Unreported accident

numberonedriver

A driver in our center backed into a water main pipe outside a mcdonalds causing it to burst last Wednesday night, forcing them to shutdown for repairs to be made.
The police and fire department were called to the scene. The driver did not call the center or notify management. Management was not made aware of the situation until they got a call from pd the next day. The driver was immediately pulled off route and terminated. His excuse for not reporting was that there were no managers in the center at the time of the accident (lame excuse).
This was a 25 year driver. What do guys think are his chances of getting his job back. Also let this be an example that if you have an accident big or small report it immediately it could save your career.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Am I the only one who sees all of the holes in the OP’s story?

There is no way that a driver, whether a newbie or 25 year veteran, is not going to call in an accident that causes a fast food restaurant to close down.

There is no way that the police waited until the following day to call UPS. Every Mickey D’s that I have ever been to has cameras all over the place and one of the first things that would have been was review the footage.

The driver was not instantly terminated—he was taken out of service pending investigation.

The only part of his story that had any plausibility was the last sentence.

Brownsocks

Just a dog

There is no way that a driver, whether a newbie or 25 year veteran, is not going to call in an accident that causes a fast food restaurant to close down.

There is no way that the police waited until the following day to call UPS. Every Mickey D’s that I have ever been to has cameras all over the place and one of the first things that would have been was review the footage.

The driver was not instantly terminated—he was taken out of service pending investigation.

It was probably late and the pd couldnt reach UPS until the next day?
I know I have 1 center manager, 4 ORS, 3 safety committee members and OMS in my contacts so no management at center is no excuse for non reporting.
After 25 years maybe he just said screw it.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

You don’t think a veteran can make stupid decisions???... might want to look in the mirror buddy...

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

Thank you so much for your full investigation Elliott Ness.