Ken Adams

Brown makes my eyes pop.
What do you think the future of UPS will be with these new fully electric Semis by Tesla? Will UPS be one of the companies that will push the integration of electric vehicles? Should feeders be worried?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
With anything ups does it only has to look good on paper. To hell with real world.
We will be running out of battery just like the lng runs out of fuel. Buy stock in tow trucks.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
No, do some DD on TSLA, everything they do loses money. Musk is nothing more than a good car salesman. Look up how many model 3’s they promised to make and how many are delivered for example. Every single car they build is built at a loss. They are going to have to do another offering in order to raise cash, otherwise this musical chair of debt game they are playing will come crashing down.

Staydryitsraining

No, do some DD on TSLA, everything they do loses money. Musk is nothing more than a good car salesman. Look up how many model 3’s they promised to make and how many are delivered for example. Every single car they build is built at a loss. They are going to have to do another offering in order to raise cash, otherwise this musical chair of debt game they are playing will come crashing down.
Amazon was loosing money for years. Means nothing anymore.

Indecisi0n

When the truck malfunctions and kills a family who do you blame? I understand the whole autonomous cars craze and maybe on a very small level is ok with it on normal none city roads but put them in the city or on the highway and now it gets hairy.

People say the highway is the easiest but what does a truck do when some ignores the truck and merges right in front of it because they are about to miss their exit. Do it hit the car beside it? Does it slam the brakes and cause the car behind it to hit them? Or simple do nothing? Should be very interesting to say the least.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Ups uses the train system to perfection. If anything I see investment in rails. In the north east. There is a train of UPS trailers. That doesn't stop. All other trains need to wait for this hot load to pass. Driverless semi's will be the future. It just doesn't save time for long distance trailers

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Problem is, Amazon is about gobbling up market share, problem Tesla faces is other manufacturers are gobbling up thier market share, and making money doing it.

And to add on top of that, Amazon actually posted a profit, albeit a very small one.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
A disiel or LNG can do two runs a day, getting fueled in between. The electric truck can do one run, because it has to sit half the day recharging.

I'm not seeing how needing twice as many trucks is a cost saving measure.

DRporch

would love to see how theyd back it up with no cameras on the trailers. oh wait ups would totally put cameras on trailers... who is to clean the camera when its covered in dirt? they can pay me $34.50 an hour to wipe that dirt off

we know this is where theyd take it

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
The only way you could justify them would be to run them into the ground but we are already doing that with CNG and LNG tractors which cost about the same per mile to run. We have a few day cab tractors that run close to 6k miles a week.

A maintenance guy told me after all the money is spent installing pumps, UPS is paying $1.20 a gallon for CNG at my hub. On a 550 mile run they are saving $150 a day just on fuel and most of our tractors do two runs a day. With tax credits they are paying for themselves.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
When they program these rigs to expect the unexpected and to react properly with no death or destruction , I'd be out of a job

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Friday nite , with a 53' trailer on me , stop at sign , look LrL , proceeded with caution , a Boston bike currier cuts through a parking lot out of no where and cuts me off ,, I stopped rig within a foot or two of him !!
Let's see a tesla rig compensate this quickly !!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Friday nite , with a 53' trailer on me , stop at sign , look LrL , proceeded with caution , a Boston bike currier cuts through a parking lot out of no where and cuts me off ,, I stopped rig within a foot or two of him !!
Let's see a tesla rig compensate this quickly !!
AI excels in controled conditions. If anything is more evident, look at Orion. When you insert human behavior and illogical thinking, computers can’t compensate.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
When they program these rigs to expect the unexpected and to react properly with no death or destruction , I'd be out of a job
A big part of Tesla's sales pitch for these is "platooning", linking two trucks electronically, presumably with only one driver. Could be a big job eliminator depending on future regulations.

35years

Gravy route
Amazon has been profitable 10 straight quarters.

Amazon had 2.37 Billion in net profit for 2016 on 136 Billion in sales/revenue .

UPS had 3.3 Billion in net profit in 2016 on 61 Billion in revenue.

Time for people to stop saying Amazon does not turn a profit.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Amazon has been profitable 10 straight quarters.

Amazon had 2.37 Billion in net profit for 2016 on 136 Billion in sales/revenue .

UPS had 3.3 Billion in net profit in 2016 on 61 Billion in revenue.

Time for people to stop saying Amazon does not turn a profit.
....because of their cloud computing sector.

rod

Retired 22 years
Nothing but some ones big pipedream. Even if this tech is proven safe in 20 years of testing UPS will drag its feet buying into it. They are always the last to implement new technology. UPS is still running trucks with no power steering for christs sakes.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Nothing but some ones big pipedream. Even if this tech is proven safe in 20 years of testing UPS will drag its feet buying into it. They are always the last to implement new technology. UPS is still running trucks with no power steering for christs sakes.
We FINALLY got rid of the last of our manual, non power steering PC's last year!