Unreported accident

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Have to be backing at 30 mph to mess up a hydrant.

Hydrants are designed with a 'breaking flange' to allow the top to snap off on impact. I'm sure speeds slower than 30 mph would break it.

I could ask my nephew who used to sell fire hydrants if you really need to know.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Hydrants are designed with a 'breaking flange' to allow the top to snap off on impact. I'm sure speeds slower than 30 mph would break it.

I could ask my nephew who used to sell fire hydrants if you really need to know.

But those are designed to prevent water from spraying out. So probably not the case here.

bbsam

Staff member
But those are designed to prevent water from spraying out. So probably not the case here.
Hydrants are cast so I think 30mph might not be accurate.

Plus considering a half loaded 800 may weigh in excess of 15000 lbs, the speed could be considerably less

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Hydrants are cast so I think 30mph might not be accurate.

Plus considering a half loaded 800 may weigh in excess of 15000 lbs, the speed could be considerably less

I honestly have no clue, mostly exaggerating for the mild amount of humor that might be had at the idea of backing that fast. But I think you would need some pretty decent momentum. We're supposed to back at 2-3 mph, but I never go over 5. Maybe that would be enough to do it?

proyer

hmmm. management is always really secretive about people getting fired and the circumstances leading up to it. Even if they do address the issue, it would be a very vague PCM about reducing backs and avoiding stationary objects, it would never call out a driver by name, or even refer to them "anonymously" as a 25 year driver.

Yeah they are. The sup didn't call him out by name but we are a small center of about 40 drivers so word travels quick here and everyone already knew who it was. I feel bad for him he is a good guy just can't figure out why he didn't call it in.

He was probably getting a hummer on his lunch break from his gal-pal at Micky Ds and hit the shifter when he was about to let lose.

Tony Q

A driver in our center backed into a water main pipe outside a mcdonalds causing it to burst last Wednesday night, forcing them to shutdown for repairs to be made.
The police and fire department were called to the scene. The driver did not call the center or notify management. Management was not made aware of the situation until they got a call from pd the next day. The driver was immediately pulled off route and terminated. His excuse for not reporting was that there were no managers in the center at the time of the accident (lame excuse).
This was a 25 year driver. What do guys think are his chances of getting his job back. Also let this be an example that if you have an accident big or small report it immediately it could save your career.
One of the on road supervisors took down a power transformer when he was trying to qualify as a driver. He became an on road supervisor a couple months later. what a legacy. A couple years later he told on his Division Manager and got him in real trouble for dishonesty. Gotta love the millennial generation!

1Low59

Yeah they are. The sup didn't call him out by name but we are a small center of about 40 drivers so word travels quick here and everyone already knew who it was. I feel bad for him he is a good guy just can't figure out why he didn't call it in.
I guess you won’t be getting his route since he got his job back today