United Way

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Do what's ethical and moral even though we won't have to answer for it and there's no purpose to life. I don't understand the logic.
You're projecting. I'm not religious, don't believe in god, and I've always given to charities because I like helping people. If the only reason that you do the right thing is because you're scared of the invisible man then I suppose that you really do need religion. Some of us don't.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
[h=2]Definition of EXISTENTIALISM[/h]: a chiefly 20th century philosophical movement embracing diverse doctrines but centering on analysis of individual existence in an unfathomable universe and the plight of the individual who must assume ultimate responsibility for acts of free will without any certain knowledge of what is right or wrong or good or bad.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
This says so, so much about you ... much more than you realize.

Try being being nice every once in a while tieguy.

This post really upset me.
So much so that it sent a shill down my spine.
I woke up this morning and was shill thinking about it.
It wasn't shill I got to work that I decided how I would impliment this advice into my day.
I decided to start with my center manager by saying something nice to him at the conclusion of our PCM as we made are way to the trucks.
He was so taken back by this change of attitude that he lost track of where he was walking and fell down the steps.
Thanks Hoaxster, your advice is already paying dividends.

ideliver2u67

20 Down
I used to give about 10 bucks a week to the United Way, until i seen a tv show that was talking about the head of the United Way making 3 million a year. Since that time, I dont give nothin. I do my own charitable donations, so i know exactly where my money is going. Bosses told me that i can designate where my donations go through United Way, but I dont care. That CEO gets his wage from somewhere. And unless he donates all but 100 grand a year, i will continue to manage where my money goes.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This post really upset me.
So much so that it sent a shill down my spine.
I woke up this morning and was shill thinking about it.
It wasn't shill I got to work that I decided how I would implement this advice into my day.
I decided to start with my center manager by saying something nice to him at the conclusion of our PCM as we made are way to the trucks.
He was so taken back by this change of attitude that he lost track of where he was walking and fell down the steps.
Thanks Hoaxster, your advice is already paying dividends.

I really think there is a possibility that you are the same person that called himself tieguy.
You post like him and he thought I was a Corporate shill too.
Until I learn different, I will refer to you as tieguy.

fr8dog

I just completed my online donation. I donated significantly less than this year's amount due to the fact that the company pushed our start time forward to 9:30, effectively taking 1 hour per week out of my paycheck. First time in a long time that I have not donated at the Leadership Level or higher.

So if UPS starts deducting money out of your paycheck to pay for healthcare(which you have stated you have no problem with) in next contract, you will donate less, if any,
to UW because your paycheck is less? Sad.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Christian's (or Baptists anyway) don't either. Accept the Lord Jesus Christ as your savior and the son of God and your sins are forgiven.

Jeffrey Dahmer supposedly is in heaven with Jesus right now according to some Southern baptists I know.

Don't seem right, uh-huh.

I believe Jeffrey Dahmer has stood or will stand before God as I believe all will. Noone on earth knows the outcome of that meeting. It's foolishness for anyone to say they do.

I do, however, believe that we can affect the outcome of our own meetings.

fr8dog

I will be retired before UPS starts touching our healthcare.

I thought you were only 51? Not touching, just paying 50-60 bucks a week. That's what they tried to get out of us. But we stood strong and they didn't so i can still give(more than your 50 bucks a week) to UW.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
You're projecting. I'm not religious, don't believe in god, and I've always given to charities because I like helping people. If the only reason that you do the right thing is because you're scared of the invisible man then I suppose that you really do need religion. Some of us don't.

It feels good to help others because we're wired to do so. I say give to charity because it's fulfilling.

We're also wired to inquire about God according to the Bible. That's why we can't stop thinking about it. Even atheists keep talking about God.

That's my $.02. I'm done. Time to get back to whining and complaining.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I give to UW. I really don't care where it ends up. I give money thru my church to some kid in Haiti. What are the chances he sees the 30 bucks month?

moreluck

golden ticket member
What about the lady in the nurse's costume (with a cape) sitting at the entrance of the grocery store and collecting donations. I always wanted to wait and follow her to see if she takes that jar of money and goes shopping with it.

I avoid the door she's at when I exit.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I really think there is a possibility that you are the same person that called himself tieguy.
You post like him and he thought I was a Corporate shill too.
Until I learn different, I will refer to you as tieguy.

It stung a little bit, didn't it?
Shill you can't help lashing back, can you?:wink2:

Last edited:

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
According to Charitynavigator.org, the United Way, as a whole, is a pretty decent charity; scoring 65.79 out of a possible 70 points.

Each individual chapter is likewise rated. Some are very good, others not so good.

Our local is rated 58.70. The biggest reason is the CEO's compensation, at $190,000 annually, its .64% of all income.

I can't justify giving to an organization that takes so much off the top. But remember, other chapters do an excellent job and are routinely rated in the upper 60s'.

Even UPS, a company hell-bent to make money, only pays Scott Davis .189% of net income. (including bonuses and stock options) So it seems to me that CEO compensation for a lot of United Way chapters is just too high. More of that money should be helping others.

And since it's my money, I'm going to give to a different charity.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It stung a little bit, didn't it?
Shill you can't help lashing back, can you?:wink2:

tieguy got me over the initial objection to the term.
It really doesn't mean anything to me.

The only negative connotation is to Cheryl and to the Brown Cafe community as a whole.

Again, you and tieguy were the only people that obsessed on this to the detriment of the community.

Talk to you later tieguy.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
tieguy got me over the initial objection to the term.
It really doesn't mean anything to me.

The only negative connotation is to Cheryl and to the Brown Cafe community as a whole.

Again, you and tieguy were the only people that obsessed on this to the detriment of the community.

Talk to you later tieguy.

I only call you shill when you call me tieguy.
I enjoy the volley.