Union rips off Part-Timers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Well I guess my case is extreme in that I started as seasonal in May 08 still 3 months for benefits when I got rehired in Sept. I was then told I would have to wait 1 year from that date to recieve my benefits. So basically they want me to wait 16 months for benefits. I also think that if you are seasonal and rehired that your seasonal time should count for some kind of seniority.
Were you laid off before being hired back?

705red

Browncafe Steward
If you were not laid off for one day at least your seniority should go back to your first work day, at least here.

evilleace

Not sure about that I am in 710 I will have to check into that thanks for telling me 705 that extra 4 months sure would be nice.

chopstic

I can definitly understand this. The union use to represent part-timers, but now have all but abondoned us. I think we can all agree that in the PAST the teamsters actually negotiated for us and bargained for better working conditions, wages, benifits, etc.... But what have they done for us in the last 10 years? I know they have pushed HARD for a whole bunch of full-time issues, ex: over 9.5, pensions raises, increase in full-time positions, etc. But what have the teamsters done to represent us in the last ten years? I would say if anything we have lost more than we have gained.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
I can definitly understand this. The union use to represent part-timers, but now have all but abondoned us. I think we can all agree that in the PAST the teamsters actually negotiated for us and bargained for better working conditions, wages, benifits, etc.... But what have they done for us in the last 10 years? I know they have pushed HARD for a whole bunch of full-time issues, ex: over 9.5, pensions raises, increase in full-time positions, etc. But what have the teamsters done to represent us in the last ten years? I would say if anything we have lost more than we have gained.

+1 Over and over and over.

The Teamsters state that everyone is represented equally. Hogwash. The part timers are used as cannon fodder, pawns, to negotiate issues for the full time drivers.

There are those here that say "well, then, the part-timers should vote more, make their feelings known" which is also a lousy argument - those just starting out part time do not have the experience & knowledge of those that have been union members for years. You want to tout your brotherhood? Help those under your own wing that don't understand the process, and support them, even though the help you give the part timer does not help you at all.

The fact that the starting wage for part timers is the same as it was TWO DECADES AGO, and the benefits now kick in much later, I defy anyone to argue how the "Union Brothers" have helped the little guy, the newbies, the part timers.

It is an embarrassment that that the teamsters refuse to see this. 705, you state that all is well because, contractually, the starting wage is just a minimum, and UPS can raise that number at any time. This is factually correct. Also factually correct is that the contract does not prohibit UPS from hiring hookers every Friday afternoon (OK, union hookers) for "stress relief purposes", but I don't see that happening either.

705red

Browncafe Steward
+1 Over and over and over.

The Teamsters state that everyone is represented equally. Hogwash. The part timers are used as cannon fodder, pawns, to negotiate issues for the full time drivers.

There are those here that say "well, then, the part-timers should vote more, make their feelings known" which is also a lousy argument - those just starting out part time do not have the experience & knowledge of those that have been union members for years. You want to tout your brotherhood? Help those under your own wing that don't understand the process, and support them, even though the help you give the part timer does not help you at all.

The fact that the starting wage for part timers is the same as it was TWO DECADES AGO, and the benefits now kick in much later, I defy anyone to argue how the "Union Brothers" have helped the little guy, the newbies, the part timers.

It is an embarrassment that that the teamsters refuse to see this. 705, you state that all is well because, contractually, the starting wage is just a minimum, and UPS can raise that number at any time. This is factually correct. Also factually correct is that the contract does not prohibit UPS from hiring hookers every Friday afternoon (OK, union hookers) for "stress relief purposes", but I don't see that happening either.
Let me ask you how many union meetings have you been to as a part timer? Now as a full timer?

There is about 20 to 25 people out of my building that attend the monthly union meeting out of over 1400 members. Not one of them is part time! We have several meet points to meet for breakfast and car pool downtown so people cant use the excuse that they cant afford gas.

I have educated a lot of part timers in my building on how the grievance process works what their rights are etc. And still no one gets involved.

In 97 I was a part timer and I showed up at the picket line everyday during the strike. And the other people that showed up daily are also now full time. The part timers that do not plan on sticking around are the ones that hurt it for the part timers that do care and try to get involved.

You can lead a horse to water but you cant force it to drink!

some1else

anyone heard of PT grievance being "traded" for FT ones? i.e both pt/ft get fired and at arbitration union sells out PT to save the FT guy?

Let me ask you how many union meetings have you been to as a part timer? Now as a full timer?

There is about 20 to 25 people out of my building that attend the monthly union meeting out of over 1400 members. Not one of them is part time! We have several meet points to meet for breakfast and car pool downtown so people cant use the excuse that they cant afford gas.

I have educated a lot of part timers in my building on how the grievance process works what their rights are etc. And still no one gets involved.

In 97 I was a part timer and I showed up at the picket line everyday during the strike. And the other people that showed up daily are also now full time. The part timers that do not plan on sticking around are the ones that hurt it for the part timers that do care and try to get involved.

What are you saying? Are you fighting for the part timers or not? Why should it matter if they go to meetings or not? Shouldn't they get equal representation regardless?

705red

Browncafe Steward
What are you saying? Are you fighting for the part timers or not? Why should it matter if they go to meetings or not? Shouldn't they get equal representation regardless?
I'm saying that a lot of part timers don't care like it or not its the truth. Here a part time grievance has as much merit as a full time grievance. We fight just as hard for a part time job as a full time job. Everyone gets the same representation.

But when it comes down to contract time the majority involved are full timers. We had several part timers on our committee this time and their concerns were addressed.

People need to get more involved part time and full time not only when they need the union. I cant remember the last time an employee that lost his/her job came to the meeting and thanked the union for getting there job back!

Its been years, and no its not a kiss up move, its a sign of appreciation!

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer

+1 Billion

...You can lead a horse to water but you cant force it to drink!

Alternatively, you can throw the horse under a bus, cook it up, serve it to the full timers with french fries. Tastes like chicken.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm saying that a lot of part timers don't care like it or not its the truth. Here a part time grievance has as much merit as a full time grievance. We fight just as hard for a part time job as a full time job. Everyone gets the same representation.

But when it comes down to contract time the majority involved are full timers. We had several part timers on our committee this time and their concerns were addressed.

People need to get more involved part time and full time not only when they need the union. I cant remember the last time an employee that lost his/her job came to the meeting and thanked the union for getting there job back!

Its been years, and no its not a kiss up move, its a sign of appreciation!

I don't know one way or the other but ...
Like my signature says, "Pay no attention to what people say...observe their action".
So, in that spirit, does any part-timers have any actual experiences that will shed light on this question?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Every single one that I have been aware of.

Now answer mine - Why hasn't the union pushed for a fair starting wage for part timers for the past two decades?
How many have you been aware of? Here the meetings are posted on the union bulletin boards and are every third Sunday of the month except for June which is the 2nd Sunday to accommodate fathers day.

You should probably learn a little before opening your mouth! The wages were increased in 97 under Carey. Under Carey he gave the part timers an increase which was the first since 1982 and he also created 10,000 full time jobs nationally. Now under Hoffa everyone of us has taken it in the rear not just part timers!

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
How many have you been aware of? Here the meetings are posted on the union bulletin boards and are every third Sunday of the month except for June which is the 2nd Sunday to accommodate fathers day.

You should probably learn a little before opening your mouth! The wages were increased in 97 under Carey. Under Carey he gave the part timers an increase which was the first since 1982 and he also created 10,000 full time jobs nationally. Now under Hoffa everyone of us has taken it in the rear not just part timers!

I'm sure, as a Union Steward, you are very good, very effective, and your work is appreciated by those you represent. Sincerely.

As a person who debates on a forum, however, and I say this with respect, you are just not very good at it. I've seen it with your battles with others here - instead of answering questions, informing, enlightening, you get immediately frustrated & start calling people names. It is not good debate and, just an FYI, it gets very boring.

What is your mother's maiden name and birthday, by the way?

raceanoncr

Hmmm...I thought I said that...hmmmm...

I yawn when I hear p/ters, friend/ters, anyone, whine about how they got screwed during negotiations and final agreements. Why? I'm not gonna argue here again whether ANYBODY got bruised then or in the future.

I've said this before in other threads and post, that I go to just about every possible meeting, be it general, proposal, grievance, whatever. How many friend/ters have I seen there? How many P/Ters have I seen there? At any given meeting, there (out of nearly 500 employed here in various positions) is only a handful present. In fact, for the UPS part of the meetings, we could probably hold it at the local Village Inn.

Example:

For the last contract, here, again I say HERE, there were a series of proposal meetings, some for p/ters, some for friend/ters. Due to sleeper schedule, I was only able to attend one. There were five (5) people there! Two (2) were union BAs, three (3) were friend/ters, all feeder drivers! I heard other meetings were similar-little to no attendance!

Also, how many actually VOTED on the contract? Oh, now everybody will say, "I did and I voted NO!" Yeah, right! I don't have figures in front of me but it wouldn't take much to get them, but a 20% participation rate sticks in my head for the last vote.

My point? If you were at those meetings, if you voted your choice and you still feel you got screwed, then I feel you have a valid bitch. I you DIDN'T go and DIDN'T vote, then, well, quite frankly, I'd like to say, "Shutup"!

705red

Browncafe Steward
I'm sure, as a Union Steward, you are very good, very effective, and your work is appreciated by those you represent. Sincerely.

As a person who debates on a forum, however, and I say this with respect, you are just not very good at it. I've seen it with your battles with others here - instead of answering questions, informing, enlightening, you get immediately frustrated & start calling people names. It is not good debate and, just an FYI, it gets very boring.

What is your mother's maiden name and birthday, by the way?
You still have not answered how many meetings you have been to.

You said that the part timers have been sold out for 2 decades, and I provided you with a little history and now your grasping. See unlike you I know what I am talking about!

smokey711

11-year PT'er. I go to union meetings. The contract is not perfect, but I would not make what I make, and get the benefits I do, without the Teamsters. No way. The stewards and BA's that I've had are always there to help me out, or answer my questions. I don't mind paying my union dues one bit.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You still have not answered how many meetings you have been to.

You said that the part timers have been sold out for 2 decades, and I provided you with a little history and now your grasping. See unlike you I know what I am talking about!

LTD is not a full-time employee. I'm sure you remember working, or others working, 40+ hour weeks as a part-timer. LTD is still stuck in the 80s and 90s ;)

'97 strike was solely for the part-timers... Those damn selfish part-timers!!
If it wasn't for the Teamsters and esp Ron Carey, myself and thousands of others others would not have full-time jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.