Union Politics - IRB busts the Ohio Confrence of Teamsters

5habits100

You should never spend someone else's money and that's what happened.

But that is over, judgement day is here. People need to understand the facts and realize they got a pension amount that was not sustainable and that they did not earn.

People need to get over it. It is what it is and many got free money that their company never paid in for them.
That's it.

Period. End of story.
It isn't the end of the story. We are in the chapter where people are getting screwed because of bad decisions.

5habits100

Already said that too. And agreed with that and Lead Belly's statement.
It's a sad situation.

But, it's not something that anyone could not see coming.
I am way behind with reading all the posts but everyone saw it coming even back then. They raised it that much and people questioned how they were going to pay for it in the future. They were right

10 point

It isn't the end of the story. We are in the chapter where people are getting screwed because of bad decisions.
That's not quite what the statement meant.

Anyone who wanted to face reality should have taken the unfounded bonus retirement money, knowing the fund was in trouble, and lived like it was coming to an end because it was.

Partying on the Titanic when it was sinking is not good planning.

You can only blame yourself for that because it was not a hidden issue.

10 point

Rather than fight over how we got here wouldn't it be better to inform the members so that they can better prepare for a pension-less retirement?
I don't believe that notification is necessary.
Plan for the worst, hope adjustments work, and work as long as you can if your whole plan was to trust in your pension and SS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't believe that notification is necessary.
Plan for the worst, hope adjustments work, and work as long as you can if your whole plan was to trust in your pension and SS.

When you go to work on Monday look around the parking lot and tell us how many new or near-new cars you see parked there.

We all know the drivers who are living paycheck to paycheck yet have to have the latest and greatest.

5habits100

That's not quite what the statement meant.

Anyone who wanted to face reality should have taken the unfounded bonus retirement money, knowing the fund was in trouble, and lived like it was coming to an end because it was.

Partying on the Titanic when it was sinking is not good planning.

You can only blame yourself for that because it was not a hidden issue.
I wasn't talking about the participants I'm talking about the people responsible for improperly raising it.

10 point

I am talking at the local level--- you, me and all of the other senior drivers educating the younger ones.
I am responsible for the info I give out.
There's no resolution from the Treasury Dept on the adjustments yet so it's impossible for me to tell anyone what is going to happen with any accuracy.

The temporary short version was already mailed. What looks obvious may not be the end of the story.
A lot has to do with future CBAs and membership.

Considering the trends, we can tell them what we think but I don't think that expounding on anything more than what the CS ltr said will fix "stupid" and if anyone can say they didn't see the oncoming train and have other investments, another plan, then they don't want to see it.

Typical Americans. Billions of $$$ in debt. Dancing on the Titanic and that's not just about our pension funds.

10 point

I do want to say that I applaud your diligence and appreciate you wanting to help educate others for their future's sake.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am responsible for the info I give out.
There's no resolution from the Treasury Dept on the adjustments yet so it's impossible for me to tell anyone what is going to happen with any accuracy.

The temporary short version was already mailed. What looks obvious may not be the end of the story.
A lot has to do with future CBAs and membership.

Considering the trends, we can tell them what we think but I don't think that expounding on anything more than what the CS ltr said will fix "stupid" and if anyone can say they didn't see the oncoming train and have other investments, another plan, then they don't want to see it.

Typical Americans. Billions of $$$ in debt. Dancing on the Titanic and that's not just about our pension funds.

You are overthinking this.

You would be amazed how many of my co-workers have no idea what Central States is, let alone all of this issues with their pension fund.