UPS Driver killed in Colorado Springs

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Djalu-Roo, May 22, 2020.

1. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Well-Known Member

They recently changed the age requirement for RMDs to 72.

2. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

Number one reason to retire asap.

3. quad decade guy

quad decade guy Active Member

Can't disagree with any of this. Shouldn't take too long to determine if it failed or not or if he was wearing it.

4. Scuderia

Scuderia Active Member

Sometimes the belt will feel like it’s clicked into the buckle, but if you pull it hard enough it will come off. Gotta push that sucker in there hard.

Stories like this makes me doubt this job is even worth all the aggravation and wear and tear on your body. UPS is probably already training his replacement, and all the customers he serviced are more worried about their packages being late than this man’s life.

5. quad decade guy

With all respect. I have seen some of the most unsafe driving and safety practices by high seniority circle of honor drivers. Stupidly unsafe. Now, does that apply to this tragedy? I don't know. Can a seatbelt fail? You bet. Can you come out of a seatbelt? Sure. All kinds of possibilities. So telematics said he was wearing it yet cops say no? Odd to be sure.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. quad decade guy

He thought it was worth it.

7. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Well-Known Member

As a member of the 25 year Circle of Honor club I can tell you from experience that it takes luck and a little assistance from mgt to make it to 25 years accident free.

8. MenInBrown

MenInBrown Well-Known Member

Yea I don’t believe for one second a circle of honor driver was on a hwy not wearing a seatbelt. It’s no longer a thought, it was a habit for him. I call BS.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. MenInBrown

MenInBrown Well-Known Member

Dominoes got sued for 78 million bc of their 30 minutes or less campaign. This should start happening to ups. I haven’t delivered after 9 in many years. It’s my safety I worry about. I’ve told my sup before when he got mad at the stuff I was bringing back, “if you can’t have me done before 9 then you suck at your job”!

10. Est.1998

Est.1998 Active Member

The replacement is the cover that ran his route whenever he was on vacation because if he was on the road until 9pm, none of the senior drivers are bidding on that route.

11. quad decade guy

Ok. You don't believe it. So? To be clear: I tend to not believe it either but that's my intuition. However, something doesn't add up. We'll see. Again, Circle of Honor, multi decade service providers can be some of the most miserable, unsafe individuals on the planet. That sword cuts both ways.

12. quad decade guy

Yes. I've known plenty that have been given a pass on accidents. I've also seen many that simply weren't reported. You know-"hey we can't do our job without scrapes and dings...." Ever heard that? This from high, high Circle of Honor drivers. Mgt. makes or breaks you on this.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. rod

rod #1 on Upstates "list"

And unfortunately most the drivers are thinking about how they moved up a notch

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  14. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

Circle of Liars club?

15. FeederHippo

FeederHippo New Member

I had a steer tire blowout on i84 in Oregon. I was pulling doubles and going 65mph when it happened. Keep on this gas if you have your wits about you when it happens. Just don't hit the brakes. All your weight will shift right to the rim where you lost the tire and you will wreck. It was a very violent experience and the truck was suddenly handling like it was on roller-skates in an ice rink. Mine was a brand new tractor with just 200 miles on it at the time of the incident. As soon as the blowout occurred my tractor immediately dropped to about 40mph, and from there I just let it coast for about a mile before the truck finally came to a stop. Number one rule DON'T HIT THE BRAKES.

I've always considered myself very fortunate to have randomly stumbled across a video online about steer tire blowouts and how to handle them. It was never taught in feeder school and had I not seen the video, I would not have properly reacted, because your gut instinct is to stop the vehicle as quick as possible when something like that happens.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. quad decade guy

Can be...

17. Poop Head

Poop Head Lovin' every minute of it!

Yall got some serious balls pullin triples up there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. Boywondr

Boywondr The truth never changes.

@11.19igrad did you read this?
    Never taught what to do in feeder school when a steer tire blows.
    Hmmmm.
    Sounds kind of familiar.

19. Boywondr

Boywondr The truth never changes.

Evidently the police were wrong.
    They arent even close to being as articulate as our scrutinization processes upon first glance.

If the vehicle landed on the passenger side my first instinct as I'm hanging there in mid air would be to push the seatbelt button and get down.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  20. quad decade guy

Ok. But words like "evidently" and "my first instinct"(while pondering not in a crash) is pure speculation. And you know he was hanging there conscious and capable of coherent thought? And what is "our scrutinization processes"? And the police have been proven wrong? With all respect.