UPS & Cell Phones

over9five

Staff member
Sign up for one of the cell phone plan discounts on UPSers.com. This way, UPS IS PAYING FOR SOME OF YOUR MINUTES!

My sup has my cell number, calls me occasionally (3 times a week, maybe), doesn't abuse it. And I don't mind because the UPS discount is $11 a month.

Get that discount, IT'S FREE!

HazMatMan

Hey sorry to stir the pot, this was not the place to do it. I have unresolved issues with my employer (UPS)and I guess in my frustration I got carried away. As for all the red dots, that I still don't understand, I guess I got to thank Tie Guy for that. I am new on this forum & still learning how to use this site. I have many thoughts on how UPS does business & treats their employees but we all do. So again I am sorry to start this crap it was just out of frustration and a little anger & disgust at how my company is treating me and my family

Funny how you say "My company" is treating you and your "family" Your anger and disgust may be legitimate, but people like you is why I stopped being a Steward.

29yearhasbeen

I drove for about 23 years and have spent the last 6 as a clerk.
Here in California, it's legal to talk on a cell phone while your driving without a hands free device. That will hopefully end next year, I believe.

I am waiting for the fateful day when a ???pound UPS vehicle gets involved in a serious accident. I hope, for the drivers sake, that they were answering a UPS call that they were instructed that they had to take "or else". If you're on a personal cal, which I see MANY of our drivers doing, not only will YOU be toast, but somebody will own the company. That's the point that UPS will declare that no more cell calls will be made.

In our center we have mostly manual transmissions and it's amazing to me to see a driver with a cell phone stuck to their ear, shifting and steering at the same time. That should actually take 3 hands, not 2 and a knee.

I remember a short while back that a sign was posted at work that cell phones were not to be used in vehicles. I don't know what ever happened to that sign.

Also, it will be very easy for the company to say that they never instructed you to answer your cell phone while you were driving. They will say the you should pull off the road and be safe. That, of course, will be after they chastise you for not answering your phone. It's always YOUR call to answer the phone or not.

If it were me, and they had my cell number, I would check caller ID and make my call to them from a customers phone. If they don't like it, pay my bill.

One last thing, supervisors at my center got UPS issued phones for company use. A couple opted for Nextel type phones. I don't have an immediate problem with most of my supervisors as I've worked with most of them for almost all of my 29 years and we have a mutual respect for each others jobs. It's transplants above them I have the most problems with.

HazMat Man
Lucky for ALL the employees like ME. I have never needed a steward and if they all think like you I am glad you will never be a steward again too. You have no idea what I do, what the situation is, but boy u sure think you know me. Go load an HM10

HazMatMan

HazMat Man
Lucky for ALL the employees like ME. I have never needed a steward and if they all think like you I am glad you will never be a steward again too. You have no idea what I do, what the situation is, but boy u sure think you know me. Go load an HM10

Sorry you must have misunderstood me, I don't want to know you. I love people like you who say you never need a Steward, you are the one the Steward has to save for putting your foot in your mouth. As for the job task you want me to do, i've been at UPS for 19 years, been there done that...

Sorry you must have misunderstood me, I don't want to know you. I love people like you who say you never need a Steward, you are the one the Steward has to save for putting your foot in your mouth. As for the job task you want me to do, i've been at UPS for 19 years, been there done that...

NOR I YOU

I said "I never needed a steward" I fight my own battles, as for the foot in the mouth I have a better place for it :lol:
And as for the job task I am sure you have done it more than once.

My company has had very little contact with my family, maybe once or twice in 18 years. My company has NEVER treated my family badly.

Sheesh, What happens to you has no affect on your family?and since a couple of you take issue with me calling UPS "my company" I will for now on say "the company I work for"

1989 has your company ever treated you badly?

upsdude

My sup calls me maybe 4-5 times a week, generally it’s for my convenience. I figure if my wife occasionally calls me on UPS time, I can certainly take a call from UPS on their time.

tieguy

Banned
I drove for about 23 years and have spent the last 6 as a clerk.
Here in California, it's legal to talk on a cell phone while your driving without a hands free device. That will hopefully end next year, I believe.

I am waiting for the fateful day when a ???pound UPS vehicle gets involved in a serious accident. I hope, for the drivers sake, that they were answering a UPS call that they were instructed that they had to take "or else".

Why do you hope somone will have a bad accident answering a UPS phone call? What if he is answering a phone call from his wife. Should the other person involved in the bad accident then sue his wife for calling him. I'm also curious as to why you would think UPS would be able to instruct anyone to use their personal cell phone while on duty? Sounds like a lot of hate and discontent in your post. If I felt that way I think I would get rid of my cell phone instead of hoping it can somehow be a tool to make life at ups more miserable.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I got my cell when I had an hour commute on a lonely thruway.
I use it to my convienience, which does include calling my center and them at times calling me, I write off one half of my bill on my taxes as they are mostly UPS calls. And no one as of yet has abused it and if I think they are I dont answer , its called caller ID. I have several warehouses which are not manned, and they might call if they miss me, and I tell them where they can find me. Ive had people call me on vaca and it isnt a big deal, I just tell them to call the center. Its all part of service and 46 weeks out of the year, thats what I do, is provide a service that they may not be able to get through the 1800 number, and its my choice. Shut it off, dont answer, or throw it away. Its 2007, you know who it is, if you dont want to answer, dont.

rapidrandall

slow but sure
It amazes me as I watch UPS slash & cut benefits for the employee. How many of us use our cell phones for on the job duties? What does that save UPS? How effective would UPS be without that constant communication with the employees? AND WHO PAYS FOR IT? WE DO! ARE WE CRAZY? My phone must ring at least 20 times a day for UPS business. Keep taking from us UPS and I for one am going to shut my phone OFF @ work. CAN U IMAGINE if we ALL DID?:ohmy:
I've followed this thread and understand you have some issues with someone at UPS. I respectfully ask you to man up and address these problems so they can be resolved. Using your phone at work is your choice and not required by UPS. Before there were cellphones or pagers us old timers still managed to get the job done. I'm sure you never use your cell for personal use while on the clock, because this could be considered stealing time. In life if you take a hard stance, you had better be right! I've been around a long time and if there is something I could help you with feel welcome to pm me.

Regard,
Rapid

DS

Fenderbender
God help us if it happens,but ups could work out a plan with the cell phone community that gives them free local calls wheras they could
be in touch with us every minute of every day.You could not make
personal calls.I bet it would be the next add after the whiteboard.
We give every driver a cell phone to make sure you get your package.

Rapid, thanks for the offer. I have manned up and have addressed the issue but the company is trying to wear me down & make me go away which I will not. The phone issue was just frustration and lashing back but so you know I am also fighting for others not just myself. Corp. dropped the ball and now dosn't know how to pick it up & make it right & that is the reason for my frustration. In my heart I know I am right & I am also sad that after all these years I am being treated like this from a company I had always been so proud to work for