UPS contract hurts or helps FedEx?

fedx

Extra Large Package
Yep. And don't be surprised if XPO Logistics decides to get in the game. Don't know why they haven't to this point.

Don't forget DHL is still around. They are the largest shipper overall in the world. They have a lot of market share in the US they could try to obtain. They've been sitting back in the US for some reason.

bacha29

Don't forget DHL is still around. They are the largest shipper overall in the world. They have a lot of market share in the US they could try to obtain. They've been sitting back in the US for some reason.
They tried to run domestic ground operation. Ended up having to fly much of it's ground just to get it there eventually. lost more than 600 million bucks doing it until they finally decided to pack it in.
You did hit a bullseye . The would be some one who might decide to get back in the domestic ground game at some point.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
UPS went all in on their drivers and showed them respect , with that they’ll get quality workers. That means they’ll attract the best people applying at their company and be able to turn away the scrubs.
FedEx has taken the exact opposite approach. They’re trying to get to the bottom of the barrel, filling their company with anyone who applies. RAJ , a person who has no idea how to run a route and is strictly a numbers guy takes over because Fred couldn’t do his own dirty work.
If fedex doesn’t change direction , they’ll be ranked right behind RedExpress and Door Dash
What does Raj having never run a route have to do with anything?

59 Dano

Might have something to do with the spectacular, monumental failure that was their domestic delivery network from 2003 to 2009.

Mutineer

Might have something to do with the spectacular, monumental failure that was their domestic delivery network from 2003 to 2009.

I quit Airborne Express as soon as DHL was about to take over.

DHL (and /or their contractors) treating the former Airborne drivers like crap, and the constant turnover that resulted caused alot of problems.

vantexan

DHL (and /or their contractors) treating the former Airborne drivers like crap, and the constant turnover that resulted caused alot of problems.
I used to deliver to Airborne's headquarters in Seattle in 1989-90. I asked the mailroom guy why they got so much FedEx? He laughed and said people wanted to make sure it got there.

59 Dano

Airborne was losing money anyway when it was bought by DHL. It made Ground look like white glove service.

59 Dano

Which was great, but I don’t see how with all the cuts being made that they would ever think of giving people a raise. Do you know differently?
Depends on who you ask. The board is always tight-lipped about raises and they don't let stuff slip.

You can look at it two ways. They won't give raises because they're in maximum money saving mode. Or, they will give raises because less reliance on hourly bodies frees up more money for the rest.

Gone fishin

Depends on who you ask. The board is always tight-lipped about raises and they don't let stuff slip.

You can look at it two ways. They won't give raises because they're in maximum money saving mode. Or, they will give raises because less reliance on hourly bodies frees up more money for the rest.
Some other ways is , go hard merging , making everyone employees and getting back to being a great delivery company.
Reason 1 , because the company is turning into an embarrassment going to contractors and unreliable service.
Reason 2 , there’s a real shot at being number one delivery company. UPS drivers got a great financial contract , that said they just added over 2 billion in wages. They are going to have to increase shipping cost double digits to keep up.
Customers will beg fedex to have them if the company becomes reliable and professional again. We can stay cheaper and raise our wages

Guitarman01

Some other ways is , go hard merging , making everyone employees and getting back to being a great delivery company.
Reason 1 , because the company is turning into an embarrassment going to contractors and unreliable service.
Reason 2 , there’s a real shot at being number one delivery company. UPS drivers got a great financial contract , that said they just added over 2 billion in wages. They are going to have to increase shipping cost double digits to keep up.
Customers will beg fedex to have them if the company becomes reliable and professional again. We can stay cheaper and raise our wages
Even if given the possibility of being on FedEx payroll and delivering both air and ground in some sort of truck between the sprinters and grounds fleet, the thought of topping out at 28 an hour with sporadic step raises doesn't sound very appealing. At least with express you knew you were on mostly light duty and in comfortable vans to deal with the circle jerk.

Gone fishin

Even if given the possibility of being on FedEx payroll and delivering both air and ground in some sort of truck between the sprinters and grounds fleet, the thought of topping out at 28 an hour with sporadic step raises doesn't sound very appealing. At least with express you knew you were on mostly light duty and in comfortable vans to deal with the circle jerk.
I’d start either west or the east. Build my hubs , acquire 900 ‘s and slowly merge , making the promise that contractors can either go into management or we’ll buy his equipment. Drivers can go right in to an employee role.
At the end of the day profits would soar after the country is complete. Quality drivers who care , I’m not saying 50 an hour, but upper 30’s.

Gone fishin

I think that is exactly the plan, and FedEx is OK with being embarrassing and unreliable.

Otherwise the great, ponderous heads would've made different decisions.
I think that , but I don’t think they thought it would fail so bad. Express and ground can’t keep workers because of the issues on both sides

Mutineer

I think that , but I don’t think they thought it would fail so bad. Express and ground can’t keep workers because of the issues on both sides

Many people (including myself) believe that FedEx "can't keep workers."

But is that really true? And if it is true, FedEx is obviously OK with that.

Otherwise, they'd treat their people better and stop being such meanies. Right?

If Amazon can find enough luckless stooges to work in their warehouses and deliver, then FedEx can too.

Or maybe there really isn't such a "labor shortage" that the plasticky politicians and their lap-dog news media keeps telling us.