UPS Employee Dies After Being Pinned By Truck

jennie

prayers to the family and the driver who has to deal with the mental aspects of what happened.

Email out today. the employee was a haz mat responder cleaning up a paint spill. Was not wearing the vest and did not place a cone to block the lane.

Everyone be careful for your safety. Expect the company to more vigorously enforce the yard procedures. Don't get burned.

So sad and scary at the same time, my thoughts are so with that family. Yes, safety FIRST, I think everyone needs to realize every day at ups, is a dangerous day.

upssup

All of the policies and proceedures are not worth the paper they are written on if someone does not follow them.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Those who wish to post their sentiments can do so right? Or are you speaking for all of us?
Do you want to know the gruesome details of this fatal accident? We know the outlines of the tragic event.
Good Point.

Hey, Dream of Jeannie?
LOL, I think it's, Dream of BBAG.:wink2:

wow; do you think its ok if someone wants some detail so we an avoid a similar accident in the future?
Another good point.

All of the policies and proceedures are not worth the paper they are written on if someone does not follow them.
And/or if they are not enforced.

browniehound

prayers to the family and the driver who has to deal with the mental aspects of what happened.

Email out today. the employee was a haz mat responder cleaning up a paint spill. Was not wearing the vest and did not place a cone to block the lane.

Everyone be careful for your safety. Expect the company to more vigorously enforce the yard procedures. Don't get burned.

OUCH! No vest or cone! Next time we think UPS is overdoing yard-control think of this story. My goodness.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Something very similar happened at the Meadowlands (NJ) a number of years ago.

I too feel for the driver and the gentleman's family.

There's a reason for all those safety rules, and people don't pay attention to them until someone gets hurt. You might get away with something 99 times but that 100th time it comes up and bites you.
I was spotting a trailer on a door and was putting it on the wrong door, the sup jumped off the dock to tell me. After I put the trailer on the right door I went in and chewed him out for jumping off the dock and for being in the yard without a safety vest on. What if I had realized my mistake, didn't see him, and ran him over?
All this for packages!!! None of what we do is life or death, granted do the best job you can, but we're only talking about packages! Let's all go home at the end of our shifts.
I agree with you for once. While we get these safety things drilled and drilled there is a reason. There is also the human factor, called we forget , we are hurried, we made a mistake, which is why all have to be trained.
That aside, its tragic, Ill say a prayer, and hope the family (s) find strength in the good memories of a loved one lost.

ups1990

Exactly - thank you.

Thanks, Tieguy, for the details. It has nothing to do with morbid curiosity, it has to do with trying to figure out where the failure was.
Hey, 'Livin & Shirley'. You state that all you want is deatils, so as to not have this happen again. Then why would you write about stopping the "me too" comments. You clearly say, it can get mundane. when everyone expresses the same type of emotions. Why not just ask this in the first place.

Hey, 'Livin with STD's'. A member has posted photos of His newborn and started a thread. Now, many people have expressed their congradulations to Him. Should we stop, because we're all in essence, saying the same thing?

One more thing, 'Livin the Vida Loca'. What's up with your golfing buddy Eldrick, the ball washer, calling me names.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Every night our building has same day pickup, which means that customers are constantly driving their cars on to the property , we only have one operating gate for the feeders or any other PC to enter or worst yet just walking in anywhere they want to.
We try to explain to them that its a safety issue but most are just to dumb to get it.
{ see other threads about UPS security guards }

gulf3950

My condolences to the family, I work in Gulfport and while it is a horrable accident I still cant get over how he didnt see the trailer?

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Hey, 'Livin & Shirley'. You state that all you want is deatils, so as to not have this happen again. Then why would you write about stopping the "me too" comments. You clearly say, it can get mundane. when everyone expresses the same type of emotions. Why not just ask this in the first place.

Hey, 'Livin with STD's'. A member has posted photos of His newborn and started a thread. Now, many people have expressed their congradulations to Him. Should we stop, because we're all in essence, saying the same thing?

One more thing, 'Livin the Vida Loca'. What's up with your golfing buddy Eldrick, the ball washer, calling me names.

You lost me at "Liven and Shirley".....
You lost me at "Liven and Shirley".....

(I run up & hug you, roll credits....)

srudbyups

This happened in Lenexa also-prayers go out to all involved! Our driver did everything right, guy moved over after driver had cleared door, such a couple of great guys both of them! It took our driver a long time to work thru it! Accidents do sometime happen!

The safety briefing in our building (same district) indicated that the employee was at a dock door without a safety vest or cone, and was listening to an MP3 player. Since no details are being released I can only go on my briefing and have no first hand knowledge. As a Supervisor we have fought the use of MP3 players as a hazard not only to your own safety but the inablity to respond to others' safety as well.

My prayers and condolences to everyone on that sort. We are all affected by this loss. ANY fatality is one too many.

A

anonymous6

Last night before I read this thread I was backing up an empty trailer and did not see anyone near. I was using my 4 ways and horn. I stopped the trailer and got out to roll down landing gear when I heard a noise behind the trailer.

It was one of those yard supes opening the back door to see if the trailer was empty. he had a vest on and was walking/checking trailers along a back row. I did not see him and it scared the heck out of me.

I yelled at him because he did not wait for me to clear the trailer. just a kid too.

After reading this story, I am making out a formal report today. These yards are dangerous and there needs to be a "zero tolerance" policy on following proper yard procedures.

steeltoe

So sorry to hear the news. Over here in Atlanta, we were told it was a female employee. I just don't understand how they get stuff like that wrong.

Anyway, do any of you other guys and gals have to drop empty's in gravel parking lot with no lighting? I have always considered this extremly dangerous. We have sups out doing yard checks in the middle of the night while we are backing into complete darkness, other than our red trailer taill lights.

rushfan

My condolences also. It is sad.

One night after the "T" sort, some packages were found in the building. The trailer where the packages belonged was the middle box in a set of triples. The sup failed to check with the feeder driver, and commenced to open the seal of the trailer. Luckily, the feeder driver thought to check his mirrors before pulling out. He saw some motion between the trailers. He slammed on his brakes. The sup was lucky the driver didn't move quick. The feeder driver let the sup have it for about 5 minutes.

As mentioned UPS yard control procedures can be boring, but there is a reason they are in place. When I shifted/spotted trailers, I made sure no one was behind me. It can add a minute of time, better that, than a fatality.

UPSNewbie

My condolences also. It is sad.

One night after the "T" sort, some packages were found in the building. The trailer where the packages belonged was the middle box in a set of triples. The sup failed to check with the feeder driver, and commenced to open the seal of the trailer. Luckily, the feeder driver thought to check his mirrors before pulling out. He saw some motion between the trailers. He slammed on his brakes. The sup was lucky the driver didn't move quick. The feeder driver let the sup have it for about 5 minutes.

As mentioned UPS yard control procedures can be boring, but there is a reason they are in place. When I shifted/spotted trailers, I made sure no one was behind me. It can add a minute of time, better that, than a fatality.

There was a sup here that opened the swing doors on a trailer before it was docked. Once the shifter started moving, a few boxes fell out and the sup tried grabbing the box before it was squashed. Luckily I wasn't paying attention to my work (unloading one of the smalls bags that was piled up) and yelled at him in time. He thanked me after a 10 minute chew session with the shifter.

blue efficacy

***, you'd think with all the yard safety stuff they have in place these days, stuff like this wouldn't happen anymore.

Truly a tragedy :(
How was that unnecessary profanity? The man died for christ's sake. If using a minor swear word that can be used in PG movies is ever acceptable, i would think it would be to express disdain over such a tragedy.