UPS Driver killed in Colorado Springs

quad decade guy

I used to park trucks on night sort and my first week I never used the seatbelt because it helped me save some time.
Got called into the office and was informed they have sensors that tell them when the trucks move without a seatbelt engaged and that they knew it was me and to stop.
If they can tell that just for a guy parking on night sort there's no way this guy was cruising down the highway with no seatbelt on.

Can't disagree with any of this. Shouldn't take too long to determine if it failed or not or if he was wearing it.

Scuderia

Sometimes the belt will feel like it’s clicked into the buckle, but if you pull it hard enough it will come off. Gotta push that sucker in there hard.

Stories like this makes me doubt this job is even worth all the aggravation and wear and tear on your body. UPS is probably already training his replacement, and all the customers he serviced are more worried about their packages being late than this man’s life.

quad decade guy

I'd be willing to bet that the seat belt failed somehow.

You dont get to 35 years safe driving at this company like this man did by ignoring its #1 safety rule.

RIP.

With all respect. I have seen some of the most unsafe driving and safety practices by high seniority circle of honor drivers. Stupidly unsafe. Now, does that apply to this tragedy? I don't know. Can a seatbelt fail? You bet. Can you come out of a seatbelt? Sure. All kinds of possibilities. So telematics said he was wearing it yet cops say no? Odd to be sure.

quad decade guy

Sometimes the belt will feel like it’s clicked into the buckle, but if you pull it hard enough it will come off. Gotta push that sucker in there hard.

Stories like this makes me doubt this job is even worth all the aggravation and wear and tear on your body. UPS is probably already training his replacement, and all the customers he serviced are more worried about their packages being late than this man’s life.

He thought it was worth it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

With all respect. I have seen some of the most unsafe driving and safety practices by high seniority circle of honor drivers. Stupidly unsafe. Now, does that apply to this tragedy? I don't know. Can a seatbelt fail? You bet. Can you come out of a seatbelt? Sure. All kinds of possibilities. So telematics said he was wearing it yet cops say no? Odd to be sure.

As a member of the 25 year Circle of Honor club I can tell you from experience that it takes luck and a little assistance from mgt to make it to 25 years accident free.

M

MenInBrown

“ wasn’t wearing a seatbelt “ AKA seatbelt failed due to lack of maintenance by company
Yea I don’t believe for one second a circle of honor driver was on a hwy not wearing a seatbelt. It’s no longer a thought, it was a habit for him. I call BS.

M

MenInBrown

He was probably burnt out and exhausted. Hell, we all are. Dude was 71.
Dominoes got sued for 78 million bc of their 30 minutes or less campaign. This should start happening to ups. I haven’t delivered after 9 in many years. It’s my safety I worry about. I’ve told my sup before when he got mad at the stuff I was bringing back, “if you can’t have me done before 9 then you suck at your job”!

Est.1998

The replacement is the cover that ran his route whenever he was on vacation because if he was on the road until 9pm, none of the senior drivers are bidding on that route.

quad decade guy

Yea I don’t believe for one second a circle of honor driver was on a hwy not wearing a seatbelt. It’s no longer a thought, it was a habit for him. I call BS.

Ok. You don't believe it. So? To be clear: I tend to not believe it either but that's my intuition. However, something doesn't add up. We'll see. Again, Circle of Honor, multi decade service providers can be some of the most miserable, unsafe individuals on the planet. That sword cuts both ways.

quad decade guy

As a member of the 25 year Circle of Honor club I can tell you from experience that it takes luck and a little assistance from mgt to make it to 25 years accident free.

Yes. I've known plenty that have been given a pass on accidents. I've also seen many that simply weren't reported. You know-"hey we can't do our job without scrapes and dings...." Ever heard that? This from high, high Circle of Honor drivers. Mgt. makes or breaks you on this.

rod

Retired 22 years

And unfortunately most the drivers are thinking about how they moved up a notch

A steer tire blowout is my worst nightmare. Hasn’t happened to me yet and pray it never does. This is why I pretrip the living hell out of my tires. I’ve been told not to use service brakes if this happens as that will make it pull harder to the side of the blowout. If you have a single trailer on you, use the hand valve. Don’t slam it down, just slight up and down movements. Use the trailer to slow you down. If you’re bobtailing or pulling doubles, you’re just in for the ride.

I had a steer tire blowout on i84 in Oregon. I was pulling doubles and going 65mph when it happened. Keep on this gas if you have your wits about you when it happens. Just don't hit the brakes. All your weight will shift right to the rim where you lost the tire and you will wreck. It was a very violent experience and the truck was suddenly handling like it was on roller-skates in an ice rink. Mine was a brand new tractor with just 200 miles on it at the time of the incident. As soon as the blowout occurred my tractor immediately dropped to about 40mph, and from there I just let it coast for about a mile before the truck finally came to a stop. Number one rule DON'T HIT THE BRAKES.

I've always considered myself very fortunate to have randomly stumbled across a video online about steer tire blowouts and how to handle them. It was never taught in feeder school and had I not seen the video, I would not have properly reacted, because your gut instinct is to stop the vehicle as quick as possible when something like that happens.

Poop Head

Judge me.
I had a steer tire blowout on i84 in Oregon. I was pulling doubles and going 65mph when it happened. Keep on this gas if you have your wits about you when it happens. Just don't hit the brakes. All your weight will shift right to the rim where you lost the tire and you will wreck. It was a very violent experience and the truck was suddenly handling like it was on roller-skates in an ice rink. Mine was a brand new tractor with just 200 miles on it at the time of the incident. As soon as the blowout occurred my tractor immediately dropped to about 40mph, and from there I just let it coast for about a mile before the truck finally came to a stop. Number one rule DON'T HIT THE BRAKES.

I've always considered myself very fortunate to have randomly stumbled across a video online about steer tire blowouts and how to handle them. It was never taught in feeder school and had I not seen the video, I would not have properly reacted, because your gut instinct is to stop the vehicle as quick as possible when something like that happens.
Yall got some serious balls pullin triples up there.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I've always considered myself very fortunate to have randomly stumbled across a video online about steer tire blowouts and how to handle them. It was never taught in feeder school and had I not seen the video I would not have properly reacted, because your gut instinct is to stop the vehicle as quick as possible when something like that happens.
@11.19igrad did you read this?
Never taught what to do in feeder school when a steer tire blows.
Hmmmm.
Sounds kind of familiar.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Telematics did show that his seatbelt was on. The truck rolled on the passenger side, so guessing that the seatbelt failed somehow? He was a great guy, a friend to everyone and always smiling. One of the best.

Can't disagree with any of this. Shouldn't take too long to determine if it failed or not or if he was wearing it.
Evidently the police were wrong.
They arent even close to being as articulate as our scrutinization processes upon first glance.

If the vehicle landed on the passenger side my first instinct as I'm hanging there in mid air would be to push the seatbelt button and get down.

quad decade guy

Evidently the police were wrong.
They arent even close to being as articulate as our scrutinization processes upon first glance.

If the vehicle landed on the passenger side my first instinct as I'm hanging there in mid air would be to push the seatbelt button and get down.

Ok. But words like "evidently" and "my first instinct"(while pondering not in a crash) is pure speculation. And you know he was hanging there conscious and capable of coherent thought? And what is "our scrutinization processes"? And the police have been proven wrong? With all respect.