Unwanted Overtime

hembone

It seems to me the company doesn't mind paying penalty pay for excessive OT. There's got to be a way to stop them from these excessive hours. Lets hear them.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
It seems to me the company doesn't mind paying penalty pay for excessive OT. There's got to be a way to stop them from these excessive hours. Lets hear them.

Simple, make it more profitable to add another route. As long as your neighbors don't file and you're the only one who does, they pay you and work them. Want another route in, get your entire loop to start filing, or just keep making 90 bucks an hour till they realize they are working for less money then you. Show them that grievance check when you get paid, make sure you mention you got paid 1.5 times more money then them for the same work. If that doesn't work and they just load down your neighbors, thank them for taking all your extra work and you'll leave the lights on for them as management needs you in before 9.5 today. Make sure you give them the two "guns fingers" with a wink, that tends to get them riled up. When they finally get fed up and want to file ask the "What took you so long" to make sure they are pissed off enough to actually turn it in.

Long story short, the process to get more routes is already here, members need to use it and make it unprofitable to leave people out there due them cutting routes. Once again it comes down to member involvement.

Ghost in the Darkness

Work slow... work safe.... and file because they agreed to it. Run your routes over... don't be profitable for them especially in the overtime hours. Remember the more you do the more they give you. When the guy next to you has to go putt-putt golf, take the OT you get and stretch it farther. Honor their pickup compliance and break off for your pickups. Use your 8 hr requests and file on them when they don't honor them. Embrace the OT... they are gonna give it to you anyway so make them pay you for it in full.

hembone

Simple, make it more profitable to add another route. As long as your neighbors don't file and you're the only one who does, they pay you and work them. Want another route in, get your entire loop to start filing, or just keep making 90 bucks an hour till they realize they are working for less money then you. Show them that grievance check when you get paid, make sure you mention you got paid 1.5 times more money then them for the same work. If that doesn't work and they just load down your neighbors, thank them for taking all your extra work and you'll leave the lights on for them as management needs you in before 9.5 today. Make sure you give them the two "guns fingers" with a wink, that tends to get them riled up. When they finally get fed up and want to file ask the "What took you so long" to make sure they are pissed off enough to actually turn it in.

Long story short, the process to get more routes is already here, members need to use it and make it unprofitable to leave people out there due them cutting routes. Once again it comes down to member involvement.

That was the problem we had, too many drivers afraid to file. I was a steward and that was the most aggravating part of it. Drivers that would come up and complain (usually the same ones everyday) but never file or even put their names on the 9.5 list. The few that did want the extra hours, more power to them.
One thing happened this year (only once). The drivers on the list that had worked past 9.5 two days got to bring their cars in and drivers that were not on the list or ones that were but had not worked past 9.5 two days had to take the stops back out and finish the route.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One thing happened this year (only once). The drivers on the list that had worked past 9.5 two days got to bring their cars in and drivers that were not on the list or ones that were but had not worked past 9.5 two days had to take the stops back out and finish the route.

There is a reason it only happened once---it is not fair to the drivers who were done.

hembone

There is a reason it only happened once---it is not fair to the drivers who were done.

I agree it's not fair, but I'm not sure why it only happened once. Maybe the manager thought the lunch skippers would start taking their meal. I've seen to many times when UPS was not fair to the drivers who got done early.

brown_trousers

Would it even matter we negotiated better overtime penalties? It doesn't sound like teamsters is really standing behind the 9.5 language with full force anyhow.

hembone

Would it even matter we negotiated better overtime penalties? It doesn't sound like teamsters is really standing behind the 9.5 language with full force anyhow.

Exactly, that's the problem.. UPS really isn't breaking the contract. The ones that file eventually get the triple time. What can the union do if the company works drivers past 9.5 then pays the penalty? The only thing I can think of is next contract have language that says "no working past 9.5 over two days a week" and for the drivers that do want the hours (Upstate NY did make a good point on this a few posts ago) let them have them. In other words have a 9.5 list that says no working past 9.5 two days in one week PERIOD (barring something like a breakdown etc.) and the drivers that don't get on the list can have all the hours they want.

brown_trousers

Exactly, that's the problem.. UPS really isn't breaking the contract. The ones that file eventually get the triple time. What can the union do if the company works drivers past 9.5 then pays the penalty? The only thing I can think of is next contract have language that says "no working past 9.5 over two days a week" and for the drivers that do want the hours (Upstate NY did make a good point on this a few posts ago) let them have them. In other words have a 9.5 list that says no working past 9.5 two days in one week PERIOD (barring something like a breakdown etc.) and the drivers that don't get on the list can have all the hours they want.

for the next contract we should replace the penalty for 9.5 language. Instead of receiving triple time pay, we should replace it with a mathematical formula that forces UPS to create a new FT driver job after "x" amount of over 9.5 overtime hours have been logged. That would be a whole lot more incentive for them to give drivers reasonable hours

Delivered

What do you think the Teamsters will or should ask for in the next contract to reduce unwanted OT?

Automatic Double time after 9.5 hours. No exceptions even during peak, No need to file or sign a list, if you can't live on 40 hours on what we make you are living well beyond your means.

union4life

You are correct in my oppinion. I don't think I would go as far as to taunt my fellow co-workers, but I would make sure I explain to them the reasoning behind my actions.
The language works in my center. I know a lot of drivers that complain but don't use the contract tools that are in place. Why? From what I have seen, the answer is more often than not, the drivers are simply too "lazy" to do the job the correct way. I really hate to use the word "lazy". I don't mean it in a derogatory manner. I just can't seem to grasp why drivers who are going to make this job a life long commitment, won't put forth the effort to make UPS happy by following all the rules. They are affraid of management getting on their car and firing them for minor infractions. They know they don't have "clean" work methods. They don't know their "depth of knowledge". They can't take the "heat-pressure" when they are approached. For all these reasons, they simply will take the easy road and blame the drivers who do it right.

Of course, these are simply the oppinions I have formed after working in my center for 20 years. Some people just don't get it. We have what we have because of the Brothers and Sisters before us. Protect your job and use the contract. Ignorant people misconstrue this as selfish behavior. Take the time to educate them. We need everyone on board.

LagunaBrown

We made a petition for Unfair Production Standards of our website. Hopefully people will actually sign it instead of just bitching.

dmbusha

Anyone know how the penalty pay works? Have been on the 9.5 list a long time and have already had two 9.5's this week. Got called in to pre-load this morning at 4am. Of course, Sup. loaded heavy me today (probably because he knew he could get away with it). Ended up working a 13 today. Is the penalty pay automatic or do they enter it in each week for each driver?

union4life

Anyone know how the penalty pay works? Have been on the 9.5 list a long time and have already had two 9.5's this week. Got called in to pre-load this morning at 4am. Of course, Sup. loaded heavy me today (probably because he knew he could get away with it). Ended up working a 13 today. Is the penalty pay automatic or do they enter it in each week for each driver?​

The procedure is not automatic. Since the company knows you do not want "excessive" overtime and your name appears on the list to "opt-in 9.5 language" you have the right to file a grievance under Article 37 Sec.[1][c]. Any hours in excess of 9.5 hours for any 3 or more days that you over 9.5 in a workweek will be paid at triple-time provided your grievance is won.

Remember, the triple-time penalty that is awarded to you is minus the [1.5] time and a half you were already paid on your check. Is that clear? I'll try to word it again. When you win your grievance, you will be paid time and a half for the total hours worked over 9.5 each day.

Hopefully, your Local is doing their job and you receive a "notice of settlement" regarding your grievance. This is important. From the day your grievance is settled, the company has 10 days to pay the penalty. Watch for it and be counting the days. If the payment [noted on your check as "adjustment" or "grievance"] is not paid in 10 days, you need notify the company immediately. The company has until your second scheduled workday to get you your money if the amount is over $30 for full-time or $15 for part-time. If they do not, you can file another grievance for a "pay shortage" under Article 17. This grievance will allow for an additional penalty of half your daily guarantee for each full week the shortage goes uncorrected.

This proceedure can get you a very large sum if you are timely in its execution.​

upsset

What do you think the Teamsters will or should ask for in the next contract to reduce unwanted OT?

Hembone, your question exemplifies a major part of the problems we are experiencing these days. Too many of us think that there is; the company, the teamsters, and than us. We are never going to make any progress against excessive o/t, harassment, and route slashing until we recognize that we are the teamsters and nothing will change until we start to have some unity of purpose and take an active roll in the fight. Your stewarts and business agents can only accomplish so much without the membership firmly behind them. I'm not just talking about moral support either, stand up and be counted. File, File, File, and then file some more. Grievances are a slow process but they will work if enough are filed. Secondly, exercise your rights under the contract; if your route is cut insist on working in classification, do a route cold if you have to, the time you loose working blind will eleminate any time saving benifit they got from eleminating your route. Talk to the runners, lunch skippers, and the drivers working before their start time, explain to them how their actions are costing full time jobs. Stick together and strengthen your union before it is too late!!!!!!!!!