unloading

trickpony1

Not wrong.
Ever heard of "MAR"?
I think it stand for "minimal accepted requirement".

In essence, if you ran a certain part of your day 6 minutes faster than you did yesterday, that new time is now your MAR....a standard to which you will be held.

dudebro

You're confusing standards. The planned time (MSD standard) is based on studying ergonomics. When a driver gets a route time studied (back before "virtual" studies), I remember on rare occasions having guys walk slow, drive around the same block six times, do cartwheels, etc. None of this ever mattered. A 15 foot walk is a 15 foot walk.

No one measures what happens that day. They measure the characteristics of a route. And the biggest effect on planned time is the walk from the vehicle to the delivery point.

Your supervisor may or may not work on "best demonstrated", which is different. IF you disagree on best demonstrated, well, that's what the labor process is for.

vvv

Sup told me that u have to unload a truck in the 800-1300 range. They timed me for two minutes and counted how many boxes I unloaded and multiplied it by 30. They say that's how many u unload in one hour. Is tho my local hubs rule or standard ups
Tell them to kiss your ass......that's mainly what they hear from me.

Dr.Brownz

You're confusing standards. The planned time (MSD standard) is based on studying ergonomics. When a driver gets a route time studied (back before "virtual" studies), I remember on rare occasions having guys walk slow, drive around the same block six times, do cartwheels, etc. None of this ever mattered. A 15 foot walk is a 15 foot walk.

No one measures what happens that day. They measure the characteristics of a route. And the biggest effect on planned time is the walk from the vehicle to the delivery point.

Your supervisor may or may not work on "best demonstrated", which is different. IF you disagree on best demonstrated, well, that's what the labor process is for.

Nah you're wrong on all counts. Not even a grain of truth in that post.

What I picked up on was how they measured how many packages she should be unloading per hour. They timed her for 2 minutes! Who can't work fast for 2 minutes. A more accurate measurement would be to time her on three trailers and get the average. Heck even on a 3 day lock in ride they come up with an average. Something tells me your early on in your probation, 2nd or 3rd week maybe? They can let you go for just about anything so just do your best.
Yea I'm hearing alot of craziness at UPS in general. Seems to be benefits is the main reason most applied to start with. I simply wanted a job where I could become an asset to a company that appreciated a hard working self motivated there everyday and on time employee. But it appears to me the center could care less about me at all. Hell I'm single have no kids and in pretty dam good shape. I dont care about benefits per say at this point in my life. Idk, I'm just gonna keep on keepin on.

They want labels up smalls in tote bags. I just work at the fastest pace I can safely. I'm doing ok obviously or I wouldn't still be there. But alot of managers or supervisors shop stewards or whatever have never unloaded, preloaded, or delivered. Its funny how they say you should be able to do this or that when they themselves got to where they are by brown nosing. Period.

In reference to it being this or that way in 1982?! That was before online ordering went crazy. Wonder if drones will eventually lessen the load?