UPS driver killed in accident

Dustyroads

I did a google search earlier this evening when I read about the accident, using these key words, ups driver head on crash, and it was amazing the number of our package cars that have been involved in terrible head on crashes in the past few years. None have turned out well. It's sobering.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
OMG This is sooo sad. 37 years old. Heartbreaking. RIP brother and prayers to the family and friends.

As Helen asked, please let us know where we can send cards.

Helen, federal mandate is recaps cannot be used on steer tires, and for a vehicle to swerve the way it appears our pkg car did, this would probably be a steer tire blowout.

Wonder if the truck had retreads on them to cause the blowout? When our truck tires start wearing, we have a heckuva time convincing the mechanic that we need new ones. And in these increasingly money-tight times, I only imagine it will get worse.

This makes me think of another point which I failed to mention earlier. The following are what my on-car relayed to me.

I'm not sure what the problem was but a mechanic had gone out there to meet him. The mechanic was following Reagan just a car or two back when the tire blew out. He said the truck "exploded" and both drivers were thrown from their vehicles, a distance that the mechanic thought was around 70 feet. I don't know the details of the injuries (and I don't really care to) but he said he was certain he didn't suffer.

ps - I'll look into getting an address where cards can be sent for those who expressed they wish to do so.

S

speeddemon

The picture of the truck with all the delivery notices was really touching. My thoughts and prayers to his family.

The picture of the truck with all the delivery notices was really touching. My thoughts and prayers to his family.

I agree. We should start a national drivers fund to help out in time like this,not as a company or union,drivers helping drivers. I`d throw $20 a week in.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Re: Discuss: UPS truck and a septic truck collided head-on near Elgin

My thoughts go out to all involved,its been a tough summer for us at UPS between accidents and the shootings, and the stabbing.Please every one be careful out there!You may not realize how dangerous our jobs are. Its only cardboard & their silly numbers,ITS YOUR LIFE !!!!!

705red

Browncafe Steward
I agree. We should start a national drivers fund to help out in time like this,not as a company or union,drivers helping drivers. I`d throw $20 a week in.
Count on $20 from me to.

It has not been a good last week with all of the tragedies that have struck fellow UPSers.

My prayers for all involved.

txupser

This is just awful. I work in an extended center 25 miles north of Houston and this was the topic of pcm this morning. my thoughts and prayers for everyone affected.

whiskey

I work in that center and knew the driver as a pretty good acquaintance at work. The worst part of this story are the little details.

He was loaned to another center yesterday. He was on an entirely different route than he usually runs and was in a different package car than he usually drives. It really was a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

His truck is still sitting in the parking lot at work. I took a pic tonight on the way out of all the InfoNotices with messages written from other drivers.

http://i32.tinypic.com/33pbvk4.jpg

UPS refused to set the flag out front at half staff as "that is reserved for Presidents", but I saw three drivers do it themselves yesterday and it was still that way today. Good for them... I thought. :)

R.I.P. Reagan.
I remember in 1989 there was a spike in package car fatalities. It is a very sad day when we lose a driver. We all work very long days and we have all had our share of "near misses". My prayers go out to his family.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I do wonder what it was that needed a road call by the mechanic. For the mechanic to be following, they either just got it fixed, or he was following him to the next stop to fix it.

d

Ewave

Ex-Driver
This is so sad.

I left Brown almost 10 years ago and have not looked back but I do remember how they were making this push, at least in the DFW area, to bring on "safer" package cars which basically ment that the step was closer to the ground than the older cars and that they had permenant jump seats and not the ones that you slip into the frame. So no airbags still? Those things were bad 10 years ago with no airflow, few safety features that had not been around for 30 years and it looks like they have not changed at all.

I bet they will say that he didn't do a proper morning inspection of his tires and stearing etc especially since it wasn't his regular truck.