Union retirees: Don't cut my pension --- Good Read

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Central States is in such poor shape that one funding for one receiving still would not make gains into the fund. ALL of this falls on the Hoffa administration for not being proactive over a decade ago. What needs to happen now is these folks should be allowed to find jobs that they can preform without the Teamsters telling them they'll suspend their pension and that includes truck driving. I cannot think of one good reason to allow these good people to lose what they have worked for. They didn't create the problem and we as Teamsters need to help create viable solutions.
This is the problem
With pension. You shouldn't need more people putting in than taking out. The ones taking out should be pulling out their own money that's already in there and been there for years.

When you are taking from current contributors and giving to past contributors. That's called a
Ponzi scheme.

bbsam

Staff member
This is the problem
With pension. You shouldn't need more people putting in than taking out. The ones taking out should be pulling out their own money that's already in there and been there for years.

When you are taking from current contributors and giving to past contributors. That's called a
Ponzi scheme.
Isn't that what insurance companies do?

Z

ZQXC

I haven't noticed anyone mention how all of this is compounded by someone retiring at a young age. Early fifties is a very young age to retire, (sure you may have met all the established guidelines.) But, can you reasonably expect to retire after 30 years of contributions, and then be paid benefits for upwards of 40 years (more than your working lifetime.)

brown67

"Central States lobbied heavily for the new pension-cutting measure, which has led many of its retirees to speculate that it will be one of the first plans to reduce benefits."

So the teamster lobbied congress to cut pensions?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I haven't noticed anyone mention how all of this is compounded by someone retiring at a young age. Early fifties is a very young age to retire, (sure you may have met all the established guidelines.) But, can you reasonably expect to retire after 30 years of contributions, and then be paid benefits for upwards of 40 years (more than your working lifetime.)
Bingo.