UPS Driver vs Military Career

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
My father-in-law did 14 years in the "chair force". My wife grew up on Oahu.

I've got nearly two decades in and I'm trying to see UPS being better...

Hmmm chair force

Ask that marine grunt who is fighting when he hears that brrrrrt of that a-10

Ask the army grunt which branch the guy standing next to him who called in those A-10s is in

Ask that downed navy pilot who showed up to rescue him behind enemy lines

Ask that army grunt who fought next to him ON THE GROUND in Iraq as infantry when the army called for reinforcements

Air Force, most misunderstood understated FIGHTING military Branch

There's a reason there are berets in the Air Force and it isn't because they were handing them out at Office Depot

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Hmmm chair force

Ask the army grunt which branch the guy standing next to him who called in those A-10s is in

Ask that army grunt who fought next to him ON THE GROUND in Iraq as infantry when the army called for reinforcements

There's a reason there are berets in the Air Force and it isn't because they were handing them out at Office Depot

Apologies if, I offended you. I learned that term from my father-in-law. He embraces it.

No apologies to Dave as, I fully intended to offend him. :)

She is a beautiful beast though...
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1454810074.651192.jpg

Holydriver

Hmmm chair force

but the chair force has an air side and the ground side. those in the air side live better than those on the ground side. just how the service workds

L

Little Brownie Girl

you mean the navy i assume....
The AFB that is lauching pole to pole lauches in Lompoc California is a great base to request for Air Force. My son was in the United States Navy SEALS for 7 years as a corp medic. I was suggesting that if the poster wanted air force there are great bases in CA, I assure you I know the difference.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The AFB that is lauching pole to pole lauches in Lompoc California is a great base to request for Air Force. My son was in the United States Navy SEALS for 7 years as a corp medic. I was suggesting that if the poster wanted air force there are great bases in CA, I assure you I know the difference.

I was 8 years active duty AF and was never asked where I wanted to be stationed.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
but the chair force has an air side and the ground side. those in the air side live better than those on the ground side. just how the service workds
I was ground side.

Good friends with lots of crew cheifs

The only people that got anything better than anyone else were the medical group troops

Hottest most intelligent women, best dorms. Services chicks were for a good time but your girl friend was from the med group

Overpaid Union Thug

Hmmm chair force

I hate to say it but chair force is not inaccurate. Why? Because around 80% (if not higher) of the air force has nothing to do with planes or any of the combat AFSCs (thats the same as an MOS for those of you not familiar with air force terminology) that you just mentioned and many of that 80% spend allot of time in a chair. And a large majority of them are basically non essential (no strategic or combat value) and only exist to serve as logistical/medical services for the bases they are on.

That leaves us with the drone pilots, cyber geeks, and anyone involved with satellites, missile defense, and nuclear command and control. Those fields are critical "chair force" jobs but they, along with the aviation and combat roles you mentioned, make up a small fraction of the total air force. In all honesty..... we don't need the other 80% of the air force.

;)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You never did a remote tour?

Everyone I know picked their next duty station after a remote

I stand corrected. I was allowed to choose my "follow on" after serving my remote tour in Sicily. We were supposed to go to Torrejon (Spain) but for reasons that are not important now we turned it down and went to West Texas for 4 years.

AllOnTheHorses

To the OP.. my kid is interested in an aircraft mechanics career.. spoke to AF recruiter. The recruiter seemed to offer good advice in that the people who specialize in the heavy aircraft will have an easier time using their military time as work experience in the civilian world. So the advice was, not to be pulled into the ultra cool fighter jet world but learn to work on planes that are similar to what is used in the civi world.