UPS Drops A Very Important Package

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I thought at first he wasn't 55, but it says he is. So does this mean that if I'm 55+ and decide to keep working then I drop dead my wife wouldn't be entitled to the spousal share of my retirement?

The only way she wouldn't be entitled is if you didn't meet the age and/or years of service requirement or if she had signed paperwork turning down her share of your pension.

beentheredonethat

I wish you were right Upstate. But look at the article. It said because even though he signed paperwork he was "working" and therefore wasn't retired yet therefore his estate did not get the retirement of the guaranteed 10 year payout. I wonder if it has to do with "normal" retirement is 65, 55 is for early retirement, and since he wasn't retired, he didn't get it.

oldngray

nowhere special
The way I understand it is he could have retired sooner but wanted to get 1 more year of credit and died before his planned retirement date,. If he had scheduled an earlier date to officially retire his family would have gotten the benefits but slightly less than with the extra year of credit.

beentheredonethat

Mgmt maxes out at 35 years of credit, so there was nothing to gain. The only thing was that if a mgmt person works for one day in the year they get their vacation and option days for the year. That was suggested to him by the UPS benefits person (I assume in HR). He said OK, and then worked until Jan 8th and was on "vacation" for the rest of January and Feb. He died while on the last week or so of vacation. That's pretty rotten of UPS.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Mgmt maxes out at 35 years of credit, so there was nothing to gain. The only thing was that if a mgmt person works for one day in the year they get their vacation and option days for the year. That was suggested to him by the UPS benefits person (I assume in HR). He said OK, and then worked until Jan 8th and was on "vacation" for the rest of January and Feb. He died while on the last week or so of vacation. That's pretty rotten of UPS.
Actually, it is "rotten" of the administrators of the UPS Employee Pension Program.
No doubt, the circumstances suck.

beentheredonethat

Photog, In the article it says " UPS Employee Services told him if he worked at all in January, he’d be entitled to his full yearly allotment of vacation days. A representative suggested a last day of actual work: January 8, 2010. Adding 6 weeks vacation and 5 personal days, his “retirement date” would be February 28."

To me, that makes it "ROTTEN" of UPS to give him information that cost his children hundreds of thousands of dollars. When they "UPS" starts suggesting when to retire they should also list all the PROS (which they did) and all the CONS which they did not. This is a pretty good definition of "Malpractice" in my opinion.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Photog, In the article it says " UPS Employee Services told him if he worked at all in January, he’d be entitled to his full yearly allotment of vacation days. A representative suggested a last day of actual work: January 8, 2010. Adding 6 weeks vacation and 5 personal days, his “retirement date” would be February 28."

To me, that makes it "ROTTEN" of UPS to give him information that cost his children hundreds of thousands of dollars. When they "UPS" starts suggesting when to retire they should also list all the PROS (which they did) and all the CONS which they did not. This is a pretty good definition of "Malpractice" in my opinion.
I agree with your clarification.

10 point

They probably sent flowers. The card read something like this..."Because we are a publicly traded company....... blah, blah, blah".