United Way

tieguy

Banned
I wont give them a penny, last year they force me to donate. I don't know what is it and what is it for. I think i am the one that need donation, i am broke.:happy-very:

Wow a kenmei sighting. Someone with your handicaps should appreciate the concept of helping the less fortunate.

tieguy

Banned
Freeloader,
A recently departed center manager told me that management was given a quota and that any amount under that was to be made up by them! No wonder they push!

Anyone have a comment- Tie, you out there?

No quotas for management. I've honestly never felt I was pressured by anyone but then I never had a problem giving either.

I came from pretty humble beginnings. My grandparents bathroom facilities were out in the back yard. When they took a bath they heated water on a coal stove and hand washed in the kitchen. Perhaps it gives me the perspective I need to appreciate helping those less fortunate.

So after careful consideration I will not starve the poor simply because I don't like my boss.

I won't hold back help for the disabled simply because I think the person collecting funds is too enthusiastic or too aggressive.

I won't hold back supporting research that may help someone avoid the torturous death my father in law experienced at the hands of ALS simply because my giving may help the company look good.

In fact I think I'll just completely avoid all the bull:censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: excuses and give more then leadership level because every time I see someone riding around in a wheel chair or carrying around a baby born with birth defects I actually think I owe it to my community and the grace of god to help others avoid the same.

You see in reality you should never experience someone being too aggressive in trying to collect a donation because you should be beating their door down and begging for the privilege of helping better mankind.

Last edited:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Tie, when you decribed the "humble beginnings", that brought back memories of visiting my aunt and uncle and cousins in PA. They also heated water on a wood stove and dragged in the big metal tub and you got your bath in the kitchen.......everybody used the same water (ugh!)

The bathroom was an outhouse, except in the middle of the night there was a pot with a lid in the bedroom and lysol was the main smell in the upstairs.

I always thought of it as quite an adventure. I was just a kid and I was having vacation fun. I didn't know they were poor.

scoobypanda

When U.P.S made a grab for our pension last year, I vowed to never again submit a sales lead or donate to united way through the u.p.s campaign. They want to take my money, add it to their oversized photo-op check and take credit for being so charitable? No thanks. My wife and I will continue to support local charities privately without phony press releases and photo-ops.

local804

No quotas for management. I've honestly never felt I was pressured by anyone but then I never had a problem giving either.

When the center manager has a checkilst on who gives than has a 1 on 1 with those who dont, there has to be a little more to it then just giving to charity. The police dept states there is no quotas with tickets but ask your friends who are on the job and you will hear it differently.

New Englander

When the center manager has a checkilst on who gives than has a 1 on 1 with those who dont, there has to be a little more to it then just giving to charity. The police dept states there is no quotas with tickets but ask your friends who are on the job and you will hear it differently.

I was brought up to the office one on one and pressured into donating more this past year. I didn't I did the same I always had.

We've also been told our center GOAL/QUOTA is $1000 more then last year.

July 1st can't come quick enough so I can end the suspense for them!

What'dyabringmetoday???

Thank you for your support. I would like to challenge you to match my contribution to help those less fortunate or, in my case, help those nearing the end of their lives as I support the local Hospice.
I challenge you to be more humble about charity and for that matter everything else in your life. There are many ways to help out less fortunate other than United Way. Bragging about how much you donate on a message board is almost the same as the safety program at UPS. You give the appearance that you like to help out others. When you mention your tax breaks from giving to charity, your credibility is challenged.
I donate to United Way also. Not for a tax deduction, though.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The world would be a truly boring place if everyone did the same things for the same reasons. You do what works for you, I will do what works for me.

As far as the tax deduction, that is your loss if you choose not to take advantage of it. The charity receives their full share and I get a little bit back from the government.

I did go back and re-read my posts and I guess it can be construed as bragging but that was not my intent.

tieguy

Banned

No more then there has ever been. Each center has a goal they try to reach. People who try to find reasons to not give usually try to bring up a quota system to make everything sound nefarious.

I know many of our people get PO'd when we get a little too enthusiastic about collecting for United Way. They then decide to not give to spite us for being too aggressive in asking.

Its for this reason that I'm not crazy about our starting a wellness program. Can you imagine what would happen if management started encouraging its people to eat and to eat well?

Why based on the united way responses its obvious our people would start starving theirselves just to spite us.

mikestrek

I have given a WHOPPING $1 per week for 23 years, prolly...yes prolly.. will do it again this year.
But it comes from the heart.
I'm with you. I've been giving $1.00 a week also but for 24 years. It may sound like a little but if we all give just $1.00 it adds up. :happy2:

New Englander

No more then there has ever been. Each center has a goal they try to reach. People who try to find reasons to not give usually try to bring up a quota system to make everything sound nefarious.

I know many of our people get PO'd when we get a little too enthusiastic about collecting for United Way. They then decide to not give to spite us for being too aggressive in asking.

Its for this reason that I'm not crazy about our starting a wellness program. Can you imagine what would happen if management started encouraging its people to eat and to eat well?

Why based on the united way responses its obvious our people would start starving theirselves just to spite us.

Tie, I was a United Way campaign person at my previous job. It wasn't until coming to UPS and feeling "forced" into giving that I've decided NOT to.

I'll offer this deal with them when I'm brought into the office. I will donate a days pay (my usual $5 per week) and my time to spend 8 hours at a true LOCAL charity.

I will ask UPS to give me that day off as a scheduled day off and to give me a check of $260 in matching funds written to that local charity.

If my local UPS honestly cares about helping the community and not just caring about their numbers we will see in their response.

tieguy

Banned
Tie, I was a United Way campaign person at my previous job. It wasn't until coming to UPS and feeling "forced" into giving that I've decided NOT to.

I'll offer this deal with them when I'm brought into the office. I will donate a days pay (my usual $5 per week) and my time to spend 8 hours at a true LOCAL charity.

I will ask UPS to give me that day off as a scheduled day off and to give me a check of $260 in matching funds written to that local charity.

If my local UPS honestly cares about helping the community and not just caring about their numbers we will see in their response.

Another obstacle to keep from giving. UPS already donates quite a bit of the company money and quite a few employees to help united way. I could care less if UPS is chasing a number if its for the right reason. You think the poor person who recieves a free meal from upsers cares if ups chased a number to get them that meal? Yours is just another way of putting up an obstacle and then blaming ups for it.

New Englander

Another obstacle to keep from giving. UPS already donates quite a bit of the company money and quite a few employees to help united way. I could care less if UPS is chasing a number if its for the right reason. You think the poor person who recieves a free meal from upsers cares if ups chased a number to get them that meal? Yours is just another way of putting up an obstacle and then blaming ups for it.

Tie are you forgetting something? UPS matches our contribution to the United Way. Do they care so little that they will not match my contribution to a local charity? It's not like they are giving anymore then usual as the United Way will not be getting my $260 this coming year.

All I'm asking is that my money and the matching amount go somewhere absolutely local, all of it.

I'd rather see the entire $520 go to buying groceries to the local food kitchen that I will help stock the shelves, prepare and serve the food then go to The United Way.
Or directly into a LOCAL fuel assistance program. Preferably to families with children.

It's not about trying to create obstacles. It's my money, I work hard it. I'd feel better about giving if I felt I had more control of it and I felt it was really helping. When you donate to The United Way you don't get that sense of really feeling like your helping. It's way too large of an operation for me.

Last edited:

Tie are you forgetting something? UPS matches our contribution to the United Way. Do they care so little that they will not match my contribution to a local charity? It's not like they are giving anymore then usual as the United Way will not be getting my $260 this coming year.

All I'm asking is that my money and the matching amount go somewhere absolutely local, all of it.

I'd rather see the entire $520 go to buying groceries to the local food kitchen that I will help stock the shelves, prepare and serve the food then go to The United Way.
Or directly into a LOCAL fuel assistance program. Preferably to families with children.

It's not about trying to create obstacles. It's my money, I work hard it. I'd feel better about giving if I felt I had more control of it and I felt it was really helping. When you donate to The United Way you don't get that sense of really feeling like your helping. It's way too large of an operation for me.

If you feel that way, ask those organizations to become a member of united way. That way you can designate all your money to that organization. Many charitable organizations can't become a member to the united way because not enough of thier donations go to the needy (too much administrative costs or too much waste)

New Englander

If you feel that way, ask those organizations to become a member of united way. That way you can designate all your money to that organization. Many charitable organizations can't become a member to the united way because not enough of thier donations go to the needy (too much administrative costs or too much waste)

It's not quite the same thing. I would rather write the check to them myself. I don't need the United Way to do it for me.

There is quite a bit of bad press regarding The United Way as well.

tourists24

yet many people do not want the UW as their middle man... charity should be given as EACH individual seems fit... if they want no part of the United Way, then leave them alone. It is a convenient way for some, but there are tons of ways to give charity. It doesnt have to be through UPS and UW

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
yet many people do not want the UW as their middle man... charity should be given as EACH individual seems fit... if they want no part of the United Way, then leave them alone. It is a convenient way for some, but there are tons of ways to give charity. It doesnt have to be through UPS and UW

This thread reminded me - On Friday I entered our building after work, in street clothes, I passed a guy in a pressed shirt, blue cap sitting at a table, jar with money on table. I smiled & walked past.

Come to find out the man sitting there and the jar were unrelated. The man was security - I walked past so fast he was flustered & didn't know what to do, & he called for backup.