Unscheduled Pickups

BigBrownSanta

Does anyone know if an unscheduled pickup gets charged for a pickup?

The reason I ask is because the Walgreens on my area wants me to check their pharmacy every day for outgoing packages. I told them they weren't a daily pickup account and that I wasn't required to check. After reading Toonertoo's post about the walgreens on her area that wants her to check also, it got me to thinking there has to be a reason that walgreens does this. Maybe someone out there knows and can shed some light on it.

My personal opinion is that it's a corporate decision by walgreens to avoid paying for a daily pickup, but I could be wrong.

kene1024

The reason I ask is because the Walgreens on my area wants me to check their pharmacy every day for outgoing packages. I told them they weren't a daily pickup account and that I wasn't required to check. After reading Toonertoo's post about the walgreens on her area that wants her to check also, it got me to thinking there has to be a reason that walgreens does this. Maybe someone out there knows and can shed some light on it.

My personal opinion is that it's a corporate decision by walgreens to avoid paying for a daily pickup, but I could be wrong.

I got charged $4.25 for an unscheduled pickup. I am a residential stop without daily pickup.

JustTired

free at last.......
I don't have a Walgreens, but I have a drug store that will leave word with the clerks up front that they have a pkg for me. It is usually an ARS pkg that is most likely recalled or out of date drugs. They have to keep them in a secure place until we pick them up. This happens no more than once a month, so to check every day would be a waste of time.

I would tell them that I have no problem taking the pkg but I'm not going to check with them every day unless they want to set up a pickup account.

SmithBarney

Turn in a sales lead... !!!!!

Or tell them at the pharmacy that "I can take it today, but next time
you have to call in a pickup, or drop it off at the UPStore..."

Remember we are all in it for the business and anyway you can make
revenue is a good one.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I havn't been in pkg for a while,but Walgreens had an everyday p/up back in 03 and left me note at store mngrs office to go to pharmacy if drugs had to go out!! also they were a friggen pain in the ass when trying to get them to answer rec. door.. told me to bring though front door, i said 2,3 little ones ok but not a bulk stop,, big pissing match there!!! guess who won:laughing: when i brought in big order and''ACCIDENTLY "" knocked over a display rack !! lol

mikestrek

I make several UNscheduled p/u's everyday. If a customer calles UPS or goes online to schedule a P/U. Yes they are charged a pick up fee. But, anyone can hand you an ARS or RS package, or a customer that prints there own label online, Those customers don't get charged a p/u fee. They just pay for the shipment. Folks, I'm sorry but we need to take back all the volume we can get. FedEx stole a lot of pkgs from us all. We need to earn them back again. I know it's hard but let's bend over backwords for the customer. I'm a 24 year Package driver and that's my opinion.

BigBrownSanta

I have never had a problem taking the packages when they let me know they have packages to ship. The issue I have is the feeling I get that they want a daily pickup but don't want to pay for it.

Their latest game was to refuse to sign until they had checked the pharmacy first. That lead to a big argument and all of their packages being sent back as refused. BD went and had a talk with them and things somewhat went back to normal, but every once in a while, they will refuse to sign until they've checked with the pharmacy.

If the unscheduled pickup fee is less than a "called-in" pickup fee, then walgreens is saving a lot of money at UPS's expense.

As far the daily checking with the pharmacy, some drivers may not want to argue with them and will just go check the pharmacy everyday. Is that really any good for our business?

ExupserNaples

At one time EVERY Walgreens in the country had a daily pickup, usually you could pick them up at time of delivery. I am guessing about 5 years ago they got smart and quit the daily pickup ($5 a week times all the Walgreens) when we were there everyday anyway. The reason they probably still insist is that some of the employees remember when they had a daily pickup. I remember going through that when they all dropped the daily pickup.

Yes Walgreen were genrally a pain to deliver to. The only decent one I ever had was the last one I delivered to, and it was built on my route, so I guess I had them pretty well trained. The only thing was I think on Wednesdays?? they got a certain envelope that needed signed for by the pharmacist, but it wasnt a problem, and got 2 stops.

pkgdriver

Lets take care of Walgreens as much as we can.

That being said, Walgreens should have DHL shipping services avaliable to customers in all stores by the end of the year.

Thanks Walgreens

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I'm not sure if Fedex stole our volume or we lost it. The big sales lead push going on now should have been going on when RPS was starting out. To hell with fair competition, we should have spanked them to the ground.

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
If Walgreen's wants you to check thier pharmacy for outgoing packages, then why not? Everytime you go there enter it into the DIAD as an unscheduled pickup, even if they don't have anything to send out. Your going to get credit for 2 stops and you don't even have to leave the building. Plus it will keep the Walgreen's people happy, so if you ask me, it's a win-win situation.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
If Walgreen's wants you to check thier pharmacy for outgoing packages, then why not? Everytime you go there enter it into the DIAD as an unscheduled pickup, even if they don't have anything to send out. Your going to get credit for 2 stops and you don't even have to leave the building. Plus it will keep the Walgreen's people happy, so if you ask me, it's a win-win situation.
Can you add a little to your response.If it is put in as unscheduled and they don't have anything to ship what shipper # will you put in ?

BigBrownSanta

I wonder if they would get billed for an unscheduled pickup for each day even if I didn't pick anything up every day.

DorkHead

Why not ask your on car sup how to handle and record Walgreens request?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Can you add a little to your response.If it is put in as unscheduled and they don't have anything to ship what shipper # will you put in ?
How about typing in WALGRE. We use the first 6 letters of the shippers name on an ASD label if we can't read or don't have the shipper #. Why couldn't we do the same for a p/u?

browniehound

If you are going to do this I would use the center's 1-time pick up shipper number.

I wouldn't do this though. If it simply takes you 10 seconds to ask if they have a parcel on your way out of the store it may be construed as padding your stops.

I would use unscheduled if they have more than a handful of pre-paid that cause you a significant delay. One pre-paid is padding stops, but when you get stuck taking out 10 toner cartridges I think you should be credited with a stop. Agreed?

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
How about typing in WALGRE. We use the first 6 letters of the shippers name on an ASD label if we can't read or don't have the shipper #. Why couldn't we do the same for a p/u?
MY point is that you aren't making a pickup.Of course if you picked up something you would take the shipper # off of the box.I agree with browniehound here.How do you justify getting credit for an unscheduled pickup when you didn't pickup anything?