UPS employee falls ill due to extreme heat

iamupser

Grease Monkey
memphisruck:861377 said:
...I see it so many times at my hub people fall out from "heat exhaustion" but really they just don't want to work and want to get paid.

Maybe you could fill in @ the local ER, there are probably some fakers with heart attacks and strokes just trying to get disability insurance too.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I think Dragon said it best:

"cross the vehicle around back, use the hand rail, and nothing bad will ever happen to you"

oh wait, that was another thread :D

jedispork

Someone passed out at our center but they came out ok. I haven't seen it yet but there is a paper going around questioning us about what we ate before work and if it was a heavy meal etc. Avoiding heavy meals and caffeine seems to help but questioning people about what they ate is getting ridiculous. Its very humid here which is whats causing a lot of the problems. Not many fans and some they took down and replaced it with a scanner. The bathrooms are closed in with no air circulation and everything is soaked in moisture. Not very fun if you have to drop a poop.

I'm not saying I like the hot weather but its better than winter. I bring about a gallon of gatorade/water. I'm not into the bug fountains that are never cleaned. Sometimes I can feel chunks going down my throat when I drink out of it.

The worst part is when they are not fair about who they let have days off. When its hot a lot of guys will take maybe 1 preload a week off if allowed. However we have certain people that call in several times a week and they also get the first choice to go home. When it cools off people magically start coming to work.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Hubrat is correct. When I started on the preload in 1978 the feeders and facilities were hot in the summer and cold in the winter. No one forced you to work for UPS. Either suck it up or find another place to work. McDonald's has A.C. Would you like the value meal today?
Not a very good attitude towards your brothers and sisters.

From CEO to the porter, everyone should be treated with the same respect and humanity.
And while we have been conditioned to learn we do not get that from management any longer, its sad to see our own brothers and sisters not being empathetic towards someone who cannot tolerate the heat.
Sometimes people just cannot "suck it up". Iam fine in the heat, although it may slow me down a bit for my own good. I am also fine in the cold but absolutely despise it. But not everyone is as blessed as I. And I realize that. I worked all day on a broken ankle, doesnt make me superman, it just didnt feel that bad. Everyone has different tolerances. Because someones does not meet your standard for pain, heat or cold tolerance, does not mean they should work at McDonalds. They probably kick butt at other times.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Too many people acting like supervisors telling us all to 'suck it up'. Makes one think about all the things one could tell them to go suck. I am grumpy as hell today and don't really care if someone doesn't like.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Too much crap from a couple of yahoos. Life. Comp. Life. Comp. Trapped. I could go on for days.Thank you for asking, I.B.

Too many people acting like supervisors telling us all to 'suck it up'. Makes one think about all the things one could tell them to go suck. I am grumpy as hell today and don't really care if someone doesn't like.

I couldnt have said that better myself !!! That womans' keepin it REAL!

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
I never said suck it up. I said I don't think package cars will or should be outfitted with ac. IMO. It's just not practical.

BLACKBALLED

A simple thread getting out of hand! The fact is before and during your shift you should always stay hydrated, keep a jug or bottle of water with you at all times in this heat, it has always been that way in the summer at UPS especially if you are loading in the trailers or unloading in the Hogs. The only thing that center should make sure of is that there are fans facing the trailers and trucks while employees work but again always stay hydrated and dont come to work with a hangover or bring a soda because that will drain you.

iowa boy

Too much crap from a couple of yahoos. Life. Comp. Life. Comp. Trapped. I could go on for days.Thank you for asking, I.B.

If it will make you smile, we all still want you on the BC. Well at least most of us. :happy-very:

Hope things get better for ya.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I agree package cars do not need air, at least where I am, I dont know about the historically hot places. Its only been really hot here as of late, and doesnt usually get that way, so for now, yes we suck it up. If we can. I dont know the answer for those who cant, prayer I guess. Or vacations.
The thread is about someone getting ill from the heat, hope he is Ok. Once it happens, you cannot stop it, unless you drop dead. And sometimes depending on age, health, etc of people, it can happen no matter what you do to prevent it. Sometimes the body just says screw this.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I never said suck it up. I said I don't think package cars will or should be outfitted with ac. IMO. It's just not practical.
Fyi, the fedex cars here all have ac. Just saying. Some sups who don't work in them don't believe they need fans either.

Integrity

Binge Poster
To All,

I hope the employee refered to in this thread who suffered from heat related illness is ok.

If anyone has a follow up please post it.

Integrity believes that all UPS vehicles and facilities should be air conditioned.

It is a disgrace that this is not the case at UPS.

There are no acceptable excuses for this not to be so in the year 2011.

There is one and only one reason for this and that is greed and it is wrong.

Sincerely,
I

To All,

I hope the employee refered to in this thread who suffered from heat related illness is ok.

If anyone has a follow up please post it.

Integrity believes that all UPS vehicles and facilities should be air conditioned.

It is a disgrace that this is not the case at UPS.

There are no acceptable excuses for this not to be so in the year 2011.

There is one and only one reason for this and that is greed and it is wrong.

Sincerely,
I

With all due respect......thats the first time Ive read something of yours and agreed 100%. Well said....but will fall on deaf ears as usual.