United Way Harassment

speedbug577

Bullsh^t.

Your money goes exactly to any organization you choose.
I know this because I receive a receipt every month from the two organizations my leadership donation is directed.

UPS cuts check to MS Foundation and an organization in Chicago Cachsux brought to my attention.

Why would UPS cut them a check? You are donating to UW not UPS.

TUT

It's a schmucks deal, 1 minute goggling will tell you how corrupt the process is. We seemingly can't do anything genuine or correct any more. Always a catch. That said I donate to it, because of perceived backlashes that go along with it. I believe UPS and Fedex have this same issue. For whatever it does right, it goes about it all wrong.

Oak

Every year I am asked a second time. "Don't you want to donate?"

I have to reply, "Did you not understand the 'N' part or the 'O' part? Surely the very first word you learned in that little brain of yours was NO."

Don't get me wrong, I donate to St. Jude's Children's Hospital. Directly. No middle man for me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I give clothes and furniture to Goodwill which can be written off the same way as a cash donation. I'll be totally honest, I do it because it's stuff that didn't sell at a garage sale and I'd just throw it out. I take pictures of all items and you can go to the goodwill website to get dollar figures on the items. It mainly helps me but also helps someone else who can use my second hand stuff, Goodwill who uses the funds to help others, and keeps items out of the landfill. Everyone wins.

I also write off my donations (Salvation Army) up to $250. Anything beyond that requires a receipt.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I also write off my donations (Salvation Army) up to $250. Anything beyond that requires a receipt.
Goodwill gives you a preprinted reciept with an individual number. You can then log on their website, use that reciept ID, fill in the item and the amount that it's worth. At the end of the year you can go back and add them all up and submit them on your taxes. I was able to write off around 1700.00 worth of stuff last year between neighbors items, large furniture, and kids clothes that didn't sell at a multi family garage sale. I also take pictures and keep them on a flash drive that I file with my taxes to cover my ass.

dirtdog

If you have the tax I.D. of a charity you wish to give to, you can designate where your money goes on the United Way form management gives you to fill out.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I gave $7 a week this year and designated a local YMCA summer camp as the recipient to help send a disadvantaged youth to a week at overnight camp. Have not collected a paycheck so far this year due to an injury accept for my 7 weeks vacation. Do you think UPS has stepped up to the plate and donated the $7 on my behalf? Maybe I should harass them.
Since I have been off work, I decided to donate my time. Have been out to the camp teaching kids how to fish. It has been priceless seeing these youth catch their first fish, filleting & then cooking the day's catch over a campfire.

Bottom rung

If you have the tax I.D. of a charity you wish to give to, you can designate where your money goes on the United Way form management gives you to fill out.
Where's the proof the money actually goes there? We were told by our center manager that he couldn't get a receipt, or any verification that our donations went where we wanted. His words....."it'll get there, trust me." Lol

Packmule

Give only if you choose to. If you're at all torn on the issue, choose a one time amount and designate what it is to be used for.

Choosing to give or not is your choice. I was is management and believe me there is pressure on management to beat your center contribution goals from the previous years. Don't do it and you have to explain on conference calls why your people do not believe enough in you to contribute to a worthy cause???? This is because it effects your division managers goals and their reputation with the district manager.

I always used to tell my drivers it was up to them. From a personal standpoint though I would ask you this. At top rate of $30+ per hour (whatever it is now) you can easily give $10 a week and that amounts to what you get paid listening to the 3 minute PCM each day for the week. Now think about how much overtime you are making when the preload is not even wrapped up every day. Besides it is a good tax deduction and it helps other people and maybe even you or a family member someday- IE. -red cross , meals on wheels, boys scouts etc.

Again its is your personal choice so choose what you want to do.

I've been told stories of UPS employees asking for help from different charities only to be told they don't qualify because they make too much money.

My sister, brother in law and 2 nieces lived in a red cross shelter for 1 week due to power loss from an ice storm. My grandparents got meals on wheels delivered to them when my grandmother got earlier stages of dementia and Alzheimer's before being placed in a nursing home and one of my kids received a free $150,000 medical surgery. So while that may be the common reason not to give of : "I got shot down because I make to much" or "Joe got shot down "etc.. it may be the case but there are many cases of folks getting help that you never hear about because they just don't advertise or maybe are too humble or afraid to admit it.

Everybody hears about the guy that gets shot down. Not just for United way but everything in life these days. think about it.

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
when the head of UW makes less then 7 times my pay running a charity, i will give it more consideration. By the way how much of 700,000+ compensation does he give back.