unloading

JL 0513

My center had to up the driver start time a few months ago because preload just can't get done early enough. And still, Tuesday through Friday drivers are still loading. On average we can't get on the road until 9:20. There's not a single person that wouldn't like all the work to arrive at the center earlier. Apparently it's a logistical near impossibility.

dudebro

Here's a thought-----start the preload 15 minutes earlier.

Let's do the math, using whole numbers to make it easier:

30 preloaders at $10/hr for 15 minutes is $75.

30 drivers at $30/hr for 15 minutes is $225.

Your assumption is that it's one or the other. As a corporation, UPS doesn't want to pay either penalty, and still start the drivers on time. Many preload operations are successful at not paying either penalty.

Dr.Brownz

Yes. Extends?! Lol. Rollers that are a bitch to lift themselves. I unload roughly 4 package cars, 3 18whlrs a night. They have been timing me this past week. Averaging 900-1100 pkges in an hour.

After your probationary period you need to slow down. That is way to fast you will get hurt eventually at that pace.

By The Book

What I picked up on was how they measured how many packages she should be unloading per hour. They timed her for 2 minutes! Who can't work fast for 2 minutes. A more accurate measurement would be to time her on three trailers and get the average. Heck even on a 3 day lock in ride they come up with an average. Something tells me your early on in your probation, 2nd or 3rd week maybe? They can let you go for just about anything so just do your best.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What I picked up on was how they measured how many packages she should be unloading per hour. They timed her for 2 minutes! Who can't work fast for 2 minutes. A more accurate measurement would be to time her on three trailers and get the average. Heck even on a 3 day lock in ride they come up with an average. Something tells me your early on in your probation, 2nd or 3rd week maybe? They can let you go for just about anything so just do your best.

The nurse takes your pulse by placing her finger near your wrist, counting the number of beats in 15 seconds and multiplying that by 4. Would it be more accurate if she counted beats for an entire minute?

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
The problem with the numbers is a simple one. If u flood the belt the guy putting the sticker on can't keep up. Then on top of that the guy sorting can't keep up. Which shuts the belt down. Most of the time they only have one person unloading the truck from top to bottom. Second depending on top of what truck ur in , the extendos won't even go the full distance. It is so bad that they don't even want u to tape things or pull out eregs while ur in there. 3rd for ten bucks an hour and benefits a year later it is no wonder a lot of new hires quit.

Jkloc420

Now what I don't understand is how ups is hiring all these seasonal outside drivers to do peak and summer peak and the union allows it. Seems a little shady to me.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Now what I don't understand is how ups is hiring all these seasonal outside drivers to do peak and summer peak and the union allows it. Seems a little shady to me.
Typically, that's because there's not enough part timers that want to drive (or that can qualify). This past Christmas peak is the first time we used seasonals in our center.

Jkloc420

Typically, that's because there's not enough part timers that want to drive (or that can qualify). This past Christmas peak is the first time we used seasonals in our center.
I agree but it is a go around the union. It is cheaper to put a seasonal off the street out then hire new drivers.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
I agree but it is a go around the union. It is cheaper to put a seasonal off the street out then hire new drivers.
Possibly. I just know that our building has been on a full time hiring spree the past few years. At least 10 on their 30 day packet this summer, and we'll still need seasonals in a few months.

Dr.Brownz

The nurse takes your pulse by placing her finger near your wrist, counting the number of beats in 15 seconds and multiplying that by 4. Would it be more accurate if she counted beats for an entire minute?
Yes it would be more accurate. Do you really not understand how it would be more accurate?

Are you really going to pretend the companies bs standard is realistic?

Dr.Brownz

Used to surf outta the trailer at break time
Ahh the good ol days

First peak at ups as a pter I had to set up the rollers for the extra routes. I would always surf the rollers halfway across the center. That ended when a coworker who was not as skilled as I at surfing attempted it and fell breaking his wrist. They fired him a few years later

dudebro

The problem with the numbers is a simple one. If u flood the belt the guy putting the sticker on can't keep up. Then on top of that the guy sorting can't keep up. Which shuts the belt down. Most of the time they only have one person unloading the truck from top to bottom. Second depending on top of what truck ur in , the extendos won't even go the full distance. It is so bad that they don't even want u to tape things or pull out eregs while ur in there. 3rd for ten bucks an hour and benefits a year later it is no wonder a lot of new hires quit.

Ah, I miss the heady days of the FT inside operations, when the union was far stronger. In those days, they used three tactics to control inside management:

1) Discipline an hourly on say, PD-4, and the Steward disagrees. Through a system of winks and nods, someone would yell "Happy Birthday PD-4!" and every package out of the sort aisle would go to PD-4. In the 30 seconds it took for management to run up to the aisle and catch someone missorting, the sort aisle would go back to normal, but 200 missorted packages were already on their way to jam PD-4.
2) Discipline someone for production. Same system of winks and nods. Someone yells "SUPER SORT!" - every unloader and sorter would double their speed, following perfect methods and the sort charts, essentially doing the job TOO WELL, for about 5-10 minutes until the sudden surge in flow shut down the outbound PDs. Then they'd stand around and laugh.
3) God help you if you didn't bring the key - entry employees his / her coffee just the way they liked it at the head of the old traylines. There was no logging of key entries, and if they were in a bad mood, packages could end up anywhere.

Mgmt needed more diplomacy then...

B

BrownCubster

Sup told me that u have to unload a truck in the 800-1300 range. They timed me for two minutes and counted how many boxes I unloaded and multiplied it by 30. They say that's how many u unload in one hour. Is tho my local hubs rule or standard ups
been there done that.

repeat after me......" I am doing the best I can."