Ups Driver attacked by negligent owners pit bulls

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This is why I've started carrying the milk bone treats. Not that it would have done any good in this situation, but if it's one less dog growling at me that's good enough.

There really should be harsher penalties for negligent dog owners. Way too many of them out there. Deluded :censored2:s.
A lot of dogs...even mean ones....will "catch" a treat that you toss at them simply out of habit. I have seen aggressive dogs literally stopped in their tracks by a biscuit. At the very least, if you wind up having to stomp the crap out of the dog in self defense, the biscuit is evidence that you at least tried to use non-violent methods first.

It seems counter-intuitive, but the fact that I am on a rural route where most dogs are running loose is actually an advantage. If the dog is loose on the property, I can see it and evaluate its behavior prior to exiting the vehicle. Its the dogs we don't see ahead of time that bite us.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

First year as a driver I heard leaves rustling and when I turned around to see what the noise was there was a dog mid-air with his jaws open. He bit my forearm before I could even react. Luckily the owner was in hot pursuit and called his name. I got 7 stitches for a puncture that was a 1/2 inch.

They stitch dog bites loosely because of the bacteria in a dog bite. If that driver got 90 stitches he really needed a couple hundred stitches.

Just curious, how much of a financial settlement did you get from the owner's insurance company?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had our dog bite PCM yesterday. I had two delivery stops where I had to deal with dogs. Both times I made sure to not put myself in to a potentially unsafe situation by DRing the pkgs away from the house and typing "dog" in the remarks column.

I also had a 130 lb table from Lowes that looked like it had been run over several times before being loaded. I marked it as "trashed" in the remarks column.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Pepper spray doesn't work on dogs.

Am I going to lift a pit bull up when its locked on to my arm? If that's what I have to do in order to body slam it into the ground then you're damn right I will. A good sized pit bull weighs around 70 pounds. If my adrenaline is going good then I wont have any trouble getting that much weight into the air. Getting my arm mangled is a far better choice than having it lock on to my neck or my face or my balls.
i was just thinking that with the beasts' teeth embedded in your arm the pain would be too excruciating to lift arm . but you're right. the adrenaline pumping .

this guy didn't have a chance to react. those 2 shooting out the door.

Bottom rung

Married? Children? Reckon your pride would sate their hunger?
I'd like to call it courage. I chose to live my life on my terms. I will not be made to blame for an ignorant dog owners actions by a company who cares about nothing but the bottom line. So you're telling me that if the company made you to blame you'd just lay there and take it? ...after a follow up story...if you were to be discharged, because of courage, pride, and refusing to take blame for an animal. The company would have a lawsuit on their hands and a potential change to the way this stuff is approached by corporate.

anthonyb1203

If my dog attacked a human like that I would put them down. Some dogs have it in them and some do not
This is true. I had a pit and it was the sweetest dog ever ( I know most dog owners say this but it's true). On the other hand, I was almost demolished by a pit on a Saturday delivery. Thought that was the end of me lol. It totally ate the box that I was holding to keep it off me.

anthonyb1203

I too had a strategy for bad dogs but, it vanished when faced with the angry jaws of a red-nosed demon about 6 years ago.

I did everything right. Shook the gate. Called out "UPS"! Nothing. Proceeded onto the property and out of nowhere, she came.

Had the package in one hand and DIAD IV in the other. She came at me full speed and got a snout full of amazon which she promptly took away from me. She kept coming and got a couple whacks from the board, till the handle broke off and it was her and I.

She bit me on both legs and hands(one hand required stitches) before the owner came out and restrained her. The whole thing happened in a matter of seconds.

I had a plan but, it evaporated when confronted with reality.

I'd bet that's how most dog bites/attacks go down.
Anytime I get to a house with a fence, package immediately goes in a DR bag and I leave it hanging there or drop it over the fence, in a residential area. If there's a gate/fence, I don't even chance it. Open or closed. I'll beep the horn and that's that. Hate dogs and not taking chances

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Everyone THINKS they know what they will do when a dog attacks, but the fact is, it happens too fast for you to do what you think you might. You may think you'll just body slam a dog, but until it happens, there is no telling.

I drove package car for over 20 years, and was bit nine times. What stands out to me was almost every time it happened, it was almost over before you recognized what had happened. All but two of those attacks were ankle biters. The other two were separate rottweilers. Those two dogs sent me to the hospital. The rottweilers both were inches away from getting me before I even knew they were there.

For me, the only time you think about what you would do in a dog attack, is afterwards, when you replay it in your mind. I would say, unless you specifically train, repeatedly, how to react in a dog attack, you're just acting on instinct. My guess is the vast majority of drivers are in a retreat mode, regardless of what they say they would do.

Ironically, I was charged only once by a pit bull. As it happened, it was at the end of an absolutely rotten day. I was pissed about something, most likely a over-dispatched day. All I remember was nothing was going right, and it was going to be a long night. Anyway, I entered a yard with a fence, and what do you know, here comes a pit, straight at me. Without even thinking, I rushed forward at the dog, screaming and cussing. I know I wasn't even angry at the dog. It was just the last straw in a rotten day. Happily, the dog reversed course, and disappeared in the back yard. I dropped the package on the sidewalk, and turned around. The dog never did show his face. I could say I planned to do that if charged, but that would be a lie. It just happened.

Again, you just never know what you'll do.

SCV good to go sir.

A lot of dogs...even mean ones....will "catch" a treat that you toss at them simply out of habit. I have seen aggressive dogs literally stopped in their tracks by a biscuit. At the very least, if you wind up having to stomp the crap out of the dog in self defense, the biscuit is evidence that you at least tried to use non-violent methods first.

It seems counter-intuitive, but the fact that I am on a rural route where most dogs are running loose is actually an advantage. If the dog is loose on the property, I can see it and evaluate its behavior prior to exiting the vehicle. Its the dogs we don't see ahead of time that bite us.

There's this little terrier on my training route that won't stop barking. Most annoying dog ever when it comes to barking. Today I threw a biscuit at it, it barked at me for a bit longer, walked over to the biscuit, smelled it, and for the first time in over 30 days... That little mother :censored2:er finally STFU. As I walked away, instead of barking, it just stared at me while eating the milkbone, lol. Going to use to these milk bone treats until I retire.

overflowed

Once was doing a rural route where the dogs are all left off leash everywhere. Had a presa canario come creeping out the forest at full speed. Threw a hand full of dog treats in the air behind me while i'm bookin. Jump in the truck and finally turn around and he's chillin eating all of them wagging his tail. If the treat fails the knife is coming out. Simple as that.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Everyone THINKS they know what they will do when a dog attacks, but the fact is, it happens too fast for you to do what you think you might. You may think you'll just body slam a dog, but until it happens, there is no telling.

I drove package car for over 20 years, and was bit nine times. What stands out to me was almost every time it happened, it was almost over before you recognized what had happened. All but two of those attacks were ankle biters. The other two were separate rottweilers. Those two dogs sent me to the hospital. The rottweilers both were inches away from getting me before I even knew they were there.

For me, the only time you think about what you would do in a dog attack, is afterwards, when you replay it in your mind. I would say, unless you specifically train, repeatedly, how to react in a dog attack, you're just acting on instinct. My guess is the vast majority of drivers are in a retreat mode, regardless of what they say they would do.

Ironically, I was charged only once by a pit bull. As it happened, it was at the end of an absolutely rotten day. I was :censored2: about something, most likely a over-dispatched day. All I remember was nothing was going right, and it was going to be a long night. Anyway, I entered a yard with a fence, and what do you know, here comes a pit, straight at me. Without even thinking, I rushed forward at the dog, screaming and cussing. I know I wasn't even angry at the dog. It was just the last straw in a rotten day. Happily, the dog reversed course, and disappeared in the back yard. I dropped the package on the sidewalk, and turned around. The dog never did show his face. I could say I planned to do that if charged, but that would be a lie. It just happened.

Again, you just never know what you'll do.

Dogs size you up like any other thing they consider to be an intruder, but if you can bring on the serious attitude, angry face, snarling teeth, low pitched "get your ass back on the porch" face them, even advance on them and making yourself look larger by raising your shoulders and arms, you have a good chance of sending a single bad dog packing. Two bad dogs, really bad and all worked up, all bets are off.
I had a kid release the families American Bulldog and it came sailing off the porch straight for me. I just looked way meaner back at him and yelled for him to get back in the house, like I would my own pit bulls, and he did. The dog absolutely has to know that you will kill it if it tries to hurt you. It has to see a lion staring back at him.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There's this little terrier on my training route that won't stop barking. Most annoying dog ever when it comes to barking. Today I threw a biscuit at it, it barked at me for a bit longer, walked over to the biscuit, smelled it, and for the first time in over 30 days... That little mother :censored2:er finally STFU. As I walked away, instead of barking, it just stared at me while eating the milkbone, lol. Going to use to these milk bone treats until I retire.

Glad it worked out for you but you should have asked the owner for permission to give their dog(s) a treat.