Ups Driver attacked by negligent owners pit bulls

Ms.PacMan

First year as a driver I heard leaves rustling and when I turned around to see what the noise was there was a dog mid-air with his jaws open. He bit my forearm before I could even react. Luckily the owner was in hot pursuit and called his name. I got 7 stitches for a puncture that was a 1/2 inch.

They stitch dog bites loosely because of the bacteria in a dog bite. If that driver got 90 stitches he really needed a couple hundred stitches.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
They are incredibly strong but I have a 200 lb weight advantage. So if I know I am going to get bit I will try to get it to lock on to my forearm. Once its on my arm, I can get it up into the air and then body-slam it into the ground by landing right on top of it with all 270 lbs of my body weight. If possible I will also drive my knee into its ribs/midsection on my way down. Pit bulls don't have arms or hands so if they are locked onto you then you can take the thumb of your free hand and use it to dig their eyeball out. You have to put fear aside and unleash your inner animal in order to survive a fight with a pit bull. It is for that reason that I make every effort to befriend the pit bulls on my route with biscuits. Its better to make friends than enemies.
you really are going to lift a pitbull by your arm?? ive kicked dogs off before but never dealt with a pit bull. can you carry pepper spray?

im glad I don't deliver packages anymore.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Everyone has a plan till they get hit.

Also it was two pitbulls. Would love to hear the way you Karate masters would handle that. :)

I sure hope he comes out of this with just some scaring. I can't imagine the pain of two pitbulls ripping and tugging on each of my arms. Next time you play with your dog and he is pulling on the rope or toy. Lift him up and think about that being your arm. Yikes.
there is going to be emotional scarring. you can feel it in his voice.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
First year as a driver I heard leaves rustling and when I turned around to see what the noise was there was a dog mid-air with his jaws open. He bit my forearm before I could even react. Luckily the owner was in hot pursuit and called his name. I got 7 stitches for a puncture that was a 1/2 inch.

They stitch dog bites loosely because of the bacteria in a dog bite. If that driver got 90 stitches he really needed a couple hundred stitches.

The worst part about that is, "leaves rustling" never sound like "leaves rustling" for you and I ever again.

That sound makes you instinctively prepare for war.

With all due respect to veterans, it's probably as close to PTSD as I'll ever get.

SCV good to go sir.

This is why I've started carrying the milk bone treats. Not that it would have done any good in this situation, but if it's one less dog growling at me that's good enough.

There really should be harsher penalties for negligent dog owners. Way too many of them out there. Deluded :censored2:s.

JL 0513

Totally messed up incident. The whole front of his shirt was soaked in blood, unbelievable. It's not like he even went into a gated yard and was attacked. For a customer to open a door and then two pit bulls come running out of a home with little warning is just sad. Nothing a driver can do.

These customers don't seem to understand that these dog encounters can be career ending events, never mind possibly life ending. Yet they order a package, know it is coming, and yet don't restrain their dogs. They attack causing possible injuries that end our career and have lifelong consequences on our family's well being. Almost no driver can replace the income we're earning.

A young driver right in my center lost his career just a couple of years ago do to a dog. His whole life will never be the same. He's now making maybe 40% of what he was and is stuck there.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
you really are going to lift a pitbull by your arm?? ive kicked dogs off before but never dealt with a pit bull. can you carry pepper spray?

im glad I don't deliver packages anymore.
Pepper spray doesn't work on dogs.

Am I going to lift a pit bull up when its locked on to my arm? If that's what I have to do in order to body slam it into the ground then you're damn right I will. A good sized pit bull weighs around 70 pounds. If my adrenaline is going good then I wont have any trouble getting that much weight into the air. Getting my arm mangled is a far better choice than having it lock on to my neck or my face or my balls.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I saw a package sitting on the clerk's table the other day with a service cross on it with 'NI1 Loose Dog'. Made me smile.