UPS announcement About money

image.jpeg

InsideUPS

Not sure what your attempting to convey however UPS has always been a profitable company. Some years they make more and some years they make less......but in the end...they have always been profitable. Future profits will largely depend on the decisions made in Atlanta. At the center level, management is struggling while UPS Atlanta is failing to provide incentives (reduced health care benefits, ending pensions, etc.) to retain good management employees.

Reference:
UPS Net Income 2006-2019 | UPS

UPS annual/quarterly net income history and growth rate from 2006 to 2019. Net income can be defined as company's net profit or loss after all revenues, income items, and expenses have been accounted for.
  • UPS net income for the quarter ending March 31, 2019 was $1.111B, a 17.4% decline year-over-year.
  • UPS net income for the twelve months ending March 31, 2019 was $4.557B, a 10.37% decline year-over-year.
  • UPS annual net income for 2018 was $4.791B, a 2.32% decline from 2017.
  • UPS annual net income for 2017 was $4.905B, a 43.34% increase from 2016.
  • UPS annual net income for 2016 was $3.422B, a 29.36% decline from 2015.

Staydryitsraining

We were inflated by Amazon. Piss poor planning on Atlanta to think and build off of Amazon. They took upper management for years everyone knew their endgame. Our profit will continue to slide with them delivering more and more of their own stuff. Next contract you will see ftd pay frozen at 40. In my opinion our pay should have been frozen at 37.

We were inflated by Amazon. Piss poor planning on Atlanta to think and build off of Amazon. They took upper management for years everyone knew their endgame. Our profit will continue to slide with them delivering more and more of their own stuff. Next contract you will see ftd pay frozen at 40. In my opinion our pay should have been frozen at 37.
What’s an ftd? Do you mean the ftd florist?

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Agree 100%. I think overall, the demise of UPS has been overblown, influenced by paranoia. However when you attempt to forecast into the future, you realize that we may have "peaked." Amazon delivery service is only going to get larger from here. I don't think any of us should be freaking out looking for a new job, but I do think that we're going to see some big changes over the life of this new contract. Will be interesting to see where we're at, more importantly where AMAZON is in four years when it's time to vote again

Amazon has no need for “upper management”. They’ve been looking for “operations” the last 15 years. Even the “sell out” areas wouldn’t agree to a $37 pay freeze. Or a $40 pay freeze next contract since many drivers will be making over $41 at the end of this contract. UPS is not at the point where they need to clawback wages.

Staydryitsraining

Amazon has no need for “upper management”. They’ve been looking for “operations” the last 15 years. Even the “sell out” areas wouldn’t agree to a $37 pay freeze. Or a $40 pay freeze next contract since many drivers will be making over $41 at the end of this contract. UPS is not at the point where they need to clawback wages.
I didnt mean upper management you see in your building. I meant people who actually make decisions. We dont live in 2002 where its UPS or FedEx. It's completely ignorant to think there is a sustainable path with continuing raises with how much we already make. The same people crying about 22.4s are the same saying pay freeze my ass. Like the guy said on another post. You all will whine about wanting 40 an hour now to not have a job in 5 years. UPS nor any other company exist for us. We bust our ass and are extremely taken care of minus the mandatory OT.

I didnt mean upper management you see in your building. I meant people who actually make decisions. We dont live in 2002 where its UPS or FedEx. It's completely ignorant to think there is a sustainable path with continuing raises with how much we already make. The same people crying about 22.4s are the same saying pay freeze my ass. Like the guy said on another post. You all will whine about wanting 40 an hour now to not have a job in 5 years. UPS nor any other company exist for us. We bust our ass and are extremely taken care of minus the mandatory OT.
I don’t see any upper management in any of my buildings, only operations. Ups’ raises are more than sustainable for the next 5 years. As long as other companies continue giving raises, UPS will probably not be in the position of a wage freeze.

BlackCat

Agree 100%. I think overall, the demise of UPS has been overblown, influenced by paranoia. However when you attempt to forecast into the future, you realize that we may have "peaked." Amazon delivery service is only going to get larger from here. I don't think any of us should be freaking out looking for a new job, but I do think that we're going to see some big changes over the life of this new contract. Will be interesting to see where we're at, more importantly where AMAZON is in four years when it's time to vote again
I still do not understand why we just dont cut Amazons throat while we still have the opportunity.

Either make shipping costs outrageous or simply stop delivering their :censored2:, or at least make them pick up their own returns.

Amazon is not our friend, and will never be our friend.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Amazon won’t hurt us. We don’t make money on residential business anyway. If I recall correctly and I could be wrong but amazon only accounts to around 10% of our profits. Sure it’s a good chunk but not bad considering how big amazon is.

ManInBrown

I still do not understand why we just dont cut Amazons throat while we still have the opportunity.

Either make shipping costs outrageous or simply stop delivering their :censored2:, or at least make them pick up their own returns.

Amazon is not our friend, and will never be our friend.
Should have been done years ago. UPS could have single handedly put Amazon out of business. Deliver your own sheet. They would never be the company they are today without UPS. They would have drowned trying to get all their crap delivered only using Fedex and the USPS. Now it’s too late.

Rutherford B Hays

gun accipere, et abire cannoli
Amazon won’t hurt us. We don’t make money on residential business anyway. If I recall correctly and I could be wrong but amazon only accounts to around 10% of our profits. Sure it’s a good chunk but not bad considering how big amazon is.
Only about 10% of volume, not profit. Last I heard it was about 1.5% of profit

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
When ups decides to quit giving 10% dividend raises every year we can start to think about scaling back raises.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Should have been done years ago. UPS could have single handedly put Amazon out of business. Deliver your own sheet. They would never be the company they are today without UPS. They would have drowned trying to get all their crap delivered only using Fedex and the USPS. Now it’s too late.
Or charge them full price and their investors would have tanked on them years ago.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
Hog wash---They always told us our center didn't make any money either- period. How the hell can UPS make any money? They also say they don't make money on Ground or COD's or during peak. Nothing seems to work. They may as well give up.

InsideUPS

Top earner full time drivers have peaked IMHO.... UPS is going to make full use of the 22.4 language to keep wage costs down. UPS will have to continue to provide incentives (future wage increases, etc.) for part-time employees considering job competition from Amazon, Target, etc.. UPS is smart and knows how to "tweak the Excel Spreadsheet" amongst it's employees. There will be a dwindling number of top wage drivers along with management taking hits on their salary and benefits.

UPS Fact Sheet

Also interesting to see the breakdown of employees at UPS (2015 data).

Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 2.07.03 PM.png