Unions and Corporations

over9five

Staff member
Walmart-Liberal-Logic.jpg

Here's what I hate every time I hear people complaining about WalMart workers being forced to work Thanksgiving:

These complainers will then go home to watch a FOOTBALL game on Thanksgiving. How about the probably over 1,000 people it takes to operate a football stadium? Forced to work because people will watch it.
Very hypocritical....

Here's what I hate every time I hear people complaining about WalMart workers being forced to work Thanksgiving:

These complainers will then go home to watch a FOOTBALL game on Thanksgiving. How about the probably over 1,000 people it takes to operate a football stadium? Forced to work because people will watch it.
Very hypocritical....
I think they make a few more bucks an hour,than a Walmart employee!

igp4u,

Selling peanuts ?? or Making peanuts ?

Walmart rate and benefits vs union protester rate ??
I have a friend who sells snacks at the baseball games.........he works his tail off, going up and down all of those stadium steps. He says that he can make $100 plus on a slow day...$300 or better on a good day....not too shabby for a few hours worth of work!

island1fox

I have a retired UPS friend --for extra money took a greeters job at Walmart four years ago ---through diligence and hard work --has been promoted to mid-level Management --making a six figure salary in "retirement":hapydancsmil:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Forced to work is forced to work.
Most people working these games aren't forced to work. Most are just temporary, on-call employees working for an agency. The few ones who do work and are forced know in advance that Thanksgiving games are part of, and have been part of, the stupidity of American traditions and sports culture, so it goes with the territory.

On the other hand, people forced to work at Wal-Mart is a different story. Many people who started working at Wal-Mart or whatever retailer years ago didn't work "black friday" or "Thanksgiving" because the consumerist holiday didn't exist and/or wasn't relevant to retail.
Sure, a few chains and stores did open but most of them were again, known to open...it wasn't a big secret.

jmo

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I have a friend who sells snacks at the baseball games.........he works his tail off, going up and down all of those stadium steps. He says that he can make $100 plus on a slow day...$300 or better on a good day....not too shabby for a few hours worth of work!
$300? Wow....that'd be pretty sweet as a second job.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The fact that one of the largest and most wealthy corporations on the earth, is taking Holiday food or ANY donations for it's low-level employees, is an awful display of how how sick American culture is.

Island, I truly feel bad for your friend or anyone caught up in being a "manager" in this system. :p

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Most people working these games aren't forced to work. Most are just temporary, on-call employees working for an agency. The few ones who do work and are forced know in advance that Thanksgiving games are part of, and have been part of, the stupidity of American traditions and sports culture, so it goes with the territory.

On the other hand, people forced to work at Wal-Mart is a different story. Many people who started working at Wal-Mart or whatever retailer years ago didn't work "black friday" or "Thanksgiving" because the consumerist holiday didn't exist and/or wasn't relevant to retail.
Sure, a few chains and stores did open but most of them were again, known to open...it wasn't a big secret.

jmo
I feel compelled to point out this is the USA where no one is forced to work unless they are government employees.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Seems to me they aren't protesting necessarily having to work Thanksgiving, they're protesting the pay they get. Protests have been going on against walmart for months, for a living wage and retaliation against employees trying to unionize.

For someone who complains about "freeloaders" on welfare and food stamps, you'd think you would be on the protestors' side.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I feel compelled to point out this is the USA where no one is forced to work unless they are government employees.
It depends on one's definition of "forced". Yes, we are all free to quit working. But If forced means to continue employment, out of necessity to maintain food clothing shelter, then yes people are technically "forced" to work. Quasi-voluntary slavery, wage slavery.

island1fox

75 percent of Walmarts Management structure started with their so called low paying dead end jobs!!
Oh the horror to liberals --- a company that provides jobs and career opportunities.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
75 percent of Walmarts Management structure started with their so called low paying dead end jobs!!
Oh the horror to liberals --- a company that provides jobs and career opportunities.

--no, it was 99%-- see, I can make up data too-- and use hyphens instead of commas--because I'm naturally more authoritative.

wkmac

It depends on one's definition of "forced". Yes, we are all free to quit working. But If forced means to continue employment, out of necessity to maintain food clothing shelter, then yes people are technically "forced" to work. Quasi-voluntary slavery, wage slavery.

It's a Gordian Knot and when one realizes the solution is to leave the knot behind, in come the tricksters (mind fare) and/or enforcers (warfare) to by hook or crook drive you back into the knot. You'll never be allowed to untie it much less cut it as Alexander did. Besides, Alexander had his own knots to which he bound with, so much for heroes.

I've always considered the scene itself in Apocalypse Now where Chef after confronting the tiger in the jungle is screaming "Never get out of the boat" as allegory. In a following scene, Willard uses the words as metaphor and the warning, "unless you were going all the way!"

But like Col. Kurtz, would they send in the Willard's if we dare to "go all the way?" Even Willard understood the insanity that sent him, the same that created the insanity ahead of him and yet what did he choose to do in the end? Either direction was insane. Move beyond fear and the tiger may indeed be the more logical choice here.

What's the lesson of Ishmael? Maybe the current choices aren't so free after all if the goal is to never leave the knot in the first place or never get off the boat. The real trap is thinking we can control and fashion the knot to begin with.

To quote Dr. Powell, "what have I taken from you?" Leaving the knot or the boat behind answers that question for the Dr. Caulder's of the world and thus why leaving the knot or the boat can't be allowed too begin with.