unloading

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Been up 20 hours. Ready for freaking bed.
Cry+baby+1.gif

PT Car Washer

Used to surf outta the trailer at break time
Ahh the good ol days
For PT the good ole days ended in 1982 with the PT two tier wage system. Wasn't too bad for the first 10 years but look at it now. Minimum wage job with no benefits for a year and a four year progression. As far as PT'ers not voting it would not matter as the only thing you can vote on is what the IBT will let you vote on. If the PT'ers led a revolt it would be squashed like a bug on a Feeder windshield by both the Locals and the International. Both the IBT and the company have a huge financial interest in keeping the PT ranks in their place. When I started PT after 90 days I had full benefits and was earning about $.50/hr less then package car drivers working the preload. The workload was nowhere at where it is now with the new hires along with the current drivers workload.

JL 0513

Here's a thought-----start the preload 15 minutes earlier.

Let's do the math, using whole numbers to make it easier:

30 preloaders at $10/hr for 15 minutes is $75.

30 drivers at $30/hr for 15 minutes is $225.

Obviously, if UPS could start preload an hour earlier to ensure being wrapped at driver start time, they would. Hell, make it so that drivers could start at 8am! You have to know that the issue is when the work can get to the building which is late.

And it's even worse than your math. $30/hr? I'm assuming you lowered the rate (it's over $35/hr) based on a number of drivers not at top rate. That aside, technically UPS is paying out overtime rate because added AM time loading our cars is all in addition to whatever our paid day was going to be. Yes, officially OT kicks in after 8 but the company correctly understands that when drivers are loading in the AM, we're essentially making over $52/hr. They sure as hell don't want to be but it still happens.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Obviously, if UPS could start preload an hour earlier to ensure being wrapped at driver start time, they would. Hell, make it so that drivers could start at 8am! You have to know that the issue is when the work can get to the building which is late.

And it's even worse than your math. $30/hr? I'm assuming you lowered the rate (it's over $35/hr) based on a number of drivers not at top rate. That aside, technically UPS is paying out overtime rate because added AM time loading our cars is all in addition to whatever our paid day was going to be. Yes, officially OT kicks in after 8 but the company correctly understands that when drivers are loading in the AM, we're essentially making over $52/hr. They sure as hell don't want to be but it still happens.

I lowered the rate to $30/hr to make the math easier.

How would you explain not being able to start on time on Mondays when all of the work is already on property?

JL 0513

I lowered the rate to $30/hr to make the math easier.

How would you explain not being able to start on time on Mondays when all of the work is already on property?

In my center, preload is wrapped on most Monday's before start time. Centers aren't going to want a drastically different preload start time from the rest of the week. Maybe a half hour earlier at most.

Drink Craft Beer

For the most part they are wrapped.

I was asking why not start them earlier the rest of the week.
Because most start times are based around when drivers bringing other loads from other hubs will get there.

Doesn't make sense business wise to start 15mins or 30mins or whatever.....and having the pre-load stand around waiting for work to arrive after the first 2 trucks have already been un-loaded. Usually the feeder driver is bringing the 3rd truck of the morning and has to take one empty off the door and replace with the one he just brought. Then break is usually called cause "there's nothing to do but wait"

Too much downtime from a business stand point within the first hour and half.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Because most start times are based around when drivers bringing other loads from other hubs will get there.

Doesn't make sense business wise to start 15mins or 30mins or whatever.....and having the pre-load stand around waiting for work to arrive after the first 2 trucks have already been un-loaded. Usually the feeder driver is bringing the 3rd truck of the morning and has to take one empty off the door and replace with the one he just brought. Then break is usually called cause "there's nothing to do but wait"

Too much downtime from a business stand point within the first hour and half.

You have to remember, Dude has no clue about how preload runs.

Actually, he has no clue about anything.