UPS Benefits - Car Discounts (On Topic)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Always purchase GAP Insurance.
This happened to a Supe at my Hub. His car got totaled, Insurance gave him a check for $10,000. He owed $15,000 and still had to pay the Bank the remaining $5,000 for a car in the Wrecking Yard. If you tell the bank to kiss my grits, they take you to court, get a judgment, and the balance goes up even more due to Atty fees and court costs being added on, along with your credit taking a major hit..
Gap Insurance makes up the difference in a case such as this.

GAP Insurance is required on leases in NY.

My father passed away owing money on his SUV. My brother was handling his finances and was sent a 1099 for the difference between the amount he owed and what they got for the car at auction.

over9five

Staff member
They are still there.

On the home page look on the right hand side for Employee Discounts. Click on that then click on UPS SmartSavings Discount Marketplace. Toward the bottom of that page you will see a link (in blue) to their website. Click on that and start shopping.

It is not as easy as it used to be to navigate their site.
Thanks, I'll check it out after work. Can't seem to log on with my phone...

P

pickup

It's a no-haggle set price that is OK if you don't like to haggle.

I negotiate to dealer invoice price or go elsewhere ... but I enjoy the process.
I visit at least 3 times with the same salesman to get them invested.
I always negotiate a drive-out price because that gives me leverage with the finance person. Finance is the money maker for the dealership.
I can easily handle the sales but financing is much harder ... some of these people can make $250,000 or more because they are paid percentages of these 1000% marked up add-ons they try to charge you with.

Watch the finance guys ... I negotiate their fees down to $200 and no extras.
I don't care for the warranty add-ons but they are OK if you want the security.
I also pay cash so I don't have to carry anything but liability insurance.
Insurance robs one of their wealth if you can afford to replace/repair yourself.
I have not had a charged accident since 1994 so it's paid off big time for me.

You say you pay cash so you obviously don't need a loan so what you mean by "finance guy"? To me , the finance guy is the guy that deals with loans. Do you really mean the "extras guy"?, the guy who is there to sell add ons such as rustproofing, extra warranties , etc.

P

pickup

GAP Insurance is required on leases in NY.

My father passed away owing money on his SUV. My brother was handling his finances and was sent a 1099 for the difference between the amount he owed and what they got for the car at auction.

Upstate has a brother? We know about all the other family members, this is the first I heard about a brother.

BrownArmy

I used the discount earlier this year, basically brought the price of the car down to list price.

I don't care for negotiations, and it's not my strong suit.

Worked for me.

clean hairy

Financing already arranged, walk into the Dealership and done in less than 90 minutes.
Never believe "The price on the internet is our lowest price, we cannot sell it for any less"
If you look closely, you may see a "make offer" button somewhere near the internet price.

By The Book

Always purchase GAP Insurance.
This happened to a Supe at my Hub. His car got totaled, Insurance gave him a check for $10,000. He owed $15,000 and still had to pay the Bank the remaining $5,000 for a car in the Wrecking Yard. If you tell the bank to kiss my grits, they take you to court, get a judgment, and the balance goes up even more due to Atty fees and court costs being added on, along with your credit taking a major hit..
Gap Insurance makes up the difference in a case such as this.
Gap insurance isn't necessary if your loan amout is equal to or lower than the value of your car if it's totaled. This is the case if you put say 25% down. If you don't put any down or a small amount it's usually required, at some point. You can decline it at the dealership but your insurance company will require it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You say you pay cash so you obviously don't need a loan so what you mean by "finance guy"? To me , the finance guy is the guy that deals with loans. Do you really mean the "extras guy"?, the guy who is there to sell add ons such as rustproofing, extra warranties , etc.
In my experience, that is one and the same.