UPS doctors in the back pocket of UPS

C

Chicks Dig the Uni

You Need A Lawyer Like Erin Brockovich. Check Lawyers That Will Take Your Case And Not Charge You Unless You Win A Settlement.

Uncle Rico

Something as routine as a pickup changes your life for the worse. Your story is painful to read, ninetheless far oo common I would think. If this stuff was floating around when you arrived, it seems that the company did not follow their own hazmat response plan and their employees would have had to have breathed this stuff in also.
Others have said it, get yourself one of those ambulance chasers that advertise on TV. After all that has happened, you may have to swallow pride and go with one of those lawyers, although they get results. You could not have been the only person affected by this spill. There has to be warehouse workers, dock personnel unless they wear respirators 24/7.
Unfortunately, UPS can say it isn't our problem, even though they don't seem to understand that giving a 17 year veteran the shaft is a big public relations problem. Sounds like they will do the minimum to still appear "caring for an employee". We would all hope that UPS would go to the company and start screaming about how they exposed one of their employees--a good one at that--to a hazmat situation, and you (phenol mfg) aren't doing anything for him. Again, we know the extent of UPS's compassion.
Man I feel for you. You should be only worried about which new toy to buy your little girl and instead you have to deal with all of this crap. Keep the faith and fight those mf-ers for every last penny you can get. You deserve it.

tieguy

Banned
If you applied for workmans comp and were turned down then you should be able to apeal the decision in front of the states workmans comp commission. no disrespect but for someone who has been out of work for 15 months you seem to be pretty naive about your options.

tieguy

Banned
I would also be curious as to why you allege these doctors are in UPS's back pocket. They do risk serious financial liability if they blatantly screw up.

A

Anon

They do risk serious financial liability if they blatantly screw up.
Not for a misdiagnosed problem.(which is what they may claim) Good luck trying to find an attorney to take a case for this type of mistake.(been there done that) Lawyers will only take on malpractice suits if you have an x-ray of a scalpel or something left in you after surgery or they operated on the wrong part of your body.Doctor misdiagnosed problems are expensive and hard to prove that's why lawyers won't take them. Unfortuneatly I know this first hand.

trickpony1

Gosh, Tie, does the phrase "prove it" ring a bell here?

It's not a secret that the company doctors are gonna do exactly what the company tells them to do, all the while covering their "rear" along the way.

I agree with "anon"

Anyone who thinks the company doctors don't act in collusion with the company is a fool. They aren't worried about "serious financial liability".

tieguy

Banned
Not for a misdiagnosed problem.(which is what they may claim) Good luck trying to find an attorney to take a case for this type of mistake.(been there done that) Lawyers will only take on malpractice suits if you have an x-ray of a scalpel or something left in you after surgery or they operated on the wrong part of your body.Doctor misdiagnosed problems are expensive and hard to prove that's why lawyers won't take them. Unfortuneatly I know this first hand.

I don't know. There are a lot of lawyers out there making a nice living arguing workmans comp cases in front of state boards.

dammor

Perhaps the rules are different in other areas, but here we are only required to see the company doctor for our physicals and to be released to go back to work after we have been released from our regular doctor after a work injury.
No doubt we are pushed to go first to the company doc but we have a choice. You could be carried in on a stretcher with a limb hanging on by a tendon and the company docs will wrap an ace bandage around it and send you back to work. No thanks... I have managed to stay injury free for a good 10 years now but if I were injured my regular doc will be the one making the decisions on my behalf.

In all fairness though I must say that years ago we had a very good company doc. He was young and very caring. He didn't last long. He moved on to a much better practice and was replaced by one who believes if you can almost touch your toes you are a candidate for the triathlon.

Vincent, someting stinks for sure in your case. Either you are not screaming enough or something else is going on. How can you be injured by a spill while at work and be off for 15 months and not be on comp? I know the system is a bit screwed up, but this is over the top. Sounds like you need a different lawyer. Good luck and keep us posted.

A

Anon

I don't know. There are a lot of lawyers out there making a nice living arguing workmans comp cases in front of state boards.
Yes I agree,I had a very good one who won my case for me in a W/C claim but it was their doc who put me in that position yet no lawyer would take my case against him even those recommended by my comp attorney.

trickpony1

I don't think 15 months is an inordinate length of time for a w/c case to go to court. I know of at least 2 w/c cases that took that long to go to court.
Is the court system clogged up thereby backlogging cases? Is your attorney backlogged to the point that it takes that long?

Can you declare bankruptcy to keep from losing your house? Can you rent your house for enough money to make the payment? Can you get SSDI?

trickpony1

Just an afterthought......

If I were this individual, I would gather up all my medical documents pertaining to/documenting this case and immediately apply for SSDI.
Call the social security office nearest you and ask that the paperwork be sent to you. Expect to be denied on the first application so don't get discouraged and depressed just immediately apply again. I would also send any/all applications for SSDI by certified mail (return receipt requested). I would also NOT get an SSDI attorney until after the SECOND application has been denied.

Additionally, it would help if I knew whether this individual was an honorably discharged from active duty member of the armed forces. Why you ask? Trust me, I am very acquainted with a situation of this nature.

Good Luck.

upsgoingdown

upsgoingdown
what did you end up breathing in???
First I would like to thank everyone that has been supporting me on this issue, the chemical is called phenol, it has a life spand in air of about 45 minutes the spill accured around 7:15 I arrived about 7:30 hazmat showed up around 10:30 and they still found traces of it.

upsgoingdown

upsgoingdown
Hello everyone I just got back home and I want to answer everyone ?'s so I will start by e-mailing you all with an answer to your ?'s thanks again for your support.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Hello, my name is Vincent, I have worked for UPS for 17 yrs. I was doing a pickup when a spill occurred and the company I was delivering to told me that I was breathing in cough syrup but I got sick, ultimately, I called the police, hazmat was called in after I left the building and now my lungs fill up with mucus when I walk around my house or do anything that I'm used to doing. I have been to 7 doctors 3 which are UPS doctors 3 pulmonologist and all 3 say I have severe obstruction in my lungs. UPS doctors after 8 months say I have asthma and scarred lungs and central nervous system damage. That's just a couple of my health issues, but it has been 15 months and I still have not received any workers compensation, my family and I just bought a home and my wife and I just gave birth to a new little baby boy. We don't know what to do but we know that local 177 in nj won't help us and UPS won't return my calls what can we do. I have a website setup at upswrong. I would truly appreciate any feed back or stories that I know many of you out there can relate to. On my site, (upswrong) I have a link to the advertiser news. In this link, there is a newspaper article that advises the working class of the atrocities that my company has bestowed upon my family and I
I used to deliver to a company that made generic cleaning products. It had a long history of OSHA and EPA violations. Once I got some kind of rash on my arm because I leaned against the wrong thing. They were a high claim account, and the Customer Service Rep, (back when we had them!) went in and raised all kinds of Hell at them. The point is, go after the manufacturer, and hire a good lawyer that specializes in that type of case. I would go after our employer too, after all, you were on the clock at that location doing business for them. Good Luck to you, and God bless you, sometimes justice takes a while.

ham65

If UPS is deigning your workers comp claim.....it will take a very long time before your attorney gets you into NJ comp court.He should eventually get you workers comp.This might take several court appearances.The judge will order Liberty Mutual (who is adjuster in NJ for UPS) to give you back comp along with authorizing treatment.Liberty Mutual will have a list of Doctors for you to choose from.You don't have to go to a specific doctor just one that's on Liberty Mutual's list.Find one with a good reputation,they are out there.Avoid dealing with UPS!!

Next your lawyer should file a third party suit.This is against the company,owners of the building,ect... where you got hurt.UPS actually likes third party lawsuits.Liberty Mutual(which is the agent for UPS) will get 2/3 of all monies paid back from your third party settlement..... medical,comp and the comp settlement. Liberty Mutual even has the right to file a third party lawsuit on your behalf so they can recoup their money!!!

The State of NJ will not pay you disabilty if workers comp is pending.Your lawyer can petition for temporary disability,social security.You really need to get workers compensation benefits.Be a squeaky wheel when it comes to local 177.Stay on top of your attorney!! If he dosen't help get a new one!! Remenber,this takes time but you should eventually get comp.

I did email you

upsgoingdown

upsgoingdown
Sounds Like You Have Been There Before. I Would Appreciate It If You Could Supply Me With The Attorney That You Used For Your Case. Maybe I Don't Have The Right Att. But He Has First Filed The Wc Claim And To The Best Of My Knowledge, My Third Party Case Depends Greatly On The Decision Of The Wc Judge. Here Is My Phone # (973)764-3105 Call Me So We Could Talk Directly About My Case
Thanks For Your Support And Time
Vincent

hoser

Industrial Slob
If your conspiracy theory of doctors being in the back pockets is true (which I doubt it is), this is a major, MAJOR ethical breach. If you're able to prove it, you should take it up with the doctor's professional association, but I have doubt that you have the proof, primarily how you set up a website and go on web forums to argue your point.

Contact a lawyer.

abbear

The injury happened on the job - that is workers comp. What is you state workers comp board doing for you? This has been asked of you but no response - makes me wonder if you have actually filed with them. A lawyer to go after the company where the incident occured is a really good idea but that can take time. In the meantime what are you doing about your comp claim?

upsgoingdown

upsgoingdown
HOSER:
your first doubt is my proof. believe me when I raise my right hand to god and tell you that i have three files of proof and contradictions from the ups doctors. I also have a witness that works at one of the medical facilitites and has saw on more than one occassion UPS "suits," demand to the doctors to put the employees back to work the same day. and to reply to your second statement about how I am going about getting my story out there by using a web page/internet, I am all ears if you have a more efficient way of telling the public my story. For 17 years i have heen a team player and in my time of need, management has turned their back on me. You see, drivers and management are not on the same team. We are union and they are corporate. The two should closely be working together however we reamain on opposite sides. thanks for your insight...........keep in touch
p.s. Any veteran UPS driver who has been to UPS doctors before knows exactly what I am talking about.

Vincent:ohmy: