Union rips off Part-Timers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

things2auction

Funny story, when I was hired I attended training with another person who was going to be working at a different center (Im in pre-load, he was going to be doing local sort). They had to tell him not to pay attention to the negotiated starting wage because it was now less than minimum. We both had a good laugh about that one.

Oh well, people accept the wages they are offered and know what they will be getting when they accept a job offer. For me UPS is just a on the side job for fun money and exercise.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm sure, as a Union Steward, you are very good, very effective, and your work is appreciated by those you represent. Sincerely.

As a person who debates on a forum, however, and I say this with respect, you are just not very good at it. I've seen it with your battles with others here - instead of answering questions, informing, enlightening, you get immediately frustrated & start calling people names. It is not good debate and, just an FYI, it gets very boring.

What is your mother's maiden name and birthday, by the way?
When one guy knows what he's talking about, and the other guy doesn't have a clue, it's not much of a debate. You're the other guy.

Tony31yrs

I don't know how it is in other districts, but our p/t ers got full medical and pension. We had a lot of guys that got 30 yrs p/t because they stayed for the medical benefits and just got another p/t job. I know the starting wages don't go up like they used to, but you aren't paying into medical like some poor slobs making $25k and paying $500-800 per month.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I don't know how it is in other districts, but our p/t ers got full medical and pension. We had a lot of guys that got 30 yrs p/t because they stayed for the medical benefits and just got another p/t job. I know the starting wages don't go up like they used to, but you aren't paying into medical like some poor slobs making $25k and paying $500-800 per month.

30 yrs as a part-timer - that's impressive.
I assume this was not in a hub (3 years in a hub just about wore my shoulders out).
I could see a preloader being able to work for 30 years.

Slobs?

tieguy

Banned
How many have you been aware of? Here the meetings are posted on the union bulletin boards and are every third Sunday of the month except for June which is the 2nd Sunday to accommodate fathers day.

You should probably learn a little before opening your mouth! The wages were increased in 97 under Carey. Under Carey he gave the part timers an increase which was the first since 1982 and he also created 10,000 full time jobs nationally. Now under Hoffa everyone of us has taken it in the rear not just part timers!

If you're going to give Carey credit for his part time raises then shouldn;t you give hoffa credit for his?

Living is right the unions not really asking to bump up the part timers. You can spin that any way you want in blaming the company but the last time I checked i think the union was paid to negotiate for them?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If you're going to give Carey credit for his part time raises then shouldn;t you give hoffa credit for his?

Living is right the unions not really asking to bump up the part timers. You can spin that any way you want in blaming the company but the last time I checked i think the union was paid to negotiate for them?

I do not see Hoffa rallying any gung-ho effort to nationally hold UPS liable for the 20,000 jobs. Carey would have, for sure.

705red

Browncafe Steward

Living is right the unions not really asking to bump up the part timers. You can spin that any way you want in blaming the company but the last time I checked i think the union was paid to negotiate for them?[/QUOTE]

If you remember during our negotiations everyone here got upset because 705 was asking to raise the starting wages. Every one of our proposals and the companies counters were online for all to see. So if we proposed it and did not get it who was really against it?

And if you read exactly what i typed you would see that i said hoffa has been selling out every upser not just part timers.

I have given hoffa credit, he has sold everyone out. For decades UPS could not discipline by using technology, now they can thanks hoffa!

Supervisors could never work under the old contract, but now they can in an emergency condition, again thanks hoffa!

Only certain drivers can file for 9.5, extended routes cant, swing drivers on different route cant etc, again thanks hoffa.

These are just a few that we kept out and if we kept these out why did hoffa allow these changes?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
To put it simply...Carey was for the working man.
Hoffa is not.
But what can you expect from someone who was hired as a locals lawyer and was able to run for union president without having a valid union card.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
To put it simply...Carey was for the working man.
Hoffa is not.

Another perspective is that Carey was a Steward/BA in the trenches type guy that never grasped the bigger picture of a cooperative relationship with UPS and the long-term health of UPS as a company.

Hoffa is a business person that is looking to ensure the long-term viability of UPS so the union members he works for will have above average benefits, above average wages and most importantly retirement benefits so that a union retiree can live comfortably in their retirement years.

Neither one was/is perfect but each in his own vision is doing what was/is right for the Teamster employees.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Surely you can't be serious.
Of course he is, I just handed you your own ass on a plate and you still cannot respond! You should read a little Teamster history seeing that you have not been around long enough to know whats happened over the last 2 decades!

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Face it LTD.
These type of efforts are just simply lost on some people.

But look at the bright side ... it makes you feel better about yourself! :wink2:

Yes. Yes it does.:happy-very:

Of course he is, I just handed you your own ass on a plate and you still cannot respond! You should read a little Teamster history seeing that you have not been around long enough to know whats happened over the last 2 decades!

HOLY CRAP!!!! You mean you must work for UPS to know of the teamsters? Wow, it's like, what, a secret society that you must be an employee of UPS to know anything about? HOW COOL IS THAT?

I feel special now! 705, you must feel like, what, a grand poohba or something then, huh? So I should, like, not tell anyone outside of UPS that the teamsters exist then, I guess?

Do we have a secret handshake? Nobody ever showed me the secret handshake.....

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
....wait - shouldn't we password protect this site? That way, someone from outside UPS can't come in here & learn of the existence of the Teamsters.

Here's your ass back.

amclain

:devil3:This Hoaxster person is probably a non-union person and wants something for nothing especially refuses to join/pay union dues that support your local union and international union.
The Hoaxster always whine the most because of being just a free-loaders!

It seems to me the P/T get absolutely screwed by the Union and the Union does nothing but give away everything related to the part-timers to take care of the Full-timers.

Which might be okay but then the P/T get ripped off for Initiation Fee ~$400) and monthly dues (~$35) for nothing.

As a Part-timer, do you feel like you get your money's worth?

Also, please feel in the blanks to correct or give perspective to my observations.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
:devil3:This Hoaxster person is probably a non-union person and wants something for nothing.
Especially refuses to join/pay union dues that support your local union and international union.
The Hoaxster always whines the most because he's just a free-loader!

Yep, that's me! LMAO

Bet others have fun messin' with you. cya fodder Bob. :peaceful:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.