UPS Benefits - Car Discounts (On Topic)

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I made the "mistake" of calling it kick-back one time at which point, the sales manager explained to me what it is called and how it works.
I wasn't even trying to rile him up (hard to believe I know) but he did not like "kickback" at all.
My last car, I bought online from the dealer. Got it for a few hundred over invoice.

Shop around people and don't be afraid to walk.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My last car, I bought online from the dealer. Got it for a few hundred over invoice.

Shop around people and don't be afraid to walk.
I am ready to walk away as soon as I come into the dealership.
It embarrasses my wife so she doesn't come with me when the dealing begins.

bumped

Take the discount to a dealer you don't wish to buy from on a similar package vehicle. This way you know where you can start your negotiation from on the vehicle you really want.

Returntosender

Average savings of 3500.00 they mention on the website is a lie. Dealer only was willing to take 700.00 sticker.

Someone else used the Costco auto bargain deal to get a Chevy.

over9five

Staff member
Has anyone looked for this on UPSers lately? Looking under Employee Discounts, I can't find anything related to car buying...

PACNW

I used the Ford discount to buy my Explorer in 2014. It was my easiest car buying experience yet. Saved $6500 off MSRP, no haggling. They have several tiers of discounts. A family member there told me that ours wasn't the best one, but it was among the best and better than their "Buy like a Ford employee" promotion that they run occasionally.

Also, if you like to haggle, it's best to buy the last couple of days of the month. They are usually trying desperately to make sales quickly, because the dealerships get rewarded by the manufacturer for meeting monthly sales goals.

clean hairy

You do realize that the invoice price you see is nowhere close to the the actual price the dealer has paid.
When you hear the word invoice, which invoice is the Dealer working from?
Know that Dealer invoice is made up numbers on a sheet of paper they print out. (Hmmm...., who else might we know who might do that? but I digress) Dealer Invoice is their price where they can make a quick close and has a healthy profit built in. "Don't let my Boss know I showed you this, but sticker on that car is $25,600, and here is our invoice with our cost at $22,950. I can write an offer at $23,700 and see if he takes it, we DO have to make a profit after all!"
Now, the FACTORY Invoice is a bit closer to what the Dealer cost might be, and Dealer Invoice is thousands above Factory invoice.
Factory invoice still is not an accurate number of what a Dealer paid for the car, there are other variables at work.

clean hairy

I don't have the ability to pay with cash but I do carry a $1000 deductible to lower my premiums.

I never get any of the add-ons like the extended warranty or credit insurance.

I never realized that you could barter with the finance guys-----good suggestion.
Always purchase GAP Insurance.
This happened to a Supe at my Hub. His car got totaled, Insurance gave him a check for $10,000. He owed $15,000 and still had to pay the Bank the remaining $5,000 for a car in the Wrecking Yard. If you tell the bank to kiss my grits, they take you to court, get a judgment, and the balance goes up even more due to Atty fees and court costs being added on, along with your credit taking a major hit..
Gap Insurance makes up the difference in a case such as this.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Has anyone looked for this on UPSers lately? Looking under Employee Discounts, I can't find anything related to car buying...

They are still there.

On the home page look on the right hand side for Employee Discounts. Click on that then click on UPS SmartSavings Discount Marketplace. Toward the bottom of that page you will see a link (in blue) to their website. Click on that and start shopping.

It is not as easy as it used to be to navigate their site.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I used the Ford discount to buy my Explorer in 2014. It was my easiest car buying experience yet. Saved $6500 off MSRP, no haggling. They have several tiers of discounts. A family member there told me that ours wasn't the best one, but it was among the best and better than their "Buy like a Ford employee" promotion that they run occasionally.

Also, if you like to haggle, it's best to buy the last couple of days of the month. They are usually trying desperately to make sales quickly, because the dealerships get rewarded by the manufacturer for meeting monthly sales goals.

...and they don't have to pay tax on that vehicle...