UPS Driver vs Military Career

Gear

Parts on Order
You never did a remote tour?

Everyone I know picked their next duty station after a remote

Picking a duty station in the Marines was called filling out your "Dream Sheet." Everything depends on the needs of the Marine Corps. "Whats that Marine? You want to go to Pensacola Florida? How about the 2nd Marine Division in North Carolina, thats just north of Florida."

Overpaid Union Thug

Does the Air Force still take its PFT on an exercise bike?
Maybe for certain people. Their PT standards have actually gotten harder over the years. More on par with the army. But, much like the army, there are still plenty of heavy turds with lots of rank walking around the bases. As well as the PT track.

rod

Retired 22 years
Picking a duty station in the Marines was called filling out your "Dream Sheet." Everything depends on the needs of the Marine Corps. "Whats that Marine? You want to go to Pensacola Florida? How about the 2nd Marine Division in North Carolina, thats just north of Florida."

The Army wasn't any better when I was drafted. I was trained as a wheeled vehicle and track vehicle mechanic and when sent to Vietnam I spent my time as an Armored Personnel Carrier (APC) driver for 6 months and 50 caliber machine gun operator for 6 months.

L

Little Brownie Girl

To the OP.. my kid is interested in an aircraft mechanics career.. spoke to AF recruiter. The recruiter seemed to offer good advice in that the people who specialize in the heavy aircraft will have an easier time using their military time as work experience in the civilian world. So the advice was, not to be pulled into the ultra cool fighter jet world but learn to work on planes that are similar to what is used in the civi world.

There is a group called Airframe and Powerplant mechanics who are work on single and twins and follow the FAR regulations, do owner assisted annuals every year and 100 hours , etc at private airports. You can also be the Inspector Authorization after 3 years of knowledge based airframe mechanics, where you "check off" or flight approve the mechanics annuals. You have to check the logbooks of the aircraft for every recall ( AD Airworthy Directive) in case a previous mechanic signed off the aircraft without doing the repair. You also can make a lot of money installing after market modifications by filing FAA 337 etc... Start here http://www.faa.gov/mechanics/ and then go to www.landings.com for all kinds of cool A&P information.

L

Little Brownie Girl

There is a group called Airframe and Powerplant mechanics who are work on single and twins and follow the FAR regulations, do owner assisted annuals every year and 100 hours , etc at private airports. You can also be the Inspector Authorization after 3 years of knowledge based airframe mechanics, where you "check off" or flight approve the mechanics annuals. You have to check the logbooks of the aircraft for every recall ( AD Airworthy Directive) in case a previous mechanic signed off the aircraft without doing the repair. You also can make a lot of money installing after market modifications by filing FAA 337 etc... Start here http://www.faa.gov/mechanics/ and then go to www.landings.com for all kinds of cool A&P information.

PS Tell your son to make sure he recerts over by taking all the civilian FAA testing at the same time. A pilot's license in the military is not the same as a civilian (in type) pilots license or A&P/IA. There is a process for certification from military that the FAA will recognize and credit for civilian but it has to be requested and then pre-authorized by the FAA , Oh yes the FAA has a form for EVERYTHING! This will be seamless on discharge if the right questions and requests are filed first so he doesn't have to retake or repeat anything when your son gets out of the military. I worked for a flight school and slept with my mechanic!! ( Whatever it takes to get your feet in the air!) lol

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

PS Tell your son to make sure he recerts over by taking all the civilian FAA testing at the same time. A pilot's license in the military is not the same as a civilian (in type) pilots license or A&P/IA. There is a process for certification from military that the FAA will recognize and credit for civilian but it has to be requested and then pre-authorized by the FAA , Oh yes the FAA has a form for EVERYTHING! This will be seamless on discharge if the right questions and requests are filed first so he doesn't have to retake or repeat anything when your son gets out of the military. I worked for a flight school.

There was no need to add the last part.

clean hairy

PS Tell your son to make sure he recerts over by taking all the civilian FAA testing at the same time. A pilot's license in the military is not the same as a civilian (in type) pilots license or A&P/IA. There is a process for certification from military that the FAA will recognize and credit for civilian but it has to be requested and then pre-authorized by the FAA , Oh yes the FAA has a form for EVERYTHING! This will be seamless on discharge if the right questions and requests are filed first so he doesn't have to retake or repeat anything when your son gets out of the military. I worked for a flight school and slept with my mechanic!! ( Whatever it takes to get your feet in the air!) lol
Mile high club?

Gear

Parts on Order
normally it's when your battle buddy gets hit with art.... and thats the only way to "iv " him

I know, you misunderstood my post. Only a Marine would lay down on a piece of wood in the dirt, surrounded by other Marines smoking cigarettes, and allow the Corpsman to stick an IV in his chest for training purposes. Times like this are what make lifetime Marine memories. Good memories.