United Way

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

for what it's worth, designated charity is pretty worthless, they may have done you a favor

Who the hell are you to say what is or is not a worthy charity??????

I designate 100% of my contribution to our local Hospice. Using your logic, I guess I am wasting my money because, hell, they are going to die anyway.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
United Way has gotten my last dime. Last year I had donated a substantial amount and had designated a part of it to go to the local YMCA to send a disadvantaged youth to summer camp. Had designated $600 on the pledge card and received a letter from the YMCA in May thanking me for my donation of $252. Have made numerous calls to United Way asking for an explanation of the difference but have yet to get a satisfactory response.
Considering filing a complaint with the BBB. When my pledge card came up in the TP60 this year wrote Kiss My Ass across the front of it and sent it back. From now on I will donate directly to the charities of my choice and leave out the crooked middle man. If UPS don't like it they can donate their own money in my name. United Way will NEVER get another chance from me!

for what it's worth, designated charity is pretty worthless, they may have done you a favor

I designate 100% of my contribution to our local Hospice. Using your logic, I guess I am wasting my money because, hell, they are going to die anyway.

You obviously did not read the quoted post Tears was commenting on.
Bottomups claimed that only $252 dollars of his designated $600 made it to his charity.
So take a deep breath and a Midol and step off Nancy.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman

you seem upset
1341119401741.jpg
1341119401741.jpg

I

IslandGirl

Giving to charity is a good and noble thing to do as a human..however...
Give directly to the charity..do not be pressured by the company to do so...the supervisors get ''a bonus' for meeting the charity goal for their center.
Not only the super,but the reginal director,and up..they all get bonuses from the company,for reaching these charity goals.

Give directly to your charity of choice..preferrably at a more local level..more of your hard earned money will actually reach the benefactors..
If you can..donate some of your time..it will really open your eyes as to how charities work!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
...the supervisors get ''a bonus' for meeting the charity goal for their center.
Not only the super,but the reginal director,and up..they all get bonuses from the company,for reaching these charity goals.

You are lying or someone lied to you.
You can make your point, which has validity, without having to throw in a lie about it.
That discredits your entire statement.

I

IslandGirl

Sorry..not lying..just stating a truth that most employees don't know about...
You'll notice I said,''a bonus''..did not say it was cold hard cash...

You will also notice how much management pushes employees to give...better to ask the question exactly how much did THEY give??..think you'll be surprised...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Sorry..not lying..just stating a truth that most employees don't know about...
You'll notice I said,''a bonus''..did not say it was cold hard cash...

You will also notice how much management pushes employees to give...better to ask the question exactly how much did THEY give??..think you'll be surprised...

OK ... maybe dinner or something like a pen or maybe an extra day off. All these things were "unapproved and done locally and probably hidden in some way.
UPS has never given a bonus in IRS reportable income to an operations supervisor.

Bonus is always used, except by deceptive people, to mean cash.
Things other than cash are described as gifts ... even by the IRS.

You should have stated that to begin with.

As far as how much an employee gives, I always suggested at least a dollar and sometimes I gave for them.
As long as they signed the card.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Donate online---you avoid the arm-twisting--simply fill out the donation form and turn in a copy to your mgt team.

If you have a charity that you would like to see added to the list simply call your local UW office.

I donate to UW as it allows me to make a much larger donation than I would be able to do in a single payment. UPS covers the administrative cost with their 15% match. This year I raised my donation to $2,600 to which UPS added $390. My donation goes to our local Hospice office as I like what they do for those nearing the ending of their lives.

I just completed my online donation. I donated significantly less than this year's amount due to the fact that the company pushed our start time forward to 9:30, effectively taking 1 hour per week out of my paycheck. First time in a long time that I have not donated at the Leadership Level or higher.

I went from $50/week down to $10/week. I didn't want to do it---I would have loved to have stayed at the $50/week but my last paycheck had guarantee pay, which I have not had in a long, long time.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Do what's ethical and moral even though we won't have to answer for it and there's no purpose to life. I don't understand the logic.

Christian's (or Baptists anyway) don't either. Accept the Lord Jesus Christ as your savior and the son of God and your sins are forgiven.

Jeffrey Dahmer supposedly is in heaven with Jesus right now according to some Southern baptists I know.

Don't seem right, uh-huh.