UPS Benefits - Car Discounts (On Topic)

Cardb0ard.

Beer and more beer
So yesterday one of my coworkers told me that once I get my benefits I could get discounts on cars, is this true? If so would it be any brand of car?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Since when have you worried about the rules?

Good point.

OP---the word that you appear to be struggling with is spelled benefits.

Now, to your question-----the list of major auto makers that extend their supplier discounts to upsers can be found on upsers.com.

I have used the discounts twice at Chevy and 3 times at Nissan. No hassle pricing makes the car buying/leasing experience that much more pleasant.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Can you really get a better deal than if you negotiated yourself?

When I leased my current car (the one with all the bells and whistles) the salesman told me that I got a better deal than even he could get.

I suppose you could do a little bit better if you did it yourself but it took me less than two hours to complete all of the paperwork and drive off in my new Altima, thanks to the VSP discount.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm sorry but I seriously doubt that.

Sales person's are trained to make the customer feel good.

....which I would agree if I were an occasional customer but this is my third Nissan from the same dealer.....I should also mention that I am their pickup driver so I know everyone in there by name...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Can you really get a better deal than if you negotiated yourself?
It's a no-haggle set price that is OK if you don't like to haggle.

I negotiate to dealer invoice price or go elsewhere ... but I enjoy the process.
I visit at least 3 times with the same salesman to get them invested.
I always negotiate a drive-out price because that gives me leverage with the finance person. Finance is the money maker for the dealership.
I can easily handle the sales but financing is much harder ... some of these people can make $250,000 or more because they are paid percentages of these 1000% marked up add-ons they try to charge you with.

Watch the finance guys ... I negotiate their fees down to $200 and no extras.
I don't care for the warranty add-ons but they are OK if you want the security.
I also pay cash so I don't have to carry anything but liability insurance.
Insurance robs one of their wealth if you can afford to replace/repair yourself.
I have not had a charged accident since 1994 so it's paid off big time for me.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I negotiate to dealer invoice price or go elsewhere ... but I enjoy the process.

Insurance robs one of their wealth if you can afford to replace/repair yourself.

I don't have the ability to pay with cash but I do carry a $1000 deductible to lower my premiums.

I never get any of the add-ons like the extended warranty or credit insurance.

I never realized that you could barter with the finance guys-----good suggestion.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
When I leased my current car (the one with all the bells and whistles) the salesman told me that I got a better deal than even he could get.

I suppose you could do a little bit better if you did it yourself but it took me less than two hours to complete all of the paperwork and drive off in my new Altima, thanks to the VSP discount.
Don't believe anything a sales person tells you!!!
I negotiate and it takes me at least 3 visits and often 6 to 9 hours to negotiate the final deal.
I always negotiate a drive-out price because that gives me leverage with the finance person.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

I always negotiate a drive-out price because that gives me leverage with the finance person. Finance is the money maker for the dealership.
I can easily handle the sales but financing is much harder ... some of these people can make $250,000 or more because they are paid percentages of these 1000% marked up add-ons they try to charge you with.

You do realize that the invoice price you see is nowhere close to the the actual price the dealer has paid.

Cardb0ard.

Beer and more beer
Good point.

OP---the word that you appear to be struggling with is spelled benefits.

Now, to your question-----the list of major auto makers that extend their supplier discounts to upsers can be found on upsers.com.

I have used the discounts twice at Chevy and 3 times at Nissan. No hassle pricing makes the car buying/leasing experience that much more pleasant.
Does it matter whether is a truck? Or no? This might be a dumb question but yeah just asking.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I don't have the ability to pay with cash but I do carry a $1000 deductible to lower my premiums.

I never get any of the add-ons like the extended warranty or credit insurance.

I never realized that you could barter with the finance guys-----good suggestion.
The key is to write "Drive out price" in pen on the contract when the sales person offers you the price you can live with.
Anything written in ink on the contract supersedes anything type-written --- that is contract law.
The Sales manager will tell you he/she can't speak for the Finance person.
All you want is to move it along the process.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Does it matter whether is a truck? Or no? This might be a dumb question but yeah just asking.
Shouldn't matter unless you want a high-demand vehicle.
I personally don't care about what a vehicle looks like or the color as long as it is light colored (I live in the hot South).
I would often scout the dealership on the internet and see if there is a vehicle I find acceptable that has been sitting on the lot for a while.
My current vehicle (Kia Sorento 2.6 V-6 4 wheel drive) had a sticker price of $28,900 but it had been on the lot for almost a year.
Got it for $18,500 and $250 on financing.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You do realize that the invoice price you see is nowhere close to the the actual price the dealer has paid.
You can get the actual invoice price off the internet.
I don't believe anything anybody tells me at a car dealership.

Even at invoice, the dealership gets incentives from the manufacturers when they sell a vehicle.

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
You can get the actual invoice price off the internet.
I don't believe anything anybody tells me at a car dealership.

Even at invoice, the dealership gets incentives from the manufacturers when they sell a vehicle.

I did a dealer buy for a 71k car yesterday. Invoice was 65k. The price from dealer-to-dealer,the check I had, was 62k.

They always have lots of wiggle room.