Union Structure

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
The way local supplements work miff me a bit. I understand why separate locals exist more or less, but not their separate supplements. Like local A and local B are say 25 miles apart but A has sick days, B does not. Local B gets a 3rd week vacation at 5 years but at C it's 10.

I'm guessing the generic answer is strength of leadership, but that doesn't really give me understanding. What leverage would A have that B doesn't? I understand at the national level that the ace up the sleeve at a contract negotiation is always going to be striking. Is that the same at a local level?

I realize I'm probably completely disregarding the member vote aspect. Would that be why local B has sick days and A doesn't? The guys in A weren't willing to eat concessions for sick days but guys in B were?

Sorry if I'm not making sense or asking the right questions. Just trying to gain some understanding of how things work and what's coming in 2023.

I can understand that some elected people are better at things than others. But where does the leverage come from?
Before 1979 UPS had individual regional contracts. When they decided to negotiate a national master, naturally the people with good contracts (e.g. the West) didn't want to give up the good stuff they had. So that left these regional contracts to be supplements to the national.

That's the long and short of how it was explained to me.

The leverage in good contracts comes from the language already existing. Once you give something up, you'll probably never get it back.

Last edited:

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
Before 1979 UPS had individual regional contracts. When they decided to negotiate a national master, naturqlly the people with good contracts (e.g. the West) didn't want to give up the good stuff they had. So that left these regional contracts to be supplements to the national.

That's the long and short of how it was explained to me.

The leverage in good contracts comes from the language already existing. Once you give something up, you'll probably never get it back.
Thank you sir, that clarifies things quite a bit. Appreciate the response.

542thruNthru

I'm pretty :censored2:ing helpful.
e48fda09-c111-43e0-a1a8-bf4705705f01_text.gif

Helping