still won’t be enough, and people like you will still say the same thing. Of course you’re the same person who has no problem taking opportunities from people below you by allowing the company to use you out of classification Your whole career.

rod

Retired 22 years
65 would be the limit.

I was thinking more in terms of those without pensions. They cash in early and years later they are broke and forced back to work.
I already had 13 years of FUN retirement by the time I turned 65. I don’t regret it one bit.

rod

Retired 22 years
Especially if your on a real production route… I’ve been lucky enough to land my happy butt in a pretty sweet route. Getting a 4x4 assigned to it is the cherry on top. I can provide make it to the finish line now,,, especially if we get a real live preload operation out here.

This old man like having an actual suspension between him and the pothole infested dirt roads.
The last thing you want is a pre-load. That’s when your center and your sweet route will go to hell.

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
I’m not sure what your talking about. I did it for $8 an hour. And they have health insurance after nine months. Would be better at 60 or 90 days but still. I didn’t have earn and learn when I started. But be that as it may, The job was originally to tide me over, and have some income until I finished school.

But even when I started it was more than eight dollar an hour job. Everyone knew if you wanted to stay the job could turn into a solid upper middle class career. You simply had to roll up your sleeves. Are you one of the same people who was complaining in 2016 about the fight for $15 an hour? They got it. And they will get more this time, and it still won’t be enough, and people like you will still say the same thing. Of course you’re the same person who has no problem taking opportunities from people below you by allowing the company to use you out of classification Your whole career.

Yeah, but the price of living was cheaper back then. Every old timer at ups says this. Lol. 15 dollars isn’t :censored2:. If they want people to stay they need to bump pt pay.